Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Alloy Gators Rim Protection (Pics and info)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The 21' rim edges are very vulnerable. After less than a week with the car I scuffed the edge of my right rear rim on a protruding curb. And I was scheduled to have the Gator protectors installed next week. Damn! I'll post some photos once they're installed.
Sorry to hear about your rims :( Looking forward to you images. I'm hoping to be bold enough to add the red ones to my Black EU Signature Performance+ with black leather and Red piping... Delivery window July/August :(

Still hoping for pictures, but I did order Red Alloy Gators anyway. Had been nice to see how they will look.

I posted these elsewhere but can't remember where. Here they are.

DSC_3398.JPG

DSC_3399.JPG

DSC_3401.JPG

DSC_3404.JPG

Tried to order a set this morning, and the "TESLA10" coupon code for 10% off no longer works. I've emailed them about it, and will post whatever answer I get.

I'm ordering silver, as I agree that black makes the rims look smaller...

I installed the black ones on my 21" wheels with Conti tires. My problem is that while the part of the gators closest to the center cap is nice and snug to the rims, the outer edges of the gators are partly snug to the tires and in places they "gap out" a little. The instructions say this is an installation no-no, but so far I can't get them to be equally snug on the outer edge. I've tried to tap them in by letting the air back out of the tire, but no go. I've now decided that the issue is really that the tires are not "seating" equally around the rims/gators. Thinking about letting some air out, soaping the beads and then blowing them up to a little over 50lbs to see if the that solves the problem, then lowering to 42lbs. I actually curbed my front right wheel yesterday and the gator worked perfectly. Only issue is that I now have a gap (1/4") between outer edge of the gator and the tire where the curb rubbed. It's as though the curb rub pushed the bead of the tire in but the gator didn't move.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I went to the installer artsci recommended; Jeff Wise Automotive Service. They are located at 1947 Greenspring Dr. in Timonium, MD. Their phone number is 410-252-8361. Per artsci's post, I dealt with Richard.

Richard made the install look easy. He had me pull the car onto the lift and place the car in Jack mode. He then carefully (using a light source to clearly see), positioned the pads of the lift under the car and raised it. Then he let the air out of each tire, wetted the tires where they hit the rim, and installed each AlloyGator. By letting the air out of the tires, he was able to push each AlloyGator in place by hand prior to lightly pounding them with a mallet to ensure they were completely seated. Afterwards, he reinflated each tire.

Richard had me glue the metal clips to each AlloyGator prior to him installing them. Total install time from when I drove the car onto the lift to when I left was 55 minutes. Cost was $100.

If anyone in the Baltimore/DC area is looking for an installer, I recommend contacting Richard. He was quick. He was professional (having done the install before). He was very careful not to damage the car, the tires or the rims. Do note that there is another shop on the same block called "Wiser" The correct shop to use is "Jeff Wise Automotive Service". The shop doesn't look like anything (there are several rusted vehicles from the 1960's sitting there), but as they say, you can't judge a book from its cover. Very true in this instance.

I've gone through the installation, and one tip I can offer is about the super glue they say to put at the seam where the two pieces meet. As much as I tried to dry off the gator from the soapy water, it was probably still wet to some small degree, and I saw the super glue turn white in that seam area. So I would suggest drying off more thoroughly and minimizing the glue usage in that part of the installation.....

Installing Alloy Gators

I just installed the Alloy Gators on my 21s today. A few tips. Use a lot of soapy water around the bead and on the Gators. Makes install a LOT easier. Leave about 1/8th" gap when cutting the end to slide under the flap of the other end. When you hammer it in you'll find that gap will pretty much disappear. If you don't cut it a little short it won't want to fit and you end up pulling it back out to shorten. The cover will cover up any gap anyway. When trying to get the right end to fit under the left end flap, use your fingers to get it started. Don't try to just hammer it in. Will tend to bend or
Buckle and that joint also easily breaks when hitting with rubber mallet. Two of mine had small pieces break off when I was tapping on the joint with the mallet. Easy does it at that point. One final note. I put my car height on very high then set to jack mode before jacking up. Park locks rear wheels and its impossible to set the car in neutral when jack mode is set. I tried it (chalked the wheels first) so I could turn the rear wheels while installing the Gators. No go. Crap!

You have to trick the car. While on the jack, stick some sort of flat plate into the door latch to cause it to close (simulating a closed door.) Put the car into jack mode, shift into neutral, and turn the car OFF. The rear wheels will turn.

I put my car height on very high then set to jack mode before jacking up. Park locks rear wheels and its impossible to set the car in neutral when jack mode is set. I tried it (chalked the wheels first) so I could turn the rear wheels while installing the Gators. No go. Crap!

Just saw this in another reply and thought I'd chime in:

You can get the car to stay in Neutral and Enable Jack Mode and then power the car off... it will not set the parking brake on the rear wheels that way.

As you pointed out, make sure your wheels are chocked first...

On question I haven't seen answered. Can these be re-installed when you replace tires or do you have to buy a new set and re-install when you change out your tires. With the dismal tread-life we are seeing on the 21's out there, I'm trying to figure the cost in if I have to replace these each 10k miles or so.

Thanks!

-Joe

On question I haven't seen answered. Can these be re-installed when you replace tires or do you have to buy a new set and re-install when you change out your tires. With the dismal tread-life we are seeing on the 21's out there, I'm trying to figure the cost in if I have to replace these each 10k miles or so.

Thanks!

-Joe

Form their FAQ:

Q. Can they be re-used if you have new tyres
Yes they can be re-fitted to the same wheels if you have new tyres.

They sell replacement metal clips... those appear to be the only non-reusable part, so I expect you might have to buy those.. but they're cheap.