Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AMD Ryzen & 12v Batteries now shipping in US Y & 3!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Heard that Ryzen is affecting range though
I think there is a lot of mixed messaging around this. If you do the math for larger power draw of the Ryzen, even if you assume 100% max draw, the net drop in mileage would be rather small compared to the actual drop in Australia (I believe) where they changed the range and had the hardware as the reason. Chances are they had to change how they test their range numbers and it dropped and they used the processors as the pretext. In other countries range has dropped for the M3 and yet increased for the MY, yet clearly no one thinks that the Ryzen increases range.

Reactions: tm1v2
Heard that Ryzen is affecting range though
Nah, the AMD architecture is a helluva lot more efficient that than Intel. And in context of perf per watt, it's off the chart.

Now how much it draws is up to how Musk/Tesla tune it (as the arch is very tunable for power vs efficiency) and how much ppl use the extra power to play games etc.

The other thing we don't know is how as the poster above alluded to, how "they" add the potential to draw much more power playing games/etc into the power draw as a whole.

Nah, the AMD architecture is a helluva lot more efficient that than Intel. And in context of perf per watt, it's off the chart.

Now how much it draws is up to how Musk/Tesla tune it (as the arch is very tunable for power vs efficiency) and how much ppl use the extra power to play games etc.

The other thing we don't know is how as the poster above alluded to, how "they" add the potential to draw much more power playing games/etc into the power draw as a whole.
Actually the new Ryzen consumes almost 4x the power of the old Atom (45W vs 12W). There is a reason it is faster. But in terms of 100% usage while driving, range would only be affected by 33W x 6 hours at 55mph = 200Wh for the entire battery. 0.25% decrease in range, not 4%.

Actually the new Ryzen consumes almost 4x the power of the old Atom (45W vs 12W). There is a reason it is faster. But in terms of 100% usage while driving, range would only be affected by 33W x 6 hours at 55mph = 200Wh for the entire battery. 0.25% decrease in range, not 4%.
That's not how it works. No chips run max 100% the whole time and that ignores tuning to fit whatever power envelope. Also custom SOCs are designed to fit whatever Tesla wanted for in regards to power draw anyways so...

That's not how it works. No chips run max 100% the whole time and that ignores tuning to fit whatever power envelope. Also custom SOCs are designed to fit whatever Tesla wanted for in regards to power draw anyways so...
Agreed, but I think you can take that estimate as a worst-case scenario, and even if you look at that, the impact on net range is rather negligible. It's all much ado about nothing imo.

My EDD has held firm at Feb 24-March 24 since I ordered it back in October. Today it shows March 17-31. So I guess I'm entering the EDD dance phase. No idea if this EDD will hold, but I'm thinking I should definitely have the Ryzen by that time eh? It'll be coming out of Fremont most likely since I'm in NorCal.

That was kinda my point, worst case scenario at 100% usage and 45W TDP vs 12W TDP of Atom, it still wouldn't account for a 4% range drop. I was just explaining that with the math. But the new chip likely does use more power than the old Atom, just not enough to make a difference in the range.

0FC363E2-726E-416A-B9CC-8B4F5DF4BC23.jpeg

Model Y Performance 368 VIN White int Black ext no tow no FSD

I wonder when the EPA will add game playing to their EV mileage estimates? I'll want to apply for that job! :cool:

• Funny
Reactions: thesmokingman