Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Air Suspension deflating slowly - SC will replace bascially everything

rns-e

May 5, 2013
Denmark
My 2015 P85DL is losing air in the suspension slowly overnight. It seems to be the rear right that drops and sometimes both rear and front right are deflated while the left side is still inflated, and other times it's both sides in the rear that seems deflated. As such it is not that big a deal as the compressor quickly fills up the system when starting the car. Sometimes while driving I can hear a small burst of air being pumped by the compressor, but not every time I'm out driving. I can't really say for sure, but the deflation also seems to have a correlation with the ambient temperature.

So I had the car at the local SC to do a diagnosis and they came back the following message: 'we can not do a full diagnosis before we have replaced the compressor, the solenoid block and the RH rear air spring. This may solve the problem, but we can't be sure before we have replaced those parts - and it will cost you around $3,500'

So my take on this is that there is no way that all three parts are faulty, they just don't know where the leak is and have wasted my money diagnosing without a result. The compressor sounds healthy and it does not work hard at any point. Filling the system in the morning it works just like it would from low to high, no longer.

So I was thinking if the solenoid block or the rear air spring would be the best bet to start with? Does anybody have any experience that can help me?

Doanster1

Feb 14, 2018
Oregon
Yes, start by removing the frunk and checking the solenoid and visible parts of each air line. Use the soapy water method after looking for obvious chaffing spots that could result in micro holes.
Check the “I fixed my air leak for $1” thread. Sorry, it’s late and I’m too lazy to search for the exact thread.

• Helpful
Reactions: 2101Guy and byeLT4

beatle

Aug 31, 2019
Springfield, VA
I don't know why they'd replace the compressor unless they have diagnosed a leak there. Sounds like they just want to throw parts at the problem to extract cash from you and not even attempt to diagnose where the leak(s) may be. I agree with the advice you've already gotten in this thread to check with soapy water. Fittings are most suspect, but there have been cases of chafing ruining a line.

Reactions: cwerdna and byeLT4

rns-e

May 5, 2013
Denmark
I had a talk with them and they confirmed that the rear air spring is leaking (as I expected). I asked if they could confirm that the block and compressor was leaking as well and hard pressed they said that they had not confirmed that on my car, but it was their experience that condensation and in connection with a leaking air spring that the compressor and block needed changing as well. I asked them to change the air spring and I will take my chances on the compressor and block as it has not been running for long periods as the leak was very minor.

Reactions: TSLA Pilot

mrjedistud

Aug 3, 2015
New York
I had a talk with them and they confirmed that the rear air spring is leaking (as I expected). I asked if they could confirm that the block and compressor was leaking as well and hard pressed they said that they had not confirmed that on my car, but it was their experience that condensation and in connection with a leaking air spring that the compressor and block needed changing as well. I asked them to change the air spring and I will take my chances on the compressor and block as it has not been running for long periods as the leak was very minor.

Hi, how much did the repair cost you. I'm having a similar issue with my 2013 MS P85. I'll convert from DKK to USD.

rns-e

May 5, 2013
Denmark
I think it was just below $1,000 for the airspring and $300 for diagnose and work - have not seen the final number yet. Got the car back yesterday and the airspring alone seemed to do the trick

• Informative
Reactions: bhzmark

P100D_Me

Nov 12, 2018
Australia
I had a slow leak as well a few years ago, they just replaced the solenoid block and both front air struts. I guess they didn't want to waste time diagnosing it and replaced known problem parts (yes, it fixed it).

rns-e

May 5, 2013
Denmark
@P100D_Me - how much did it set you back?

I hate that 'just throw parts at it' approach. Given the cost associated with repairing the air suspension I think it would be ok to have a few sensors telling you where in the system there is a leak.

• Helpful
Reactions: davidc18

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC