Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Air Suspension now a requirement for 6/7 seats? What about 75D orders?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just received the call from TM, so basically I can pay to upgrade the air suspension for 1200 and get a June delivery, or keep my coil suspension and expect a Sept delivery. I told her I would think about it and talk to my wife, but I am pretty sure we'll stick with the Sept delivery. Their promise on dates is questionable and could be a sales tactic.

BTW I configured my 75D on 1/15/16.

Will they waive the change fee? Was June your original date or are they offering to get the X done sooner?

All: For those that don't remember I was the one that called and upgraded to the Smart Air Suspension for $2500 when it was rumored that there wasn't actually any change necessary. They originally said there's nothing they could do price-wise, but I called them again and they lowered it to the $1250, but I was certainly anxious during the call. I guess it's what I deserved for abandoning our (former) group of 6/7 with no SAS early. Won't happen again guys! :)

All: For those that don't remember I was the one that called and upgraded to the Smart Air Suspension for $2500 when it was rumored that there wasn't actually any change necessary. They originally said there's nothing they could do price-wise, but I called them again and they lowered it to the $1250, but I was certainly anxious during the call. I guess it's what I deserved for abandoning our (former) group of 6/7 with no SAS early. Won't happen again guys! :)

Heh - did they give you any expectation around delivery date?

@Oloron I called the Fremont sales number and the guy transferred me to Tesla Headquarters after he helped me a bit. It's definitely worth a call to see. However, when we get our VIN number my DS said they should have a much clearer time frame, so hopefully we get the VIN soon! By my math, we need the VIN by Wednesday to have a reasonable shot at June delivery. May 11 VIN plus 1 month to production = June 11 Production. 1 week of production and QA = June 18. Then an optimistic 12 days of transport gets us to late June. I'm just hoping we Massachusetts people get it in June because I have a long trip planned the weekend of July 2-4! Let us know if you hear anything interesting!

• Informative
Reactions: mlouie23
Anyone every figure out why SAS is a "requirement" now; maybe related to the weight of the car as 6/7 seater?

I ordered mine as a 5-seater with SAS because I wanted to get extra ground clearance ....have not gotten any VIN or estimate and I am not in a real hurry

I don't think it's an engineering issue nor parts availability issue. There are plenty of Model S with coil suspension and some prefer the coil suspension ride characteristics vs the air suspension. No DS seems to know that it was even required or why it's now required.

I believe there's benefit to getting SAS with the tow package and maybe some drag efficiency when cruising on the highway without towing. I'm not planning on using my 75D to tow and I think this is just another "upgrade" campaign to get more out of Model X sales.

I seem to recall one of the signature P90D towing video showing how reduced his range became when he towed his boat just to try out the feature. Most agreed that it's not the weight, but the drag coefficient now reducing range by 10% or more when towing.

For what it's worth, I took the upgrade for $1,250. They confirmed June/July delivery with air and Sept delivery if staying with coil. I'm thinking July is more likely for east coast given transit times, but we can always dream. For what it's worth, I asked when I'd likely get any follow-up info/confirmation and they estimated 10-14 days.

Air was never remotely worth $2,500 to me. However, ~3 months of gas for the current car is a couple hundred dollars and adding a $2,500 option is probably adds a couple hundred of today's dollars in eventual resale value.

In the end, ~$700-$800 for some of the Air benefits along with earlier, more definite delivery date seemed worth it.

• Informative
Reactions: mlouie23
Wonder if they will allow other changes as well, without the $500 fee. I might be willing to upgrade to air suspension if I could downgrade my black leather seats to the black multi-pattern seats. Those have been getting good reviews.