Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ALL CyberTruck discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That worst case results in an even more unrealistically low average annual mileage.

Maybe if there’s an error, it’s in his assumption of 19 mpg for the F150. It gets as high as 25 mpg.
Not loaded, pulling a trailer, or driving in stop and go traffic. The Cybertruck will use more electricity when loaded and/or pulling a trailer, but the difference in cost of energy will still be great.

That worst case results in an even more unrealistically low average annual mileage.

Maybe if there’s an error, it’s in his assumption of 19 mpg for the F150. It gets as high as 25 mpg.

I guess there’s enough unknowns, it’s not worth pursuing any more.

Although a 25 MPG F-150 is driving like the EPA test. That's essentially unloaded and not very aggressive by modern standards.

Those turbo engines get absolutely trash efficiency when they're in boost enrichment.

Meanwhile an EV has no reason for a sudden step up in consumption in real-world driving relative to the test.

Reactions: jerry33 and humbaba
A quick check of fuelly.com shows real world mpg for the most popular F-150 crewcab to be roughly 14-19 mpg. If you opt for a V8, which would absolutely be necessary in order to compete at all with the CyberTruck, the mileage gets worse, dropping by about 4 mpg.

F-150 mpg.png

That's only part of the wheel size, since it doesn't list rim diameter, and frankly 12.5 is more likely tire width but the rim is probably narrower than that.
How do they get 57" bed width with 78" overall width and 12.5" tire width?

I have a strong feeling Tesla's range and consumption numbers are based on much narrower LRR tires and a low drag wheel cover (which unlike the concept allows some airflow for brake cooling). No plastic wheel arch flares, either.

Those soft, wide tires and flares greatly enhance the looks, but shout 500 Wh/mile consumption to me....

• Informative
Reactions: kbM3
How do they get 57" bed width with 78" overall width and 12.5" tire width?

I have a strong feeling Tesla's range and consumption numbers are based on much narrower LRR tires and a low drag wheel cover (which unlike the concept allows some airflow for brake cooling). No plastic wheel arch flares, either.

Those soft, wide tires and flares greatly enhance the looks, but shout 500 Wh/mile consumption to me....
They're likely 20" wheels (wasn't thinking). What isn't known is the kWh capacity of the battery. If, as was implied during the reveal, the 500 miles was loaded, you'll need a 300-350 kWh battery. Double that if you're pulling a 14,000 lb trailer.

Agree, I speculated similarly that the range number was with different tires.

They're likely 20" wheels (wasn't thinking). What isn't known is the kWh capacity of the battery. If, as was implied during the reveal, the 500 miles was loaded, you'll need a 300-350 kWh battery. Double that if you're pulling a 14,000 lb trailer.

I didn't get any hint of them implying that the range was when loaded. (In the Tesla Semi unveil they clearly stated that the range was fully loaded.)

And it did say 500+ just like Elon said that the Supercharging would be 250kW, or more, but they weren't going to go into that now...

Reactions: mongo
Yes, the 12.5" would be the tread width. I'd estimate the rim/wheel width at 12", but who knows. I'm more after the wheel diameter to get an estimate on tire prices. My best guess would be 24 inch wheels based upon these two photos and some quick Photoshop dimension-taking and calculations.

The sidewall does say "GOODYEAR" for whatever that's worth.

CT-wheels-1.png
CT-wheels-2.png

It was already posted in this thread that the tires are 35x12.5x17 as noted by Motortrend.
24 inch wheels are for posers and not something anyone would use with that small of a diameter tire. Maybe with 49" tires..

I completely agree with you, but there is no possible way those wheels are 17". The sidewalls would be much, much taller. Motortrend is full of it.