Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Almost ICE'd at Burlington, NC Supercharger - 7 of 8 Stalls Blocked

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I get it, but.... I think we need to be the best Tesla ambassadors of all time. The size of the crowd alone means we're going to be ICE'd. This is when we need to show our best colors, our most polite character. I don't like being ICE'd one bit, however this is the best opportunity of all time to share what a wonderful car this is, with everyone there. Ticketed!? Towed!? Stupid ICE drivers!? No, I don't think so... {I know it's tough!} ... but turn this nightmare scenario into the most wonderful opportunistic moment.. to educate ICE drivers. They may soon be Tesla Model E buyers, and it may be because we were not cross with them!!! Vent your frustration elsewhere,.. here perhaps,.. but definitely not on location with the general public! Heck!! ...maybe we should get Wheel of Fortune to place a Tesla Model S on the wheel... :)!

In other words, be nice to the people who prevented you from charging your car?

Not a chance. I am not an ambassador. I did not join a cult when I bought this car. I paid $2,000 to have those spots available when *I* need them. I value my time and I don't feel that spending it "educating" a moron who couldn't read a sign in the first place is good use of that time. I love answering peoples' questions about my car, but I draw the line when you squat in an EV charging space.

Has anyone hear never parked where they shouldn't have during an event that stresses local parking?

I mean we are talking WOF here! I think this is less of a problem than usual ICEing.

I usually leave less than nice notes on people's cars but I realize that people might see the sign and purposely disregard it for hatred of EVs. It isn't an entirely unreasonable protest move if you are opposed to EVs.

While I am a fan of tax incentives for EVs given the political climate, it is really easy to see how someone who can't afford a Tesla objects to rich people getting tax breaks to buy them. And then tax breaks to install chargers (not for Tesla but that is not common knowledge).

In other words, be nice to the people who prevented you from charging your car?

It would be pretty hard in the real world. I AM an "ambassador" and while there are many who are better out there I'd say there aren't many.

I've never been ICE'd and have really never charged away from home unless I was just messing around to see how a charger worked. However, I can see that if I planned a trip around a Supercharger; I would want to get the charge I need and move on. If I got to the Supercharger and was ICE'd I'd be very annoyed.

Most of the people who park there are ignorant, or just don't care, or a combination of both. Being nice is all good. Believe me, it's how I roll. The ONLY thing that will get the attention of folks who park where they shouldn't is towing, ticket, fine etc...

In the absence of financial pain or inconvenience, these "type" of folks will just continue to park in EV spots.

Al,

the word 'pain' stuck with me. We need a well-hidden device to supply 30V AC to the door handles of the offending car, similar effect like a cow fence. If they get zapped and run to the host, they get the answer "well these are electric car spots. You did see the sign?" :tongue:

They should definitely tow. This isn't an ordinary level 2 charger. If the owner won't do it, superchargers should not have been put there. Tesla should take its wealthy customers with time to waste elsewhere. This happened in north carolina. Wouldn't surprise me if its an intentional move to block Tesla chargers, that darn EV movement, we'll show 'em.

Different Superchargers seem to have different rules as mentioned above. I seem to remember the Supercharger in Normal IL had 4 slots. 1 had a sign specifically allowing it to be ICE'd and sure enough it was. Not sure why they went that way. Someone local said it was the mayors idea. Maybe in the future with more demand and more time to decide, TM can be more selective. Normal IS a great choice for location though.

Was there an event going on in the background? Is it usually that crowded?

According to the OP there was some kind of Wheel of Fortune tryout going on. I would think this location being ICEd would be very rare given the location of the parking spaces in relation to the rest of the mall. They are actually really far away from everything and if it weren't for this special event, there would be no concern about the spaces being ICEd. It is curious though that people can't seem to pay attention to the signs.

I agree the signage is a little vague there - 4 bays with "Tesla - 30 Minute General Parking"; the other 4 bays with "Tesla - Electric Vehicle Parking".

Would much prefer the sign seen in post #15 above: "30 Minute Parking Only - Except for Electric Vehicle Charging"

Having said that it appears this was an unusual event:

On my return trip the next day it looked like this:
(Below is the prior day's event)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    183.9 KB · Views: 906
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    213 KB · Views: 915
That area of the parking lot actually does get reasonably well populated during prime movie viewing days / hours. We stopped there one weekend and cars were filling up pretty much every spot up to the SC area. And that wasn't even for a major movie release weekend, just some ordinary fall evening.

If we think this is bad, just wait until all the Model X & Gen III Teslas are on the road. And now that Tesla is sharing it's patents, if other EVs are able to supercharge, it will be next to impossible competing for non ICD'd charging spots with all the other EVs.

If they sell 500k of the Model E they will have 500k * $2000 to build more Superchargers. If BMW and Nissan will jump on the Supercharger bandwagon, they will be contributing money to build more as well.

Almost ICE'd at a Supercharger - 7 of 8 Stalls Blocked

Correct. The Tesla charging network is a self funding operation and as more cars are sold more Superchargers will be built. I am not worried about overcrowding especially since Tesla has real time use data so overcrowding can be detected and remedied. This has already happened at some stations.

Last edited:
This subject has been discussed many times here and it is always one that people feel very strong about. I think rightfully so as these charging stations have to be available 100%. Blocked spots cause huge delays and frustration. Even any delay defies the whole point of having fast charging. We arrive at Superchargers with low state of charge so there is little to no room to look for alternatives. Mostly there are non around anyways.

I few weeks ago a spot at the Hamilton SC was ICEd. The wife was in the passenger seat and said she told her husband not to park there, so I waited for him to come out. I asked him if what he was driving was the newest model Tesla and said the spaces were only for Teslas, he pointed to a few open spaces and said he wasn't blocking anyone. I told him that wasn't the point, that we charge our cars here, and then added "If Tesla owners all parked in front of the gas pumps to run inside for coffee, when you needed to stop for gas, you wouldn't be able to gas up your car. It's the same thing for us here." While I didn't win him over completely, he did say he saw my point.

I think that almost all ICE owners have no idea that an SC is our "gas" station. I think they just think it is reserved parking. Is there a thread where we can discuss interactions with ICE owners, and successes or failures with educating the public?

I pulled into a gas station last night to grab a soda and drove around the building to get a "real" spot, was considering "EV-ing" one of the pumps because I've been ICE-d. While I was paying a pickup truck blocked two of the pumps for me while he satisfied his nicotine habit.