Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Alloy Gators Rim Protection (Pics and info)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Huge thanks to everyone and their photos. Was originally going to order black, but I think the silver will look great on my 21s. Does anyone know of a good shop in the Bay Area who can fix rim rash :/ I've only had my car for two weeks and have had two nasty encounters with the curb.

The code isn't working, but I will email to see if they can re-activate.

Just had to take the gators off mine to change to winter tires and after only 2 months crazy scratches on the rims under the gators from the dirt rubbing against plastic and rim. Not worth having definite scratches versus maybe rim rash. Have to fix both anyway.

I have a black and silver brand new set if someone wants it cheaper than from website.

Sam I'm with you. No need to scratch the wheel with the Gators. I just sold my 21" Wheels and put on the Rial 19" with Blizzaks. In the Spring I may buy a second set of Rials. Since they are 19" much less prone to damage. If I do damage one so what I'll just buy a Rim from tirerack for $200.

Last edited:
Sam I'm with you. No need to scratch the wheel with the Gators. I just sold my 21" Wheels and pu ton the Rial 19" with Blizzaks. In the Spring I may buy a second set or Rials. Since they are 19" much less prone to damage. If I do damage one so what I'll just buy a Rim from tirerack for $200.

For those buying a winter wheel/tire package. My decision was to go with the 'gators' on the summer (3 season) tire/wheel combo and nothing to protect my less expensive tire rack wheel and tire winter set.

Sorry to hear that your gators caused some problems Sam.

Sam I'm with you. No need to scratch the wheel with the Gators. I just sold my 21" Wheels and put on the Rial 19" with Blizzaks. In the Spring I may buy a second set of Rials. Since they are 19" much less prone to damage. If I do damage one so what I'll just buy a Rim from tirerack for $200.

This is kinda my thinking too. Not eager to return to 21

Hi - I installed my Alloy Gators today. It was a straightforward installation and they look good.

But a question: There was no way I could get the car to stay in neutral without the emergency brake going on when I left the car. Although several people in this thread said to power off the car while in jack mode and neutral (i.e., "The rear wheels wanted to go back in to park from neutral when I left the car seat. Solution: place in neutral and power off the car.") This absolutely does not work on my car. No matter how I do it, the car always sets the emergency brake when the door is opened. I tried the trick of keeping the door sensor closed but the e-brake would always set when I powered off the car or left the driver's seat.

The only way I could get the rear wheels to free-wheel was to set a heavy object in the driver seat (a 5-gallon propane tank), reach in the open window with a broom handle to press the brake pedal, and press the "Place in Neutral" menu item on the screen. That worked, but it seems a bit silly to have to do it that way.

Does the latest firmware perhaps prohibit leaving the car while in neutral, or powering it off in neutral without automatically setting the e-brake? As I say, none of the tricks listed earlier in this thread worked on my car.

Looks like they sell them in the silver color also?

sure they do... ;)

picture i took

IMG_20140307_112838.jpg

Thanks to this thread, I bought a set of Alloy Gators direct rom the UK. I even used the "tesla10" discount too. This is a set of their "gun metal grey" ones which seems to be a new color. I think they might have developed this color just for us Tesla owners!

Two pictures, one in the shade and one in the sun.

uge2a4e6.jpg

9u4u7ene.jpg

Installation was not hard but took longer than I expected and it was a decent amount of work. Took about 2 hours. Had to do my first one over again as I was not sure they were fully seated the first time and I was timid with the rubber mallet. I don't think it is necessary to rotate the rear tires while installing, you just have to take your time and make sure it's fully seated.

I've had the ally gators on my 21" wheels for over a year. To be blunt I hate them. They look great when you first put them on but it's all downhill from there. Mine were installed by an expert so don't tell me it's the installation. They come loose from under the tires, they collect dirt, and over time they don't lie flat against the rim in places (what I call a ripple effect). And they're incredibly difficult to remove even when they seem to be falling off the rim. In short they're ugly, impratical spunks. Observant people notice and ask me what's wrong with my rims. That's exactly what they're supposed to prevent -- looking like your rims are damaged. After a year of wear and tear (and two replacements) these things make all of my rims look damaged to one degree or another.

I know people are going to say they look ugly because they protected my rims, but there's got to be a better product that serves that purpose. One that's easier to put on and remove when they're damaged. The alloy gators are a pia to install and remove.

So they're coming off this week, to be replaced by something else, yet to be determined. Regrettably I have to take them to a tire shop to have them removed. Being the DIY guy I am, I tried to do it myself today -- jacked up one wheel, let all of the air out of the tire, and still couldn't remove it.

I'm sorry I spent a dime on these things.

I'll post some pictures when they're removed so all can see how ugly they've become after a year.

Last edited: