Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All US Cars capable of FSD will be enabled for one month trial this week

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If any of the above comments are true, "SFSD" will put me at a greater risk of road rage. Plenty of Tesla hate outside of my home town. I have had some one try to run me off the road and rap my bumper at three digits for no reason on a deserted freeway in the middle of the night.

First 2022 MSLR with USS drive with FSD 2024.3.10/v12.3.3.

Prophile set to Chill, Automatic Set Speed Offset on.

Small condo 'hood with narrow streets. Lots of dog walkers. Parking on both sides of street makes two cars passing each other a challenge, gotta slow down.

The instrument panel display is amazing! It showed dog walkers that were hidden to me by cars. With Automatic Set Speed Offset on, the car accelerated way too fast to get to the 25 mph in my 'hood. Maybe on the open road this would be OK, but not in my condo 'hood. Unchecking Automatic Set Speed Offset solved that problem. With this setting, max speed can be throttled by the thumb wheel, which affects acceleration at take off.

So
- five star graphics on instrument panel
- strike one: acceleration with mitigation
(that's like "guilty with an explanation" still gotta pay the lady)
=> no good in my 'hood

Next will try in the city.

• Informative
Reactions: aerodyne
Full Self-Driving (Supervised), FSDS. Just a nit pick.
I think you mean City Streets Autosteer,

No matter what adjectives you slap around Full Self Driving, it's not what any rational English speaker would get from that term.

And remember, what Tesla sells is "Full Self Driving Capability" which they then describe as city streets autosteer.

Reactions: EatsShoots
true with millions of drivers on the road all with FSD now it will probably only take two weeks to get 4 more nines
Another solid point. Took 7 years with 10% of cars having FSD to get to 2 nines. 100% of cars could get us 4 nines in two weeks easy. Just imagine if Tesla had sold a few more hundred thousand cars, we could be there tomorrow with an S curve like that!

Shame Tesla isn't anywhere near to putting it on 100% of cars though, so it probably will be another 7 years. (Nobody I know has the trial yet, you'd think they would be more motivated now that they only thing they are limited by is data collection, right?)

Another solid point. Took 7 years with 10% of cars having FSD to get to 2 nines. 100% of cars could get us 4 nines in two weeks easy. Just imagine if Tesla had sold a few more hundred thousand cars, we could be there tomorrow with an S curve like that!

Shame Tesla isn't anywhere near to putting it on 100% of cars though, so it probably will be another 7 years. (Nobody I know has the trial yet, you'd think they would be more motivated now that they only thing they are limited by is data collection, right?)
you dont know anybody in this thread?

Hi.. I'm gt2690b nice to meet you.. now you know someone

My first and second drives on Tesla FSD free 30 day trial
Dated 31 March 2024
Updated 1 April 2024

Summary in two days of local in town driving.
FSD is too aggressive for my taste and for this locale, even when set to chill mode. It's too fast tromping on the accelerator in many situations where it's unnecessary. It's too aggressive in weaving in traffic, nearly cutting off drivers just so it could advance a bit. That's the kind of driving that makes me mumble “Ahole” when I see other drivers do it.

On the other hand it stopped conservatively for a yellow light as I am trying to do. After someone cutting me off in an intersection and totaling a car of mine, I really pay attention to light changes.

It changes lane rather abruptly for me and I wasn't aware that it had planned to do so. The directional sound is too silent for my level of hearing and I can't keep staring at the screen rather than the road. I often cannot hear it over other car noise. So these lane changes conducted by FSD don't allow me to “supervise” whatsoever. And it feels like it jerks me over and quickly accelerates.

I cannot get “Summon” to work at all. Not at my house. It stalls looking for accuracy, then disables. So I couldn't pull it out of the garage or anything like that.

When it pulls out from a side road or shopping area to a main road with two lanes, it's far too aggressive for me. Yes, the car certainly is capable but why? Why cut the margins of safety like that? If I wait a minute or two longer, I almost always can get out into the traffic. I guess FSD doesn't know that and can't take it into consideration.

So far I don't see adequate value to purchase FSD for a person in my situation.
I think I'd pay $3,000 for it, to use in other circumstances, provided it improves over the current state, and provided I can keep it with me. But certainly not the $12,000 price tag today. If they allowed me to keep FSD with me, the driver, instead of with the vehicle, and stop so much nagging me, I'd be more inclined to purchase, but again not at $12,000.

First day's driving...
Overall, it was very exciting!
A little scary at times though. The car was more aggressive at times than I would ever be for certain sketchy scenarios. It also made a couple of navigational errors. It also aggressively changed lanes to keep speed up. In town that took me by surprise. I wasn't ready. Where I'd normally relax in a slower lane, it obeyed settings and started to weave. Other than those issues that occurred only once or twice in about 10 miles of driving in town, it is totally amazing. It's very human-like in the driving behavior, which I expected from many YouTube videos. But to me it's big North East city human-like driving style. On the other hand It drives in traffic MUCH more smoothly than Autopilot. And it lane keeps much better than Autopilot (which has problems). I think Tesla ripped us off on Autopilot by not fixing some serious issues, they didn't even try it seems. They are clearly forcing us to upgrade to FSD. After one ride into town and back, I do not think it's worth the hefty price tag of $12,000!!!!!! That price should be lower for people like me.

More details.
It would not engage FSD in my driveway when I was starting trips from the house. It's a dirt driveway, so I'm not surprised. But it did drive back down it on my return trip, but the performance was nervous and quite slow.
It did engage FSD on our small, winding, back road into our development. It has no painted lines, the road is always turning, it is rated ate 25 mph. The FSD navigated it well but stayed at 21 mph, which is just too slow.
It stopped at the stop sign at the end where there's a state highway and creeped out a bit. When there was an opening it accelerated quite briskly, but stayed in the wrong lane for the U turn on the screen. It completely blew the U turn but turned right on that road instead of left and drove down it, heading to nowhere. The navigation is messed up at times. After two years of driving I've learned that Tesla navigation is not to be trusted.
It stayed in lanes very well, made turns very well, stopped and started properly, sometimes more gingerly than I would drive.

I did not try Summons yet. It would not engage in the parking lot at my gym.

The FSD's bothering me for steering wheel input seemed tolerable and less annoying than Autopilot in lane keeping. And FSD is more centered in the lane, even a bit tot he right like I would drive, where Autopilot sticks close to the middle of the road, which is nerve racking at times. I wish it didn't do it at all in either case. FSD is certainly not worth the money until that day arrives, when there's no annoying nudging. I may as well just drive the darn car myself.

The second day using FSD was truly disappointing.
FSD depends upon excellent GPS mapping. The GPS mapping in the Tesla is sub par, not nearly as good as Google Maps. It's full of errors.
I tried to navigate to the local UPS store. It routed me in what appeared to be an endless loop a block away from UPS Store. I disengaged and drove there myself at that point. Both of my two drives had egregious navigational errors.

FSD is far too aggressive for this little town. It simply doesn't feel safe at time and feels genuinely rude at other times.
It will often “weave” in traffic where it's totally unnecessary. But the computer has no idea of the macro situation here. I'm only driving 5 miles or less. I'm in no particular rush. I don't need to “cut off” the folks in the passing lane, just so that I get going a bit quicker. It had this “bad behavior” even when I set it to chill mode.

FSD slows down too far from the car in front when traffic slows.
It slows down harder than necessary considering how many car lengths the next car ahead is. Then it compensates by stepping on the gas to get closer. It makes the car following me quite nervous and makes me nervous that I'll be rear-ended.

FSD is far too quick and aggressive when pulling into a main road with traffic from a side street.
I didn't have time to check that it was clear and the car hit the accelerator hard to get into a string of traffic. I disengaged. It should pause a bit to let the human catch up and do the required "supervision" but it doesn't.
It does similar things when changing lanes. I wasn't able to hear the directional so I thought FSD was in total error, acting unsafely. It jumps too quickly to get in front of a car approaching in the passing lane.

I disengaged a couple times pulling into traffic and a couple times changing lanes. I don't think I can get used to it's behavior. I expect that kind of driving in the Northeast but not here in rural Florida.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: EatsShoots
you dont know anybody in this thread?
I know about 10 people with Teslas, and I have two myself. None have the trial yet. Hence, we're nowhere near 100% of Teslas using FSD yet, despite:
All US cars that are capable of FSD will be enabled for a one month trial this week - Elon Musk, March 25th, 2024
Just another lie about FSD.... But Yeah, I totally believe him when he says they're no longer compute constrained and just need more data to make it learn.

I know about 10 people with Teslas, and I have two myself. None have the trial yet. Hence, we're nowhere near 100% of Teslas using FSD yet, despite:

Just another lie about FSD.... But Yeah, I totally believe him when he says they're no longer compute constrained and just need more data to make it learn.
Not only do I not have the trial, but since I'm at 2024.8.7, I can't even get FSD 12. Oh Well

My first and second drives on Tesla FSD free 30 day trial
Dated 31 March 2024
Updated 1 April 2024

Summary in two days of local in town driving.
FSD is too aggressive for my taste and for this locale, even when set to chill mode. It's too fast tromping on the accelerator in many situations where it's unnecessary. It's too aggressive in weaving in traffic, nearly cutting off drivers just so it could advance a bit. That's the kind of driving that makes me mumble “Ahole” when I see other drivers do it.

On the other hand it stopped conservatively for a yellow light as I am trying to do. After someone cutting me off in an intersection and totaling a car of mine, I really pay attention to light changes.

It changes lane rather abruptly for me and I wasn't aware that it had planned to do so. The directional sound is too silent for my level of hearing and I can't keep staring at the screen rather than the road. I often cannot hear it over other car noise. So these lane changes conducted by FSD don't allow me to “supervise” whatsoever. And it feels like it jerks me over and quickly accelerates.

I cannot get “Summon” to work at all. Not at my house. It stalls looking for accuracy, then disables. So I couldn't pull it out of the garage or anything like that.

When it pulls out from a side road or shopping area to a main road with two lanes, it's far too aggressive for me. Yes, the car certainly is capable but why? Why cut the margins of safety like that? If I wait a minute or two longer, I almost always can get out into the traffic. I guess FSD doesn't know that and can't take it into consideration.

So far I don't see adequate value to purchase FSD for a person in my situation.
I think I'd pay $3,000 for it, to use in other circumstances, provided it improves over the current state, and provided I can keep it with me. But certainly not the $12,000 price tag today. If they allowed me to keep FSD with me, the driver, instead of with the vehicle, and stop so much nagging me, I'd be more inclined to purchase, but again not at $12,000.

First day's driving...
Overall, it was very exciting!
A little scary at times though. The car was more aggressive at times than I would ever be for certain sketchy scenarios. It also made a couple of navigational errors. It also aggressively changed lanes to keep speed up. In town that took me by surprise. I wasn't ready. Where I'd normally relax in a slower lane, it obeyed settings and started to weave. Other than those issues that occurred only once or twice in about 10 miles of driving in town, it is totally amazing. It's very human-like in the driving behavior, which I expected from many YouTube videos. But to me it's big North East city human-like driving style. On the other hand It drives in traffic MUCH more smoothly than Autopilot. And it lane keeps much better than Autopilot (which has problems). I think Tesla ripped us off on Autopilot by not fixing some serious issues, they didn't even try it seems. They are clearly forcing us to upgrade to FSD. After one ride into town and back, I do not think it's worth the hefty price tag of $12,000!!!!!! That price should be lower for people like me.

More details.
It would not engage FSD in my driveway when I was starting trips from the house. It's a dirt driveway, so I'm not surprised. But it did drive back down it on my return trip, but the performance was nervous and quite slow.
It did engage FSD on our small, winding, back road into our development. It has no painted lines, the road is always turning, it is rated ate 25 mph. The FSD navigated it well but stayed at 21 mph, which is just too slow.
It stopped at the stop sign at the end where there's a state highway and creeped out a bit. When there was an opening it accelerated quite briskly, but stayed in the wrong lane for the U turn on the screen. It completely blew the U turn but turned right on that road instead of left and drove down it, heading to nowhere. The navigation is messed up at times. After two years of driving I've learned that Tesla navigation is not to be trusted.
It stayed in lanes very well, made turns very well, stopped and started properly, sometimes more gingerly than I would drive.

I did not try Summons yet. It would not engage in the parking lot at my gym.

The FSD's bothering me for steering wheel input seemed tolerable and less annoying than Autopilot in lane keeping. And FSD is more centered in the lane, even a bit tot he right like I would drive, where Autopilot sticks close to the middle of the road, which is nerve racking at times. I wish it didn't do it at all in either case. FSD is certainly not worth the money until that day arrives, when there's no annoying nudging. I may as well just drive the darn car myself.

The second day using FSD was truly disappointing.
FSD depends upon excellent GPS mapping. The GPS mapping in the Tesla is sub par, not nearly as good as Google Maps. It's full of errors.
I tried to navigate to the local UPS store. It routed me in what appeared to be an endless loop a block away from UPS Store. I disengaged and drove there myself at that point. Both of my two drives had egregious navigational errors.

FSD is far too aggressive for this little town. It simply doesn't feel safe at time and feels genuinely rude at other times.
It will often “weave” in traffic where it's totally unnecessary. But the computer has no idea of the macro situation here. I'm only driving 5 miles or less. I'm in no particular rush. I don't need to “cut off” the folks in the passing lane, just so that I get going a bit quicker. It had this “bad behavior” even when I set it to chill mode.

FSD slows down too far from the car in front when traffic slows.
It slows down harder than necessary considering how many car lengths the next car ahead is. Then it compensates by stepping on the gas to get closer. It makes the car following me quite nervous and makes me nervous that I'll be rear-ended.

FSD is far too quick and aggressive when pulling into a main road with traffic from a side street.
I didn't have time to check that it was clear and the car hit the accelerator hard to get into a string of traffic. I disengaged. It should pause a bit to let the human catch up and do the required "supervision" but it doesn't.
It does similar things when changing lanes. I wasn't able to hear the directional so I thought FSD was in total error, acting unsafely. It jumps too quickly to get in front of a car approaching in the passing lane.

I disengaged a couple times pulling into traffic and a couple times changing lanes. I don't think I can get used to it's behavior. I expect that kind of driving in the Northeast but not here in rural Florida.
It would be nice if someday they have different NN models available on the car to support different driving styles. There are definitely people here on TMC that would kill for your experience, as they find the current versions too slow and timid. I find, at least in my area, that it performs well for me. I have it in Chill mode with MLC enabled, but am not sure if those settings even control anything at this point with end-to-end NNs.

Got the 2024.3.6 update on our '23 MY and enabled the FSDS evaluation. I had the opportunity to put about 200 miles on it yesterday, driving on both suburban roads and the interstate. The weather here in SoCal was downright terrible and we got caught in a torrential downpour on I-5 in the San Onofre area; the system disengaged due to poor visibility but frankly it was so poor from the rain even I couldn't see anything (traffic was light but slowed down to about 15 mph). There were a couple other times I manually disengaged it because it was beeping warnings for no apparent reason, and it refused to set the cruise speed high enough during periods of clear weather. Otherwise, I'd say FSDS worked as advertised. It brakes well in advance of stop signs and red lights, enough so that I think it would annoy human drivers who followed. When it makes the decision to go, it accelerates more rapidly than it brakes - a little surprising.

I still don't think it's worth the money. For the price, it needs to operate in an unsupervised manner with Tesla covering my insurance and indemnifying me against traffic violations.

It would be nice if someday they have different NN models available on the car to support different driving styles.
The fact that people want things that match "their" driving styles tells you just how far away this is from actual L3+ (and the fact it lets you pick your speed).
Real Self Driving doesn't have a driving style that depends on the occupants. It has a safety goal, and once it hits that, all the systems drive that way.

Although I have often said that if we really did train self driving off real world drivers, different car brands might behave different, and you'll buy a BMW if you want to be an aggressive weaver, a Toyota if you want to camp in the left lane at 5 under, and a Tesla if you want the system to blame all accidents on woke AI.

you guys are statistical outliers then according to sites like teslafi that track this stuff

im willing to bet like at least 90% of teslas built since 2020 will receive a month of FSD in an "Elon week"

Every time I read about the people staying on an old version of the firmware because of all the nags or whatever, this guy always comes to mind.

Old Man.jpg