Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ALL CyberTruck discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I suppose. I was thinking that a truck-based full-size SUV might offer a different set of capabilities than an X and therefore appeal to a different set of buyers (e.g. more space? less luxurious?). And if the base price of the truck is supposed to be around 50k, maybe it would offer a less expensive option that's roomier than the Y, but more bare-bones than the X. But I guess it would crowd the lineup a lot, and probably unnecessarily. Just a thought.

I think the overlap with Y and X would be self-defeating. It may also be that the cabin on the Truck is sufficient for SUVness. At one point Elon was talking of seating 6. Add a cover to the bed and you have a lot of SUVish capability.

• Informative
Reactions: canoemore
Well whatever it is, Tesla’s aiming to beat it, so my point is it should be sufficient for rangers to tow with.
Yep.
My prediction is something between a Honda Ridgeline and a Subaru Baja (which while not popular while it was being produced now has a cult following!). Going to have to create a prediction thread once the presentation date is announced.

• Disagree
Reactions: RobStark
Yep.
My prediction is something between a Honda Ridgeline and a Subaru Baja (which while not popular while it was being produced now has a cult following!). Going to have to create a prediction thread once the presentation date is announced.

I think the opposite - they're going to make something fairly beastly that will probably be too large/overkill for folks looking for lifestyle trucks (those buyers will have to go Rivian) but will satisfy folks looking for work trucks IF they can get over the unconventional looks.

This is an interesting thought, and the more I think about it, I hope it's part of their thinking. A rapid deployment to rangers would make for some good exposure. Not to mention, the truck would obviously mitigate some of the shortcomings of Model S and vans as ranger vehicles. Could rangers perhaps have the ability to tow to SCs?

I definitely see a Tesla pickup having the ability to tow a car on a flat bed trailer, perhaps even carry a car on the bed, with some sort ramp/winch system to load it... but for a regular ranger the ability to carry a lot of parts in the back of the truck is more important than carrying a car there.

Some sort of quick "top up" charger facility would also be ideal...

So a ranger/roadside assistance.. can carry a stock of wheels and tyres, possibly a special faster charger, some 12V batteries, common spare parts and have the ability to tow a car on a flat bed...

in cities most rangers probably will not tow a trailer, as other options can get there fast, in remote areas having a trailer is a big plus..it saves the customer waiting for some other option to show up.

fb9cfe1167afaf4440d6e73b792a8800.jpg

I think the overlap with Y and X would be self-defeating. It may also be that the cabin on the Truck is sufficient for SUVness. At one point Elon was talking of seating 6. Add a cover to the bed and you have a lot of SUVish capability.

GM has Silverado/Sierra full size trucks plus full size SUVs Suburban and Escalade.

And midsize and full size crossovers like Blazer and Traverse plus XT5 and XT6 at Cadillac.

Given that so many people actively dislike falcon wing doors and MX suspension precludes big off road tires I think there is a definite and distinct market for a full size SUV off the Tesla truck platform.

And cheap to make the variant.

I think the opposite - they're going to make something fairly beastly that will probably be too large/overkill for folks looking for lifestyle trucks (those buyers will have to go Rivian) but will satisfy folks looking for work trucks IF they can get over the unconventional looks.
I'm afraid you might be right, but at the 50k pricetag ( or even 50-80k) how do you do that? Which brings it back to a heavy duty 1/2 Ton. Like the Diesel Nissan Titan. A half ton truck with 18k+ Towing capacity. I don't need a beast, I need a 12k towing truck with 200-250 REAL towing miles

GM has Silverado/Sierra full size trucks plus full size SUVs Suburban and Escalade.

And midsize and full size crossovers like Blazer and Traverse plus XT5 and XT6 at Cadillac.

Given that so many people actively dislike falcon wing doors and MX suspension precludes big off road tires I think there is a definite and distinct market for a full size SUV off the Tesla truck platform.

And cheap to make the variant.

And those different vehicles come in at different price points and sizes due to different interiors and power trains.
Tesla has a pretty tight range of pack sizes (cost) and uses the same drive units (cost) with the same interior parts (cost). So it seems harder to create that range of differentiation (outside of artificial price points which would then overlap X).

If there were an SUV, wouldn't that gut X sales for the very reasons you mention? (Not that that is necessarily a bad thing I guess, it could still share the S line at whatever volume it sells at)

• Informative
Reactions: canoemore
If there were an SUV, wouldn't that gut X sales for the very reasons you mention? (Not that that is necessarily a bad thing I guess, it could still share the S line at whatever volume it sells at)

You may have hit on one reason Musk is emphasizing "pickup". The vast majority of potential MX buyers are not interested in "pickup". But a large three row true SUV without falcon wing doors would be attractive for many buyers.

There are few automotive designs more perfected than that of the full size pickup truck. I hope tesla learns from past mistakes and relies on their innovative powertrain to deliver added value rather than contrived design features that have already been shown to be a failure (cough FWD cough) simply for the sake of being different. A F150 with a Tesla powertrain and infotainment and autopilot would be awesome. Some weird looking thing with retracting door handles and delorean doors ain't gonna fly in pickup country.

• Disagree
Reactions: waterloo42
the jeep gladiator is the width of the model 3 and is a medium size truck. Tesla could match the interior space of a gladiator in maybe 16.5'. This size probably fits on the current assembly line.

If pickup is not a gen 3 skateboard variant then it seems to be a long term project.

It seems to me that Tesla's medium term path is building gen 3 variants with current production equipment.

Perhaps it's built on the semi platform.

And those different vehicles come in at different price points and sizes due to different interiors and power trains.
Tesla has a pretty tight range of pack sizes (cost) and uses the same drive units (cost) with the same interior parts (cost). So it seems harder to create that range of differentiation (outside of artificial price points which would then overlap X).

No.

Suburban starts at $51k and Escalade ends at about $110k.

Tesla full size SUV could start at ~$58k( if pickup is under $50k) and end at ~$110k.

It will be additive. Keep Model X Long Range at $85k and Model X Plaid at $149k.

Sure every new Tesla choice will cannibalize some sales. Because there are some people buying a Model X that really want an electric Range Rover or Escalade. But that is not a good enough reason to limit Tesla's range of vehicles. For example Roadster will take some Model S Plaid sales.

But this means these cannibalized Model X customers plus others will buy a Tesla SUV instead of a Rivian R1S or a Bollinger B2. GM is said to be producing low volume full size electric pickups by end of 2021. And up to 80k full size electric pickups and SUVs per year by 2023. Ford is bringing an electric pickup in this time frame; can an electric full size SUV be far behind?

The days of Tesla dictating to customers what specifications their premium EVs they buy will have is coming to an end.

Reactions: Lobstahz
There are pro and cons to Tesla making an SUV, we all know that. I'm not saying it's a bad idea, just probing the implications.

No.

Suburban starts at $51k and Escalade ends at about $110k.

Tesla full size SUV could start at ~$58k( if pickup is under $50k) and end at ~$110k.

It will be additive. Keep Model X Long Range at $85k and Model X Plaid at $149k.

If there is an $85k Tesla SUV, (in the range 58-110), what is the reason to have an X (beyond falcon doors)? To make X compelling, the SUV would need to nerfed on seating or range.

The days of Tesla dictating to customers what specifications their premium EVs they buy will have is coming to an end.

Dictating?? Seriously? Just because Tesla was the only company taking electrification seriously and the only company with products in their class hardly means they were dictating.

Elon never planned to be the only EV producer. If anything, staying out of the SUV space might encourage others to enter it. Whether people buy what they are selling is a seperate issue.

Reactions: JRP3
If there is an $85k Tesla SUV, (in the range 58-110), what is the reason to have an X (beyond falcon doors)? To make X compelling, the SUV would need to nerfed on seating or range.
Toyota sells both the Highlander CUV and 4Runner SUV. They're almost exactly the same price and size. Personally I think it would be dumb for Tesla to try to make an SUV. How would they make it efficient enough? SUVs need to be capable of driving off-road trails in remote areas where there are no chargers.

Toyota sells both the Highlander CUV and 4Runner SUV. They're almost exactly the same price and size. Personally I think it would be dumb for Tesla to try to make an SUV. How would they make it efficient enough? SUVs need to be capable of driving off-road trails in remote areas where there are no chargers.

It is going to be important for them to reduce that “on” power consumption of 250W when trundling at 5mph for hours on end. That would be a 50Wh/mi penalty! Vampire drain will finally be solved! ;)