Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Almost ready with FSD Beta V9

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"Since we decided to remove radar, we had to rewrite some codes. This will cause about 1 to 2 years delay for FSD, but we think it is a small price to pay for the reduced weight."

Would sound totally legit in Elon-terms. He would say 6 months though, and it would take actually 4 years until they make a breakthrough and put the radar back.

Yes. That has been there since October 2016... Autopilot - https://web.archive.org/web/20161107160623/https://www.tesla.com/autopilot

Actually, looking at that, "Tesla Vision" has been defined on there since 2016 as well (5 years and people all of a sudden want to claim there's a re-branding) :rolleyes:

🤡🤡
you do know which forum you're posting in right? Facts like that have no place for some folks.
This is THE place for inventing your own feature, creating a new expectation based on that feature you just invented then being angry when the shipped product doesn't meet your own, unrealistic expectation. (HUD anyone??)
🤣

That was not clear at all. Anyway, as these are described as components of FSD, it's unlikely any of these would replace the term FSD. I'm optimistic Tesla will deliver, eventually.

On a long enough hypothetical timeline, I am highly confident that Tesla will eventually deliver L4 general FSD.

I'm less confident that any statistically significant portion of Tesla vehicles currently on the road will still be in the hands of their original buyers when that happens.

I honestly bet that vision-only can't tell these aren't tunnels, or at best gets confused most of the time. Radar & Lidar would say "Wall" from any distance or approach angle.

StreetArt_Painted_Tunnel_02.jpg

StreetArt_Tunnel_To_Nowhere.jpg

thats why you use maps aswell.

I want to get there.

Me too. But if I can actually use the time of the journey productively, instead of wasting it on "driving" then I'm WAY WAY WAY ahead of where we are today even if the trip takes a few minutes longer because it's doing the speed limit.

35 productive minutes in the car driving itself is vastly superior to 30 wasted minutes manually driving and unable to do anything useful.

Reactions: GZDongles
May have missed it, did Elon mention Remove to the radar? ok Okay. I got it.
BTW, I just love these pictures. Are there more?
I'm pretty sure I've seen roadrunners enter those tunnels without a problem. The trick is to meep-meep first.

In all seriously, I would think pseudo-Lidar would be able to tell via parallax it's a solid wall...maybe.

I kind of miss when the cars would spin around and slam into one another on the display. The good old days.
and busses "giving birth" to sedans, etc, can't forget those gems either...

Nowadays, I am very impressed with how well the repeater and b-pillar cams pickup traffic correctly and are able to perform lane changes way more human like... progress is definitely happening all around.

Last edited:
I honestly bet that vision-only can't tell these aren't tunnels, or at best gets confused most of the time. Radar & Lidar would say "Wall" from any distance or approach angle.

StreetArt_Painted_Tunnel_02.jpg

StreetArt_Tunnel_To_Nowhere.jpg
Depth percepting cameras would know. For example cameras that use PDAF for depth perception.
A couple of links after googling the subject:
  1. https://www.osapublishing.org/Direc...01-39B2A8904F795762_344306/oe-24-12-12868.pdf
  2. Learning to Predict Depth on the Pixel 3 Phones
Sony sells PDAF depth percepting image sensors for a few dollars in large quantities.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert
Well I admit that when I first heard of FSD from a friend years ago taking me for a drive in his car, I just assumed it meant "Functions Some Days". Yea, kind of a joke, but the way it was bouncing the car all over the road, that is what I was thinking. Fortunately it has gotten better, but I still want more :)

Reactions: mikes_fsd