TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Alloy Gators Rim Protection (Pics and info)

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by NJTestla, Mar 24, 2013.

1. Cirion

Cirion Member

Sorry to hear about your rims :( Looking forward to you images. I'm hoping to be bold enough to add the red ones to my Black EU Signature Performance+ with black leather and Red piping... Delivery window July/August :(

2. Cirion

Cirion Member

Still hoping for pictures, but I did order Red Alloy Gators anyway. Had been nice to see how they will look.

3. artsci

artsci Sponsor

I posted these elsewhere but can't remember where. Here they are.

DSC_3398.JPG

DSC_3399.JPG

DSC_3401.JPG

DSC_3404.JPG

4. JohnQ

JohnQ Active Member

Cleanest damn tire treads I've ever seen.

Gators blend really well.

5. celter

celter Member

I am still waiting for pics of the red Gators on a MC Red with Gray wheels. Nobody yet?

6. scaesare

scaesare Well-Known Member

Tried to order a set this morning, and the "TESLA10" coupon code for 10% off no longer works. I've emailed them about it, and will post whatever answer I get.

I'm ordering silver, as I agree that black makes the rims look smaller...

7. andrewket

andrewket Well-Known Member

I ordered black. In retrospect I think silver would have been better.

8. scaesare

Just got a response back from them... The 10% discount code (TESLA10) for us is being extended through the end of July.

Happy shopping. :)

9. chicagotsla

chicagotsla Member

I called the Chicago Service Center, and they said that they do not install 3rd party items....any ideas on where to get this done in Chicago?

10. Babylonfive

Babylonfive Power12

Artsci those are outstanding. I wussed out and got black instead of silver, and haven't put them on yet. Argh.

11. teslasguy

teslasguy MSP P#1117

I installed the black ones on my 21" wheels with Conti tires. My problem is that while the part of the gators closest to the center cap is nice and snug to the rims, the outer edges of the gators are partly snug to the tires and in places they "gap out" a little. The instructions say this is an installation no-no, but so far I can't get them to be equally snug on the outer edge. I've tried to tap them in by letting the air back out of the tire, but no go. I've now decided that the issue is really that the tires are not "seating" equally around the rims/gators. Thinking about letting some air out, soaping the beads and then blowing them up to a little over 50lbs to see if the that solves the problem, then lowering to 42lbs. I actually curbed my front right wheel yesterday and the gator worked perfectly. Only issue is that I now have a gap (1/4") between outer edge of the gator and the tire where the curb rubbed. It's as though the curb rub pushed the bead of the tire in but the gator didn't move.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

12. swegman

swegman Active Member

I went to the installer artsci recommended; Jeff Wise Automotive Service. They are located at 1947 Greenspring Dr. in Timonium, MD. Their phone number is 410-252-8361. Per artsci's post, I dealt with Richard.

Richard made the install look easy. He had me pull the car onto the lift and place the car in Jack mode. He then carefully (using a light source to clearly see), positioned the pads of the lift under the car and raised it. Then he let the air out of each tire, wetted the tires where they hit the rim, and installed each AlloyGator. By letting the air out of the tires, he was able to push each AlloyGator in place by hand prior to lightly pounding them with a mallet to ensure they were completely seated. Afterwards, he reinflated each tire.

Richard had me glue the metal clips to each AlloyGator prior to him installing them. Total install time from when I drove the car onto the lift to when I left was 55 minutes. Cost was $100.

If anyone in the Baltimore/DC area is looking for an installer, I recommend contacting Richard. He was quick. He was professional (having done the install before). He was very careful not to damage the car, the tires or the rims. Do note that there is another shop on the same block called "Wiser" The correct shop to use is "Jeff Wise Automotive Service". The shop doesn't look like anything (there are several rusted vehicles from the 1960's sitting there), but as they say, you can't judge a book from its cover. Very true in this instance.

13. RandyS

RandyS Fan of Elon

I've gone through the installation, and one tip I can offer is about the super glue they say to put at the seam where the two pieces meet. As much as I tried to dry off the gator from the soapy water, it was probably still wet to some small degree, and I saw the super glue turn white in that seam area. So I would suggest drying off more thoroughly and minimizing the glue usage in that part of the installation.....

14. Cirion

Cirion Member

Got my red Gators.... Nice color :) 4 weeks delivery time.

Now I need my Model S. I might get it in august...

15. B-Chicago

B-Chicago Member

thanks for the pics! Just ordered mine direct from UK. Took delivery yesterday and, based on how excited I am to drive it, just hope I can keep the rims clean until they arrive. Tesla SC in Chicago said they have installed several and will install mine (for a fee) if I bring it in.

16. DonL

DonL Member

Installing Alloy Gators

You have to trick the car. While on the jack, stick some sort of flat plate into the door latch to cause it to close (simulating a closed door.) Put the car into jack mode, shift into neutral, and turn the car OFF. The rear wheels will turn.

17. Papafox

Papafox Active Member

For a 10% discount on Alloy Gators, use code TESLA10 (case-sensitive). Discount vanished for a day but is reactivated and is good through the end of July, 2013.

18. scaesare

Just saw this in another reply and thought I'd chime in:

You can get the car to stay in Neutral and Enable Jack Mode and then power the car off... it will not set the parking brake on the rear wheels that way.

As you pointed out, make sure your wheels are chocked first...

19. joepruitt

joepruitt Seattle Sig Red #497

On question I haven't seen answered. Can these be re-installed when you replace tires or do you have to buy a new set and re-install when you change out your tires. With the dismal tread-life we are seeing on the 21's out there, I'm trying to figure the cost in if I have to replace these each 10k miles or so.

Thanks!

-Joe

20. scaesare

Form their FAQ:

They sell replacement metal clips... those appear to be the only non-reusable part, so I expect you might have to buy those.. but they're cheap.