Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Am I screwed for going 75D rather than 100D?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Look for an inventory 100D and switch it. If you got the 22” rims you’re screwed because they take 20% off the range right there. Just a heads up. I switched from a custom 90D to a P100D and Tesla made the switch 21 days before my delivery date without a loss of deposit. Think about how bad they were trying to get rid of those 90kw batteries they still let me switch I think they will help you

Definitely upgrade to the 100D. I’ve owned a 75D model S for two years now. What the EPA claims about millage is a myth. When I start off in the morning at 90% my car tells me my range is only 160 or so miles. I suspect the EPA rating is at 55mph with a tail wind on a ruler-flat route. I’m sure the 160 is based on my driving. I don’t go 55, more like 75 which increases the drain.

Another thing to consider is your chargin time. The batteries charge fairly rapidly up to around 70%, but then slow down significantly. That last 20% takes as long as the previous 40%. This is because the batteries are getting hot at this point and the computer is doing a lot of thermal management to prevent any from over heating.

Something else you can do to increase highway mileage is to lower the vehicle. I find dropping the vehicle from “Standard” to “Low” increases the mileage by about 5%.

Look for an inventory 100D and switch it. If you got the 22” rims you’re screwed because they take 20% off the range right there. Just a heads up. I switched from a custom 90D to a P100D and Tesla made the switch 21 days before my delivery date without a loss of deposit. Think about how bad they were trying to get rid of those 90kw batteries they still let me switch I think they will help you
My SA said very recently Tesla decided to not transfer the deposit. Whether that’s true or not, I don’t know.

But I did order an inventory 100D with 20” rims. It’s white rather than black, but I can wrap it matte black if I really really wanted black.

@KingGoopa , you made a great choice I think! In fact:
75D EPA range 237 miles
90% and 3% degradation 237 x .87 = 206 miles
So if you keep under 65 mph in summer, you will easily make it. However at 75 mph you will get 15% less so 175 miles. You are still ok. 80 mph and you will be cutting close.
In winter it really depends how much heat you use. Above 30 degrees your reduced range would be 20% so it's already 164 miles @65mph, this means you have only 206 - 150 x 1.2 = 26 miles of range left, which is about 10%.
Below 30 degrees the range hit becomes 30% and 176 miles with 100% charge.

So... with 75D basically you keep watching your speed all the time, and in winter be very careful not to exceed 65mph. Or if you get below freezing, you definitely need a supercharging stop. And in winter I don't recommend you "plan" to use the battery below 10% for safety reasons.

With 100D you have nothing to worry about! No consideration of speed, temperature, snow or whatever. Just charge to 90% in winter and 80% in summer, enjoy your commute.

My SA said very recently Tesla decided to not transfer the deposit. Whether that’s true or not, I don’t know.

But I did order an inventory 100D with 20” rims. It’s white rather than black, but I can wrap it matte black if I really really wanted black.
You can press them he had to ask the store manager who then relayed it to a regional manager

You’re upgrading not downgrading so they should be happy, presumably the more expensive car has a higher margin

if 150 miles is your maximum travel distance, its more than enough for a 75D. at 90% you're looking at about 210 rated miles. If you drive fast, 210 rated miles becomes about 190ish so you're still good. There are superchargers everywhere.

That being said, if you don't mind casually spending $16.5k extra, then go for the 100D.

Reactions: MikeInFL
I just asked my Sales Advisor and she said I should be ok with 75D and she’s scheduling a 24hour test drive for me to test my commute. But if I wanted to get 100D, the $2,500 is not transferable and I have to pay another $2,500.
Can you show the webpage saying that the $2,500 deposit is not transferable?

I have been commuting for a while doing a 3 hours and 130 miles each day, 6 time a week, I had to get gas twice a week.
So I have a little idea of your driving situation.

In your case you can charge at home every night, so it's a little bit different situation.
But still, it seems to me that getting a 100D would provide a little bit more peace of mind.

So, I will do a test drive with the 75D and when returning the car I would mention that the 100D would be more practical.
However, if I have to lose $2,500 then why not getting a 90kWh I-Pace then...

You’ll get a max of 180 miles reliably on a 100% charge.
I hate to say it but I think you’ll regret the 75 battery. It’s just too inflexible. Some days you might need to revisit an earlier stop, or lots of other scenarios that will be a pain with the smaller battery.
Also the 100 battery charges faster (adds range faster).

Good decision to change. 3-4 hours before our order got officially confirmed, my husband and I panicked trying to decide whether to do the upgrade from 75d to 100d (he commutes 140 miles RT). We followed through and are extremely happy with our decision because we don't want to live with range anxiety since we plan to have this car as long as possible. Like other people mentioned, to preserve battery life it's best to keep charge between roughly 20-80 or 90% and with degradation over time.. that would've given us around 150miles.. the 100d gave us more of a peace of mind

Reactions: hiroshiy
I think with a 150 mile commute I would lean toward a 100D, but that would depend on SC availability en-route. If there was a convenient SC along the journey then range would cease to be any issue - probably only need to use it in winter conditions anyway. If there was no SC then it would have to be a 100D for sure.

I happen to have a 75D, but I only need a 100 mile range for daily use so it’s never an issue.

• Helpful
Reactions: hiroshiy