Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Air Conditioning Blowing Hot Air

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
'13 S 60kw. 52k miles (2 weeks CPO).

During the fathers day heat wave, we had a horrible experience. Sunday morning the A/C was working fine. We parked outdoors for about an hour and a half during the weekend heat wave. When we were back in the car, it would only blow hot air. Ext temp 113F. Vehicle interior temp 125F. I toggled every climate control button and nothing fixed it. Range mode off. A/C on Lo and all Auto.

Drove the hour in the ridiculous heat, free way driving. It just kept pumping out hot air. Actually stopped by a SC to get help and they were unable to help me on a Sunday. Ran all the reboots and no change. Kept on driving in the heat...

This morning the A/C is working just fine again and my SC appointment isn't until Friday.

I've read on thread like this, but their hot air was persistent, their A/C didn't recover like mine. Hope there is enough data in the vehicle that Tesla SC can figure out what happened. Anyone else experience this?
Hi ZBB. Here is something you won't come across every day...depending on which model you have, I'm the actual person who built and tested your air con system (prior to installation) at Eberspacher uk in Ringwood. The air con unit is basically the same as in any other car. My advice is to get it regased. All the components (drier, condenser, compressor etc) are sealed and tested to 30 bar prior to shipping but over time, as with any car, the system may lose integrity. A regas process will determine if there is a leak and with what component. By the way, when I left Eberspacher back in 2010 we were still ironing out the wrinkles such as the air con wiping out the radio.....did they actually manage to sort that out?!! ☺ we had fun with the preproduction model. It's a lovely thing to drive. Good luck and I hope it gets sorted out. By the way, look for the initials MH and a date on a little sticker on the control unit....that's me ☺

Well I can say that this happened to me and was very bad very dangerous, was driving back from Cali to phoenix on the i-10 in august, outside temp 110, about an hour from phoenix no cool air started to come out so I pulled over at a gas station as everyone including my 2.5 year old and 6 week old was sweating/over heating. Called SC while we waiting in gas station they couldn't find anything, got back in the car and drove for about 30 mins everything was ok then all of a sudden no cool air and we had to pull over again. Waited and called SC again but they still couldn't find anything. Obviously with an interior temp of 100+ and 2 little ones in the car in a very remote area of AZ we were lucky that we could pull over and stop somewhere with AC as there are 40 to 50 mile stretches of nothing but hot desert there. Took it into new tempe SC and they had it for a few days and said that they replaced the battery chiller and TXV Assembly but was kind of seemed fishy as they originally said that they couldn't find anything. Fast forward to about 2 weeks ago and again no cool air, cabin temp 100. Wife and I fiddled with the setting but nothing worked except leaving the car off for 20 minutes and coming back to it. Not sure what to do, I feel that if I take it into SC they will just say the same thing. Not sure how an AC can work and then not work and then start working again? Never had a car have this even close and I have driven a lot of them over the years. After the first incident wife thought I should get legal with them as their is obviously something tech inside of the car that is failing, no warning lights ect. We drive out to cali a lot especially in the summer but a little leary of doing that now with this car which is not good.

I ended up on this thread because I'm experiencing this in my late 2016 delivery S.

Two random times it just wouldn't provide cold air. Took it in for servicing and they said nothing showed up in the logs.

That was about a month ago and I just experienced it again. Earlier today it was pumping out nice crisp cool air. Now nothing.

Haven't been driving hard or anything. Just small roads around my neighborhood looking at open houses. Temp outside is just under 70 degrees.

Happened to me earlier today - S60D, Jan 2017 build.

Called Tesla, tech could not see anything, suggested using the POWER OFF button to force the car off and see if it worked when it came back on. Issue remained. Tech also noted he could see something in the logs over the phone but I did not think to press for the details. Ended the call with him referring the case to my local SC (Houston...duh).

After hanging up with him I tried to power off the car a few more times and on the 3rd time the AC came back on.

The IAH SC called about 10m after that and the local tech said there was a known issue with the firmware for AP 2.0 S's which created an error preventing the AC from kicking on. Current work around is to power down complete (again via the POWER BUTTON), wait a few minutes, and then restart. Local tech intimated this would be addressed in the next firmware update.

• Informative
Reactions: croman
It was 75F in Chicago today. I finally tested my AC and it worked. The car was fairly hot after sitting the sun. I can't imagine what I would've done with a baby and no AC. Rolling down the windows helps when driving locally but not as useful on a highway.

I've had the same problem occur about 4 times since my Model S60 was delivered at the end of last year. I've just called the SC in Melbourne Australia and was advised that this is a known software bug which will be fixed in the next release, due within a few weeks. Fingers crossed.

Happened to me 2 days after model S60 delivered. Was near SC when it happened (24^ celcius). They tried rebooting nothing fixed in. Booked for service 2 days later when started working again. Do I cancel the service?

We were talking about other things but I believe it was recovered, vacuum tested and then filled back up. He had this with him:

Premier R-134A Refrigerant Recovery, Recycling, & Recharging
OK, thanks for the info. I'm going to assume they replaced your evaporator core. I wonder what is causing these evap core failures. Automotive AC systems can often be like witch-craft, one unit will work fine, the next one, with all the same parameters, gives trouble. I wonder if some sort of assembly process contamination is clogging the Tesla/modern equivalent for the (old Ford) expansion valve.

Anyway, lets hope you are good to go.

Very cool (no pun intended) that a mobile service was employed to successful deal with this issue. Your car gets to stay in a controlled environment (i.e. your driveway). Cheers.

This is the best image of what I could find that it looked like.

http://i.imgur.com/2ajxuvB.png

To me it looks like a plate chiller that brewers use to chill wort. It was the best term I could come up with =)
If your photo is what it looked like versus the actual part, then I'd say it may have been a (coolant) temperature sensor that meters refrigerant versus the actual evaporator core. Most evap cores, being in the firewall, are a major PITA to remove and replace.

The connection point of the rubber hoses, and the actual rubber hoses, in the part in the photo, do not appear to be designed for use in the refrigerant loop portion of the system, thus my wild a** guess. Thanks.

After 3.5k miles in my 60D and the first bit of "hot" weather - 21 deg celsius - this happened to my car. The a/c was blowing out warm air into an already unbearably hot car - interior temp was 40 deg +!

Called the SC and they have pushed some firmware to my car which should solve the problem - I will find out in 1 hour and 20 minutes when the update finishes...
Tesla need to sort this issue out as it seems to be a common occurrence...

I had this same problem as well. I called Tesla service center, and they said there were some errors in my logs, and to bring it in, so I made an appointment. However, the next morning when I got in the car, it was resolved, and the A/C was back to blowing cold air, and I canceled my appointment. This happened right after my 8.1 upgrade.