TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Am Radio?

Discussion in 'Model X: User Interface' started by m2s2, Aug 1, 2016.

1. m2s2

m2s2 Member

Just traded my MS for an MX. I notice in the MX there is no AM? Not a huge issue as I can find most of the am sports stations I listen to through Tuneln radio. But is AM gone on newer versions or am I just missing it?
    Thanks

• Like x 1
  2. ThomasB

ThomasB Member

#2 ThomasB, Aug 1, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
    Its gone my friend... but you can get it via internet radio. Not true AM but better then not having the option.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  3. nctalkinghead

nctalkinghead Member

There are probably some Tesla owners who never heard OF - much less ever actually heard - AM Radio! And this is written by someone who made his living as a broadcaster for 50 years+.

• Like x 1
  4. m2s2

m2s2 Member

Ya it's just strange not having an am dial. Then again I'm driving an electric car that basically drives itself on my highway commute....

And I get my sports talk through tuneln radio

5. nwdiver

nwdiver Active Member

This might be why there's no AM radio in the X.... I haven't tried in on an actual channel but you really can hear the motor through the radio...

6. AnxietyRanger

AnxietyRanger Well-Known Member

@nwdiver Indeed, I believe the interference from an AC motor to AM radio is the reason. I recall some discussions saying Model X was not the only BEV (BMW i3 too or some?) to not have it.

Why Model S has it but Model X doesn't. No idea.

7. scottyd

scottyd Member

I count this as a feature, as it keeps me from hate-listening to talk radio

• Funny x 2
    • Like x 1
  8. RichardL

RichardL Member

Its interesting though that when I get in of a morning and the radio has not yet started playing the FM station I left it on, I see '520 AM' as the default station on the IC display. Some left over default setting perhaps.

9. stillageek

stillageek Member

It's kinda odd. We currently have a Nissan LEAF, BMW I3 and Tesla Model X. Only the LEAF has AM radio from the factory. I turned on AM in the I3 via coding. The I3 AM isn't the best...but it's good...in the Dallas area many of the top AM stations rebroadcast on HD radio anyway.

10. COrich

COrich Member

I saw the fact that AM wasn't in the receiver when I ordered my X. It never bothered me because I haven't listened to AM radio since I was in high school 45 years ago.

11. rltsx

rltsx Member

LOL it drove me crazy at lunch today that I couldn't find AM radio. I did not know that isn't on the X. I was able to find my local sports talk on internet radio, so it's all good.