Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ALL CyberTruck discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMG_3002.JPG

Cybtrk is a pickup. It is NOT a rock crawler. I would not take my F250s or -350s crawling, nor would I take Tesla’s, nor any long wheelbase, wide rig, any more than I would hitch a team of 12 Maine Coons to a sled even if race organizers did call it the Iditacat.
You might not-and frankly neither would I given the cost of a new rig. But plenty of pickup owners do, within the limits of their vehicle. Many more take them on rough, rocky, steep hills. And others do go mudding with them. All on top of hauling trailers on rough roads into places you'd never expect to see one. Not all truck owners live in the suburbs and just commute with them. I expect Cybertruck will do well actually being used as a truck. Lots of people spend a pile of money on Raptors for their off road capabilities.

Last edited:
You might not-and frankly neither would I given the cost of a new rig. But plenty of pickup owners do, within the limits of their vehicle. Many more take them on rough, rocky, steep hills. And others do go mudding with them. All on top of hauling trailers on rough roads into places you'd never expect to see one. Not Nearly all truck owners live in the suburbs and just commute with them. I expect Cybertruck will do well actually being used as a truck. Lots of people spend a pile of money on Raptors for their off road capabilities.

FTFY

Has anyone seen a deep scratch repair in stainless steel be successful?

I’m all in on the CT, but with its focus on the largest “American” made vehicle market of pickups, it will be a polarizing trigger. Unfortunately, the result by bad people will be damage to the CT of broken windows, keyings, etc.

Love the CT but concerned about that.

Reactions: jebinc
Many, and perhaps most, yes. Nearly al-no. I've lived in rural areas all my life, where pickups are as common as Teslas in California. Plenty actually do use trucks as trucks.

Best stats I'm aware of are:

75 percent of truck owners use their truck for towing one time a year or less Nearly 70 percent of truck owners go off-road one time a year or less. And a full 35 percent of truck owners use their truck for hauling—putting something in the bed, once a year or less.

75 percent of truck owners use their truck for towing one time a year or less Nearly 70 percent of truck owners go off-road one time a year or less. And a full 35 percent of truck owners use their truck for hauling—putting something in the bed, once a year or less.
I'd love to see the stats on new truck buyers who say they intend to do towing, hauling, and off-roading. I bet it's close to 100%.

You might not-and frankly neither would I given the cost of a new rig. But plenty of pickup owners do, within the limits of their vehicle. Many more take them on rough, rocky, steep hills. And others do go mudding with them. All on top of hauling trailers on rough roads into places you'd never expect to see one. Not all truck owners live in the suburbs and just commute with them. I expect Cybertruck will do well actually being used as a truck. Lots of people spend a pile of money on Raptors for their off road capabilities.
Having done rock crawling in Moab, UT with groups that included Jeeps with medium mods, light mods, and stock... as well as stock Toyota TJ's and Ford Bronco's, I'm going to have to agree with @AudubonB that you aren't really doing rock crawling in the stock rig. I know you said, "within the limits of their vehicle", but on the rock crawling trails with stock vehicles that basically means "taking the bypasses"... all you are really doing so doing some hill climbs on narrow/unpaved trails of relatively flat rock.

But I get your point about wanting to see more than just the non-paved roads in that video. They gave the suspension a little workout, but nothing too major. That having been said, they did say this was the final leg of their 1280 mile trip from San Diego down to Baja over the course of a week. They mentioned going through deserts, rocky ridges, forested areas, salt ponds, mountains, a washboard roads. They also mentioned storms throughout the week, so likely wet conditions. So hopefully they had some more challenging segments to prove out its capabilities... and they said the only breakdowns were flat tires, so that's encouraging.

As far as I'm concerned, being able to do nearly 1300 miles of Baja with those segments stock puts it in the "truck" category, not just a grocery-getter.

Last edited:

I have to believe that there is a chasm between "one time" and "less". So many truck owners simply never tow. I great follow-up question would be "Do you have something to tow NOW" (i.e. boat, jet ski, trailer of any kind, etc.). If they don't then the towing opportunities are simply a lot less. I see lots of trucks parked in driveways here in my area...but a MUCH smaller percentage seem to have a trailer, boat, etc.
I agree with the comments about owners "intending" to tow and it being important to them in a purchase....the reality is often very different. It is, in some ways, similar to the EV range discussions. Sure, you MIGHT need back to back days of 300 mile driving in the Winter, and for a FEW this is undoubtedly the norm, but these "edge cases" become the argument.

Looks like fun, but not off-road, just gravel roads. Pretty mild. Would be nice to see how it does on some big hillclimbs over some large rocks, rock crawling or deep mudding. I suspect awesome given the level of control offered with electric motors and adjustable ride height.

This is what I'm looking forward most, and they described they went through that and I bet was filmed

Rivian had a lot of potential with their quad motor system, but in practice it showed to inferior in certain situations, mostly low speed where you have just two diagonal wheels with traction. To this day I don't understand why it is still a problem, it simply doesn't apply enough torque to the wheels with traction, and I doubt it's a power and torque limitation since they have 200 hp and over 200 ft lb on each wheel

Want to see how Cybertruck does in a similar situation since Tesla traction control is next level

The truth is, a system that uses multiple motors or brakes to redistribute the traction will always be reactive, while a single engine with lockers everywhere will always be proactive, but I've driven plenty in a Suzuki Jimny that only has the brake based traction control and no lockers, and I can't believe the place I climbed with it, and I'd say Suzuki software must be a bit worse than Tesla lol

@10:00 bellow

Other Teslas does pretty well but obviously it isn't off road like the video above

Last edited:
To this day I don't understand why it is still a problem, it simply doesn't apply enough torque to the wheels with traction, and I doubt it's a power and torque limitation since they have 200 hp and over 200 ft lb on each wheel
I suspect part of the problem is how much of that HP/torque is available at 0 MPH. Kevin from OutOfSpec mentioned that he can pretty much overheat the motors/inverters trying to get his R1T to move in those situations, without actually moving.

I suspect part of the problem is how much of that HP/torque is available at 0 MPH. Kevin from OutOfSpec mentioned that he can pretty much overheat the motors/inverters trying to get his R1T to move in those situations, without actually moving.
That makes a ton of sense, when a motor is spinning, you are cycling the current between all 3 phases, but when stopped you keep an the same phase(s) and IGBT's for a long while, meaning the localized heat load can be many times the usual even when compared at full torque and low speed vs zero speed

I used to do that to test some inverters, lock the motor, crank current to full and see what happens, if nothing blew up if was good. Also valid in the motors, the heating can be so localized, specially in EV motors that are big, that temperature sensors won't cut, you have to have a model made through destructive testing to see what scenarios can cause that failure mode, and then limit what is the safe operating area

Many, and perhaps most, yes. Nearly al-no. I've lived in rural areas all my life, where pickups are as common as Teslas in California. Plenty actually do use trucks as trucks.

I've spent very little time in urban areas. Maybe four years of my entire life have I resided in a metro area (and regretted every minute). I think urbanity causes an allergic reaction for me. So, my background is similar to yours.

Yes, some get used regularly as trucks. Fewer of the total than most people owning trucks might think. Pickups are the best-selling vehicle in the US and I would hazard a guess that most of them on average have an empty bed better than 95% of the time. More so in the urban areas, excepting those scant few which are used daily for hauling tools and materials for work. (Vans are more practical for most daily job site vehicles)

I'd suspect that, considering the production and sales numbers for pickups, these "daily work trucks" are realistically a very tiny percentage of the total number of pickups on the road when measured against the multitudes which have been manufactured and sold over the decades.

The use of the Cybertruck will most likely align with that trend as it will even better fit the role as an Urban Assualt Vehicle carrying groceries, Soccer players, and doing an occasional run to Home Depot to a much higher degree than the few of which will be put to work daily with tools and materials in the bed. Granted, there will be Youtube videos galore of CT doing awesome things, but it will be as foolish to interpret this as being the usual role as it would to do so for any other pickup.

This is just the way US consumers are about pickups. They are mostly being employed as comfy sedans that can sometimes carry a load if the need arises. This will fly in the face (and ego) of the pickup owner who sees themselves as one of those people in a pickup advertisement routinely hauling Space Shuttles around.

The road I’ve lived on for 25 years is the Denali Highway, and for some of those years its conditions have been so heinously horrendous that, without exaggeration, it wasn’t far off from being akin to rock crawling. More pothole than road - again, without exaggeration - and deep ones, too. Average speed for many long stretches of its 136 miles right at 5mph.

THIS road, not the groomed test track 100 miles up the way* that Tesla has shown you in videos of “true Arctic conditions”, is where the company should have been testing its metal’s mettle. To the limits I could, I invited, begged and pleaded Tesla to make use of it; the cachet…the literal street creds it would obtain were they able to claim to have proven their rig on it…would have been priceless.

Some of my considerable reservations about the truck do, I admit, stem from the company having declined the invitation. It is not concerns over secrecy. In the test grounds they use, they share the same indoor space as Ford and GM, the separation being only a hung tarpaulin. In that the state of Alaska abandons the DHwy for seven months out of the year - DOT departs from it and we few denizens have it to ourselves, “maintaining” it with our own rigs, including the gajillion-dollar Pisten Bully I had hauled up from Whistler/Blackcomb - we could give the company as much as fifty miles of its length with no tourists, no hunters, no corporate or media spies other than 40,000 caribou and a few moose taking notes.

Now, we don’t have gumbo for them to test, but along with the road’s surface, we do have -50 and -60 temps, and winds straight out of Neptune. Test and refine your vehicle there, and it is proven for anywhere. Anywhere it will fit - which is not Moab.

*you can see our country, the Alaska Range - the continent’s highest mountains - far on the skyline from some of Tesla’s shots.