Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ALL CyberTruck discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Electrek states this guy is one of the designers for the upcoming pickup, but he has concept for a car beneath the 3

https://electrek.co/2019/10/28/tesl...er-also-made-this-unseen-crazy-tesla-concept/

Export-25.jpg

The only way a $25K Tesla is profitable is a machine truly building a machine. Production costs cut to a minimum and then some. But it would be another volume seller for Tesla.

If contractors and ranchers think your truck is a joke then poseurs want nothing to do with your truck.

Urban Cowboys want a real cowboy truck even if they never leave the City.

Most of your posts are informative, but think you are basing this on assumptions that likely won’t prove out.

People who are using a pickup for actual work will mainly look at the how well it suits their tasks and TCO. I know one mason (not urban, central California) who is interested in the Tesla pickup for his work truck.

Urban ‘poseurs’ might like a studly looking vehicle but will be happy to drop the stigma in town of, say, a Hummer or other dumba$$ truck.

Besides, urbanites are hardly aware of ranchers’ existence much less their actual, day-to-day preferences, if the current US political landscape is any indicator.

Also and no offense, but 150K Tesla pickup’s per year on an exponential growth curve will fundamentally change the dynamics of the segment.

So, there’ll be a battleground here too but it is not credible to suggest that Tesla won’t have meaningful traction in the pickup market.

At a modern job site, the bulk of power needed is for air compressors. But many tools that previously ran on compressed air are switching to more efficient rechargeable tools. In any case, contractors needing job site power will obviously be buying long-range trucks with the bigger battery. This will save them the huge expense of erecting tempory power service during construction just to run a few lights and compressors and nailers.

On-board 240V will also be huge for welders who work out of their trucks. Currently, they need a very large generator and fuel supply which takes up a good portion of their truck. Arc welders need big current but it is only in use a minute here, a minute there so the total consumption is not all that high. Perfect application for a traction battery.
I'm interested in seeing how new methods will be employed for the truck once that level of power is readily available.

In theory it could replace quite a few of the uses of small tractors. You could link a PTO up to the motor and tow a slasher, or a post driver, or one of the hundreds of accessories already made to be driven by a PTO.

Think about how much more pleasant your day would be cruising around in a truck with a slasher behind it than using a crummy old tractor that goes 10kph.

Urban ‘poseurs’ might like a studly looking vehicle but will be happy to drop the stigma in town of, say, a Hummer or other dumba$$ truck.

Besides, urbanites are hardly aware of ranchers’ existence much less their actual, day-to-day preferences, if the current US political landscape is any indicator.

There is no other explanation to Los Angeles parking lots where attorneys/engineers/accountants work and I see lifted 1 Ton Trucks in the parking lot there all work day.

Los Angeles County had 770k votes for Donald Trump in 2016.

https://www.lavote.net/ElectionResults/Text/3496

ED If people purchased trucks rationally the Honda Ridgeline would be a top seller instead of a bottom dweller.

Last edited:
There is no other explanation to Los Angeles parking lots where attorneys/engineers/accountants work and I see lifted 1 Ton Trucks in the parking lot there all work day.

Los Angeles County had 770k votes for Donald Trump in 2016.

https://www.lavote.net/ElectionResults/Text/3496

ED If people purchased trucks rationally the Honda Ridgeline would be a top seller instead of a bottom dweller.
None, huh? Fashions change my friend. Even markers of masculinity.

Some people seem to think a work truck needs to do 200+ miles each day. That has not been my experience. You drive 15-30 miles to the job, you might need to take another 20 mile round trip for supplies, then you drive home at the end of the day. A 250 ish EPA rated truck should do quite well.

Reactions: StealthP3D
Again, Tesla being the only maker of EVs does not means they are dictating what an EV should be. Tesla does not say you cannot wrap your car to get any color you want. Not offering options (with your product) is different from saying you can't have options (from any product).

BTW this is exactly what Tesla is doing.

When you are the 800 lbs manufacturer in a market.

Tesla is dictating when they have the overwhelming capacity to make compelling BEVs and they are production constrained.

No OEM can tell you what to do with your car.

Telling customers to bugger off and customize their car if they don't like the options offered like color and seating surfaces is dictating.

Elon Musk on Twitter

@elonmusk "Cybertruck unveil on Nov 21 in LA near SpaceX rocket factory"

That's the night before the LA auto show begins. This year Tesla has an outdoor exhibit space right by the entrance and all by themselves. Sure sounds like they are planning to throw a giant party / truck reveal beforehand. Floor Map - LA Auto Show // Nov. 22 - Dec. 1, 2019

Interestingly, they are not listed in the "exhibitors" list, but they are listed as offering test drives of S, X, and 3, which is presumably what that outdoor space on the map is for. It's hard for me to believe the pickup won't be there somewhere...

I think InsideEVs idea and render of the pickup truck is the best guess and also coolest looking, given that it is likely to be very unconventional looking vis a vis Musk's comments about armored carriers and Blade Runner, and given a very similar render was in the SpaceX Mars PR images:

UPDATE: Did Musk Already Reveal The Tesla Pickup Truck To the World?
Musk On Tesla Pickup Truck Design: 'Whoa, What's That Thing?'

View attachment 474016

View attachment 474015

Model S3X all have class leading aerodynamic efficiency.

I don't think Elon is going full Unimog.

My bet is on this being the closest render.

truck-render.jpg

BTW

Screenshot%2B2019-11-06%2Bat%2B20.40.47.png

EV Sales: Netherlands October 2019

I think InsideEVs idea and render of the pickup truck is the best guess and also coolest looking, given that it is likely to be very unconventional looking vis a vis Musk's comments about armored carriers and Blade Runner, and given a very similar render was in the SpaceX Mars PR images:

UPDATE: Did Musk Already Reveal The Tesla Pickup Truck To the World?
Musk On Tesla Pickup Truck Design: 'Whoa, What's That Thing?'

View attachment 474016

View attachment 474015

Lol god I hope not! That think is hideous and impractical anywhere but off world.