Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Alas, new problem: Windshield Stress Fracture. Anyone else?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Real Time Windshield cracking

Interesting. In 30+ years of vehicle ownership, I've had to replace exactly one windshield. My wife's car caught a stone, and the chip turned into a large crack after about 1 1/2 years. Otherwise, never even had the slightest problem with windshields. All kinds of snow/ice/ flying debris issues here in Canada too!

I also have only had one windshield crack - early 70's. The windshield had a stone chip for months & months. I was driving in So. Co. or No. New Mexico in bitter cold - like -15 degrees F. I actually watched as the chip started to develop into a crack and the crack started to grow. The whole process took 5 - 10 minutes.

Anyone got their windshield replaced recently? I've been told they currently don't have any spare windshields for replacement so I'm stuck unable to drive my Model S now. My crack (it was actually a result of a really bad rock scraping against the bottom edge of the glass) has grown a bit too big for me to be comfortable driving it anymore. I did get a hole drilled to help prevent the crack from spreading but it was out in the sun this weekend and grew an extra 3 inches.

Hey Mrbry,

You mentioned having it drilled, but not glued? I used windshield glue in my cracks (one about 10", the other about 20"). It's not perfect, and if the light hits is just right you can still see the crack, but it's stopped both from growing anymore, and most times they are invisible, which is good enough while I wait for a windshield that has EZPASS holes in it :)

Peter

Here is what I used, though I'm sure others are just as good.

Fix-A-Flat - Fix-A-Windshield, Do-It-Yourself Windshield Repair Kit (161890) : Amazon.com : Automotive

Anyone got their windshield replaced recently? I've been told they currently don't have any spare windshields for replacement so I'm stuck unable to drive my Model S now. My crack (it was actually a result of a really bad rock scraping against the bottom edge of the glass) has grown a bit too big for me to be comfortable driving it anymore. I did get a hole drilled to help prevent the crack from spreading but it was out in the sun this weekend and grew an extra 3 inches.

Thanks for the tip! I'll try this out, got nothing to lose!

Hey Mrbry,

You mentioned having it drilled, but not glued? I used windshield glue in my cracks (one about 10", the other about 20"). It's not perfect, and if the light hits is just right you can still see the crack, but it's stopped both from growing anymore, and most times they are invisible, which is good enough while I wait for a windshield that has EZPASS holes in it :)

Peter

Here is what I used, though I'm sure others are just as good.

Fix-A-Flat - Fix-A-Windshield, Do-It-Yourself Windshield Repair Kit (161890) : Amazon.com : Automotive

Unfortunately, I joined these ranks today - walked out to my car after work and found the infamous crack - started along the passenger's side and appears to be mostly on the inside. I could not feel any cuts on the outside. Called the service center in Chicago; the guy sounded resigned and said that he would order a replacement and have someone come out to me (they have a company doing this here) once the windshield came in. Will have to wait about 7-10 business days....

Ours cracked today at about 2.5 months and 1800 mi. Crack is in the exact spot as the first poster. I called service. They said they would need to see it but it was probably a rock. Total BS. With 23 different people reporting the exact same problem on this thread alone, it is clearly not a rock problem!. Windsheilds on Back Order in any case. TM needs to get this sorted, replace under warranty and solve the production problem so it stops happening! As a stockholder, I hope the production end of the problem is already solved.

Unfortunately, I joined these ranks today - walked out to my car after work and found the infamous crack - started along the passenger's side and appears to be mostly on the inside. I could not feel any cuts on the outside. Called the service center in Chicago; the guy sounded resigned and said that he would order a replacement and have someone come out to me (they have a company doing this here) once the windshield came in. Will have to wait about 7-10 business days....
Best of luck with the wait. As Thumper and mrbry have noted there aren't any spare windshields. It's been 3 weeks since mine cracked and Menlo service said they ordered a replacement.

While washing the car yesterday, I noticed a significant crack in our new (2+ week-old) windshield.

I believe that this is a stress fracture, and hence a manufacturing defect, and not related to a road hazard or other accident. Note that the crack proceeds from the free edge of the glass at its mounting, that it is forked from that side, and that there is absolutely no indication of an impact. There is no crater, circular mark, missing chip, etc.

I believe that this happened over the weekend while driving near Whistler, BC. I was alone in the car at night on a quiet road with no traffic, and heard a sudden "pop" somewhere in the car (could not place it at the time). It may be of note that this was the first time the car was subjected to freezing temperatures (-6º C).

Tesla has been contacted, and is being typically very cooperative. Update when I know more.

Happy to report that mine was replaced on Friday (finally!). The hold-up was coordinating between the nascent Vancouver Service Center, the Seattle Service center, and an independent installer here on Vancouver Island. The job was covered under warranty, and Tesla paid the independent installer. I paid nothing.

For those curious, this is what it looks like in the delivery crate. The silver bracket at the top is the mount for the rain sensor, which was transferred over just fine.
Tesla Windshield.jpg

The installer, Capital Auto Glass in Sidney, BC (also in Victoria) was excellent. They provided a free rental car for the day, and had the job done on time and like new!

First time poster. Unfortunately, my first post is to report a similar crack in my windshield that happened this morning.

The story is basically a replica of ones on this thread. Same shape, about 7" long, on the drivers side and out to the black edge (not sure if the photo shows it very well).

I called the Tesla service center in Philadelphia and they seemed to be well aware of the issue and have a bunch of windshields on order already so perhaps any resistance to having this be covered by the warranty has subsided.

Thought I would share (since so many of you have too :smile:). Car is truly awesome even with these teething problems.

NeilC Tesla Crack 1.JPG

In terms of windshield inventory, there doesn't seem to be a shortage here in L.A.

I brought my car in yesterday. I was given a rental, and the new windshield will likely be done at some point tomorrow.

Huh I was told no rental because the labor was under 4 hours, but they still want to keep the car for 24 hours to let the glue cure. This is at Menlo.
Luckily I'll be out of town for spring break and will just leave the car with them for the week so they can also look at things like funky left turn signal and random door openings.

Called yesterday. Still a backlog of windshields. They're dealing with the stress crack cases first, so I'm at the back of the queue :(. On a brighter note, they redesigned the windshield and it should no longer have the distortion on the bottom.

Ah. That makes sense. I suspect they bump up stress fractures in priority because they qualify as a safety issue.

I'll check the distortion factor when I'm back in the car. I never had a problem with it before, but if it's gone now, all the better.

Called yesterday. Still a backlog of windshields. They're dealing with the stress crack cases first, so I'm at the back of the queue :(. On a brighter note, they redesigned the windshield and it should no longer have the distortion on the bottom.

Well, I hope mine cracks! (not really, but sort of :frown:)
that is one thing that I would change besides the cornering handles
my wife hates the distortion :eek: and gets carsick (even when she drives)

Last edited: