Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ALL CyberTruck discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Copying from a post I did on Rivian Forums with some numbers:

The motors are three phases and the inverter drive them in a sinusoidal current pattern. Now, when the motor is spinning, even quite slowly, the heating each MOSFET/IGBT experiences follows the sine pattern to the square, so it only experiences peak heating for a very short while, on average, the heating power is 1/2 of the current needed for maximum torque

Now, if you motor is stuck in a position, and you need full torque, the maximum heating power will be the full motor current, and on semiconductor terms, even for a few milliseconds, it is too much heating

So how Rivian solves that and doesn't blow inverters? It reduces the torque, if you wanted to keep the maximum heating a single MOSFET/IGBT experiences to the same as when the vehicle is moving, you would need to reduce the torque up to 75% (due to the square resistive losses)

If that is the case, a vehicle that is stuck at 0 speed and with just 2 wheels with traction, the total torque available might be as low as 12.5% of the total torque, and when people say it feels like it doesn't have enough torque, they are totally right

What makes me feel more confident that this is the case is that if you release the throttle let if cool down for a bit, and then floor it, it can have a burst of torque that get you out, since tires will slip and start to spin and will allow you to have the full torque on each wheel, and as long as you keep moving you will be fine

Unfortunately this isn't something that can't be solved by software

Assuming my previous post is correct, the maximum grade you could climb from dead stop in two wheels is just 12%, which is less than many off road situations

Copying from a post I did on Rivian Forums with some numbers:
In British Columbia, there are some public roads (not logging roads) with a 12% grade (an economical measure, roads are supposed to have no more than a 6% grade). 12% does appear mighty steep when you are in the vehicle unless you are used to those kind of grades. On paper is doesn't seem like much.

Reactions: MC3OZ
In British Columbia, there are some public roads (not logging roads) with a 12% grade (an economical measure, roads are supposed to have no more than a 6% grade). 12% does appear mighty steep when you are in the vehicle unless you are used to those kind of grades. On paper is doesn't seem like much.
10 steepest streets in the US. All over 30%, some with videos. I don't believe #2 is really 37%, though. Maybe there's a very short stretch that steep.

Yeah, it's a lot, but when you are climbing a rock wall, or rooted out mountain road, the places you will lose traction in two wheels most likely will be way above 12%

Keep in mind that if even it's a small ledge that you are stuck, for in the few inches it's above 12% it's already reason for it to no move anymore unless you bump it

Reactions: jerry33
They'll sure sell a lot of them for double the price. :(

Ford obviously doesn't plan to sell lots of them.

They are intended to be a halo EV vehicle in Norway and Switzerland. To make Ford EVs come to mind when Europeans are shopping for an EV and sell more Explorer EVs.

If you are a rich Swiss guy you can be both obnoxious and environmentally friendly at the same time by buying a F-150 Lightning.

Unlike ICEv, 0-60 and range in BEVs are a byproduct of powertrain efficiency.

Performance EVs get wider stickier tires for ultimate 0-60 while those focused on range get low rolling resistance tires but the powertrain is virtually identical.

Neither Elon Musk, RJ Scaringe nor Peter Rawlinson would focus the engineering departments of their respective companies on 0-60 if it meant a substantial sacrifice on range.

BTW A Dodge Hellcat 170 gets about 170 miles of range if driven in typical Dodge ahole fashion.

Even though it is meant to reference 170 proof corn alcohol.

Unlike ICEv, 0-60 and range in BEVs are a byproduct of powertrain efficiency.

Performance EVs get wider stickier tires for ultimate 0-60 while those focused on range get low rolling resistance tires but the powertrain is virtually identical.

Neither Elon Musk, RJ Scaringe nor Peter Rawlinson would focus the engineering departments of their respective companies on 0-60 if it meant a substantial sacrifice on range.

BTW A Dodge Hellcat 170 gets about 170 miles of range if driven in typical Dodge ahole fashion.

Even though it is meant to reference 170 proof corn alcohol.
I think Dodge calls ahole mode Clown Penis Mode.

1699475773966.png

1699475833131.png

Looks like I won't need to buy a gun rack, that frunk is perfect for a couple of AR's and ammo boxes, would be cool to mount the AR's under the frunk hood, if its strong enough.

Is Agility really a measurement that truck drivers are concerned about, as related to interior volume? Why aren't you counting bed dimensions in your agility model and only passenger space? Why not include frunks too? Height becomes a concern as it relates to the agility rating. My garage at work is 6 feet 6 inches, my agility score should drop to 0 in my personal heat map if the vehicle exceeds this metric as many trucks won't fit in either my home or work garage.

Height becomes a concern as it relates to the agility rating. My garage at work is 6 feet 6 inches, my agility score should drop to 0 in my personal heat map if the vehicle exceeds this metric as many trucks won't fit in either my home or work garage.
Forget the Cybertruck, *I* don't fit in your garage...