Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Alloy Gators Rim Protection (Pics and info)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you're interested, come by and let's take a stab at installing them. I'm not a mechanic, but have taken apart and put together my S2000s, BMW's, and other cars quite handily (and have a bevy of tools to do it). Otherwise, I'd recommend taking it to A&L Autobody in Palatine. They work on Porsche's, Ferraris, Maserattis, BMW's all day long. Talk to Anthony and let him know Urmil sent you.

And, having done it myself on my car, I'm happy to answer any questions about my installation experience (and provide pics of my install if you need references regarding hte quality of my work, lol).

The pics of my Alloy Gators are below. I included pics from several different distances form the car, to get a perspective of how they (dis)appear in general, as well as what the installation itself looks like close up.

I don't have any in-process pics, but here are some general observations about the installation task:

• The first rim took about an hour, as I was going slow and deliberately. The remainder only took about 20 mins each once I had it figured out.

• Installation requires a rubber mallet, cutters/shears that can deal with plastic (I used "tin snips" and a pair of electrical "diagonal" cutters), a tire valve removal tool (recommended to have as part of your on-board repair kit anyway), a Sharpie (optional), a small screwdriver (optional) a jack, an air pump, and a method to chock the wheels.

• The car manual specifies jacking points and method - put the jar in jack mode and suspension high. The front tires freewheel easily (greatly easing installation). The rear wheels wanted to go back in to park from neutral when I left the car seat. Solution: place in neutral and power off the car. (Make sure to chick the other wheels).

• I got a suspension error when leaving "jack mode" after jacking and lowering the car. Driving a few feet fixed this and the car once again auto leveled.

• The Alloy Gators come with metal retaining clips, and a guide for where to place them for each your wheel size. What wasn't clear to me is that you place them in every numbered slot UP TO the slot specified for your wheel size. A small screwdriver is helpful to seat the clips after applying the glue and setting them.

• Follow the instructions to set, trim, and then fully seat them. Observe the instructions to partially inflate the tire and give them another good whack before the final seating when the tire is fully inflated. Don't be afraid to whack them hard... a rubber mallet won't hurt them or the rim.

• A thin-tipped Sharpie comes in handy for marking where to cut them to fit.

Pics of the completed install:
IMG_20130717_145917_536.jpg

IMG_20130717_145939_515.jpg

IMG_20130717_145952_879.jpg

If you're interested, come by and let's take a stab at installing them. I'm not a mechanic, but have taken apart and put together my S2000s, BMW's, and other cars quite handily (and have a bevy of tools to do it). Otherwise, I'd recommend taking it to A&L Autobody in Palatine. They work on Porsche's, Ferraris, Maserattis, BMW's all day long. Talk to Anthony and let him know Urmil sent you.

Appreciate the offer. Hopefully I can find something closer to home, but otherwise might take you up on A&L (or your tools).

The pics of my Alloy Gators are below. I included pics from several different distances form the car, to get a perspective of how they (dis)appear in general, as well as what the installation itself looks like close up.

I don't have any in-process pics, but here are some general observations about the installation task:

• The first rim took about an hour, as I was going slow and deliberately. The remainder only took about 20 mins each once I had it figured out.

• Installation requires a rubber mallet, cutters/shears that can deal with plastic (I used "tin snips" and a pair of electrical "diagonal" cutters), a tire valve removal tool (recommended to have as part of your on-board repair kit anyway), a Sharpie (optional), a small screwdriver (optional) a jack, an air pump, and a method to chock the wheels.

• The car manual specifies jacking points and method - put the jar in jack mode and suspension high. The front tires freewheel easily (greatly easing installation). The rear wheels wanted to go back in to park from neutral when I left the car seat. Solution: place in neutral and power off the car. (Make sure to chick the other wheels).

• I got a suspension error when leaving "jack mode" after jacking and lowering the car. Driving a few feet fixed this and the car once again auto leveled.

• The Alloy Gators come with metal retaining clips, and a guide for where to place them for each your wheel size. What wasn't clear to me is that you place them in every numbered slot UP TO the slot specified for your wheel size. A small screwdriver is helpful to seat the clips after applying the glue and setting them.

• Follow the instructions to set, trim, and then fully seat them. Observe the instructions to partially inflate the tire and give them another good whack before the final seating when the tire is fully inflated. Don't be afraid to whack them hard... a rubber mallet won't hurt them or the rim.

• A thin-tipped Sharpie comes in handy for marking where to cut them to fit.

scaesare, thanks for all the details! Now just the short wait for the car ;-)

Last edited by a moderator:
The hardest part is putting the metal clips into the Alloy Gators.

I had a 12 volt air pump because I replaced the run flats on my Corvette with regular tires and wanted to be prepared for flats. This same compressor is in my Model S along with a tire plug kit. It takes about 10 min to re-inflate each tire.

Installing the Alloy Gators was easy with a rubber mallet.

I used a cutter for plastic sprinkler piping to cut the Alloy Gators after installation.

I didn't even need to leave the car in neutral with the emergency brake off. Installation was easy with the rear wheels stationary.

I used a small flat aluminum plate between the bottle jack and the pad on the Model S. I gave my floor jack away when I moved to a high rise; so, I bought a cheap bottle jack.

I purchased black Alloy Gators because I have grey 21 inch wheels. I think the look is better after the installation.

So gnelson, are you saying you were able to install the gators without jacking the car at all? I'm sure it's less convenient since you can't rotate the tire as you thread the gator in, but is it doable if I don't have a jack and chocks to raise and secure the car?

And following up on an earlier question, in case I wimp out, anyone found a provider in the Bay Area to install these? I confirmed that Tesla will no longer install these... Menlo Park said it's now a national instruction from corporate to stop installing all third-party items.

Thanks all,
-josh

So gnelson, are you saying you were able to install the gators without jacking the car at all? I'm sure it's less convenient since you can't rotate the tire as you thread the gator in, but is it doable if I don't have a jack and chocks to raise and secure the car?

And following up on an earlier question, in case I wimp out, anyone found a provider in the Bay Area to install these? I confirmed that Tesla will no longer install these... Menlo Park said it's now a national instruction from corporate to stop installing all third-party items.

Thanks all,
-josh
I jacked the car, but I didn't worry about keeping it in neutral. It was easy enough to install the alloy gators with the rear wheels stationary. I would not think about deflating the tires without jacking it up.

Thanks all,
-josh

The bottle jack that I bought at Lowe's was less than $15. I did have to drive the car onto a board to get enough clearance to get the jack between the concrete and the jacking pad on the car. I also used a flat metal plate between the jack and the Tesla jacking pad to prevent damage to the Tesla. The rubber mallet was less than $10. The cost of the jack and the mallet was much less than the cost to install at a tire shop. I also was leery of a tire shop jacking my car since they may not know to put it in jack mode. I also had a 12 volt compressor to re-inflate the tires. I think it is good to have one of these since the Tesla has no spare tire. I have a plug kit in the rare event of a flat tire.

Thanks much for the followup.
I did have to drive the car onto a board to get enough clearance to get the jack between the concrete and the jacking pad on the car. I also used a flat metal plate between the jack and the Tesla jacking pad to prevent damage to the Tesla.
So I assume you already had the suspension on the "very high" level and you still needed more clearance?

Hi, has anyone put a set of silver Alloygators on the 21" gray rims?
I'm just about to order a set and think I'd go for a set of silver and a set of black. I hope the discount (TESLA10) would still be active, even if it was suppose to be until July 31st.
I'm waiting for my P85+ with gray rims and will put the silver on my 19" winter tyres.
I'd still try to see how the gray rims will look like with silver Alloygators.

I had the Alloygators put on my rims on Friday. I had them removed on Saturday.

I found a tire shop that was willing to put them on, but they were a little concerned as these sit where the bead is supposed to be touching the rim and having these on there really increases the risk of leaks. I discovered this myself. My front left was starting to leak and the TPMS system alerted me to it.

After talking to the tire guy for a while I decided that the risk was just not worth it. He said he didn't believe the risk was worth is and having experienced an issue so soon I decided that I didn't want to take the risk of additional leaks later. If needed I can get the rims fixed can be done at the same shop. the guys were really nice about it. They didn't charge me to remove them.

If anyone in the south bay is looking to get it done California Wheels on Winchester will put them on for you. Expect that Tommy will warn you about doing it though. They don't recommend it because, as my experience shows, the Alloygators can cause problems with the integrity of the tire bead. The guys at the shop were very nice and know their tires. (Thanks to Jeff for the referral to them.)

Additionally, my wife and I decided we weren't really that thrilled with the look when they were on. The plastic clip that holds the ends together looked very plastic and diminished the nice look of the rims.