Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ALL CyberTruck discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think it's primarily a work truck. I think it will compete as much with Jeep as it does with Ford.

If it is going to be built on the model 3 assembly line its a medium size vehicle. The market addressed may be more of a blend of Jeep and Toyota buyers.

Tesla pickup is probably too small and too greenish for F150 buyers at this point in time. Jeep sells over a million vehicles all over the world to largely irrational buyers who pay a premium for a not very well built truck. Those folks may as well electrify.

Reactions: nativewolf
Elon said it will out tow an F150 and out accelerate a 911(base not Turbo S).

I seriously doubt it will be made on the Model 3 or Model Y line.

IF so it is not a *sugar* ing Honda Ridgeline lifestyle truck.

upload_2019-10-20_11-22-8.jpeg

Tesla isn't building no sissified truck.

If it's going to get near the specs Elon is talking about it's not going to be a small truck.

the jeep gladiator is the width of the model 3 and is a medium size truck. Tesla could match the interior space of a gladiator in maybe 16.5'. This size probably fits on the current assembly line.

If pickup is not a gen 3 skateboard variant then it seems to be a long term project.

It seems to me that Tesla's medium term path is building gen 3 variants with current production equipment.

Reactions: Don TLR
It is extremely stupid of Elon to talk up the Tesla pickup as an F Series competitor if it is in fact a Model 3 derivative.

The whole point of Tesla is to prove that electric vehicles are more capable than their ICEv counterparts.

Tesla Model S can destroy all ICEv this side of $400k.

Tesla Semi can destroy performance of diesel Semis.

Tesla Roadster will be a major smack down to all ICE supercars.

I am 99% certain Elon is not trotting out a truck not as capable as a Ford F250. It is opening Tesla to ridicule. And sets EVs back in public perception at least a decade.

The one metric where diesel will still win is range and particularly when towing. But that is ok if you have a massive win everywhere else with the US saturated with Superchargers.

I doubt they will change body style through the price range. I also don't see a 100kwh pack in the 50k model, more likely a Model 3 75kwh pack.

They will to initially change the style, I'm talking abut if they see a need to make a completely different truck, with a more conventional look...
Most probably someone else will make that... and it will not be as efficient...

Keep in mind if 2-3 years time a 100kW will cost the same as a 75kW pack cost today, especially if battery and drive-train investor day shows Tesla can make major costs savings, .... major being 25-30% over 3 years

I don't think it's primarily a work truck. I think it will compete as much with Jeep as it does with Ford.

If it is going to be built on the model 3 assembly line its a medium size vehicle. The market addressed may be more of a blend of Jeep and Toyota buyers.

Tesla pickup is probably too small and too greenish for F150 buyers at this point in time. Jeep sells over a million vehicles all over the world to largely irrational buyers who pay a premium for a not very well built truck. Those folks may as well electrify.

I am expecting a work truck, and Tesla to use them for Tesla rangers...

I admit I could be wrong, but it has been my hunch all along, why make something that looks Cyberpunk, if it is a medium sized compromise vehicle?

If it is a true workhorse with great functionality, true commercial operators will not care about the look.

Elon said it will out tow an F150 and out accelerate a 911(base not Turbo S).

I seriously doubt it will be made on the Model 3 or Model Y line.

IF so it is not a *sugar* ing Honda Ridgeline lifestyle truck.

View attachment 468192

Tesla isn't building no sissified truck.

I hope you are right, if its a Model 3 based vehicle, I am not getting one. I don't care if the price is 3X the base model, I want a real truck and not some low spec, low range, CUVesque truck. Blow everyone out of the water like you did with the Model S.... Make it set a new standard and frankly I don't care if its $100K, I will get it, so I can watch Raptors and 6.X Liter Diesels disappear in the rearview mirror...

I admit I could be wrong, but it has been my hunch all along, why make something that looks Cyberpunk, if it is a medium sized compromise vehicle?

If it is a true workhorse with great functionality, true commercial operators will not care about the look.

In most of the world a work truck is smaller than an F150. The most common tradesman's vehicle where I live is a smaller van. Other then Masons none use pickups anymore. Some of them course have large Sprinter type vans.

But I don't see Tesla going after the true commercial utility vehicle market. It's a low margin business. They need to use their limited production capacity making things that have good margins. I see them position the "pickup" against those upstarts at Rivian. "Cyberpunk" is not how one positions a vehicle for fleet sales to the local electric utility. Although I do think they will have a stripped down version suitable for commercial use.

I think that they can design a very successful pickup/van/suv on the gen 3 platform. The compartments on the Rivian pickup are really nice. There's good potential for the Tesla to have an open bed plus a number of lockable compartments. Lockable compartments plus AC power out is going to be attractive to a lot of buyers in many markets.

A serious pickup with the capacity Elon is talking about will almost certainly have a ladder frame and body on frame construction.

If true Musk will be showing a pickup that will be made with future lower cost batteries. All Teslas are somewhat body on frame. The beams and joists of the skateboard should be scalable to a medium duty design load.

I see Tesla only doing conventional construction on the semi. But I can't reconcile everything Musk has said and shown about the pickup, so I expect to be surprised.

A well thought out post, sadly I'd like a super heavy duty but they may well be positioning as you suggest and that would be a smart marketing move.

• Disagree
Reactions: RobStark

This is an interesting thought, and the more I think about it, I hope it's part of their thinking. A rapid deployment to rangers would make for some good exposure. Not to mention, the truck would obviously mitigate some of the shortcomings of Model S and vans as ranger vehicles. Could rangers perhaps have the ability to tow to SCs?

This is an interesting thought, and the more I think about it, I hope it's part of their thinking. A rapid deployment to rangers would make for some good exposure. Not to mention, the truck would obviously mitigate some of the shortcomings of Model S and vans as ranger vehicles. Could rangers perhaps have the ability to tow to SCs?
That would require 7500+ lb towing capability.

Would it be inconceivable for them to introduce a full-size SUV model based on the pickup at the same time as the truck itself? This thought struck me after reading some comments from folks who were disappointed in what they perceive from photos to be a too-small Model Y. Probably a quite a reach, but I thought I'd suggest it.

If the Y was too small why not buy an X?

I suppose. I was thinking that a truck-based full-size SUV might offer a different set of capabilities than an X and therefore appeal to a different set of buyers (e.g. more space? less luxurious?). And if the base price of the truck is supposed to be around 50k, maybe it would offer a less expensive option that's roomier than the Y, but more bare-bones than the X. But I guess it would crowd the lineup a lot, and probably unnecessarily. Just a thought.

Would it be inconceivable for them to introduce a full-size SUV model based on the pickup at the same time as the truck itself? This thought struck me after reading some comments from folks who were disappointed in what they perceive from photos to be a too-small Model Y. Probably a quite a reach, but I thought I'd suggest it.

I fall into that category of finding the Y too small, the X somewhat of a compromise (and too expensive new). I’m looking for something that can double as a family and work vehicle. My ‘14 Pilot fits the bill in this department except for being a boring ICE.

I’ll probably look hard at the R1S but Rivian ain’t Tesla.

• Informative
Reactions: canoemore