Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AMD Ryzen & 12v Batteries now shipping in US Y & 3!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you do get intel, it means that they switched back which would suck. I noticed few more people are now getting Ryzen on M3. Wonder if they flipped the supply and then again in few weeks they’ll flip back to MY.

Have you reached out to the phone/chat support and see what they say?
That would suck!!!! I hope that’s not the case lol

So, I can confirm AMD and Li-ion 12V. No dual glazed rear windows. No passenger lumbar (still). Working wireless phone charger. No heated wiper tray.

Birthday 1/14/21, NF360XXX

The upgrade to HEPA (bio weapon defense) has added a new upper tray above the battery so it is much harder to see without removing the frunk tub but thanks to others I can verify that this red cable and silver capped battery is the type used on li-ion and not the old lead acid style.

View attachment 758096
View attachment 758097
View attachment 758098
That is awesome to hear. Thank you for updating us. I received my VIN 1/15 360xxx but have not been able to get an actual answer from Tesla. I’m on the east coast so I still got a wait so this is good to hear.

Zapcar is likely talking about M3 judging by his username. There is less confidence in that data.

For MY, there has been no official word that they have switched to AMD but there have been reports from SAs that sometime on 1/9 Fremont switched to AMD. Since some SAs tell facts (they can only see what chip you have, not what battery you have) and others make things up to make you keep your order, it is hard to believe what they say. My SA told me on 1/10 that no updates had been done yet regarding the 12V, cpu or rear glass. Yet he has since confirmed that my car built on 1/14 has the AMD and li-ion 12v. I am hoping he is correct on the 12v but I am getting a car with tow and I have not been notified that some features will not work currently so I will find out when I get my car later today.

My guess is unless the new Li-ion battery has a data connection to the car, it cannot be identified by the computer. Unless there is a database where every part number is entered manually for each car, the car computer has no way of identifying what parts are attached unless they have a data connection. If only one of these SAs wanted to be honest and show the data they are looking at (a screenshot of whatever they are using to identify these parts) then we could start believing what they are spewing. Or Tesla created a legit window sticker or build sheet it would be much easier to track these features.
Hmmmm....my EDD is Feb-24-March 24. If I have to I can try putting off the delivery date. Side note: my EDD has never changed since the placement of the order. I'm in NorCal so I'm assuming my MY will come from Fremont.

My bad. Sounds like an outlier. SA have been known to be wrong. Frequently.
It wasn’t my SA but the general Tesla number but he told me that the chips have not been switched over. So I wonder if some just don’t know and it may actually be AMD.
Got VIN (F366xxx) assigned for MYLR today. Checked with SA for processor. He said that its build date is today (1/20) but Intel processor. I thought its AMD for all MY builds since this week. Hope SA is wrong!

Reactions: DrGriz
Hmmmm....my EDD is Feb-24-March 24. If I have to I can try putting off the delivery date. Side note: my EDD has never changed since the placement of the order. I'm in NorCal so I'm assuming my MY will come from Fremont.
Until there are confirmed customer deliveries from Austin, ALL Teslas in the US come from Fremont so it is very safe for you to assume a known fact.

Reactions: advocate8
I haven't found anything about the lithium battery having a different voltage except the random poster in here. How would our 12 volt toys run if it weren't 12 volt?
Somewhere it was stated that they had to disconnect the accessory feed to the trailer wiring harness because it would cause a battery in the trailer to over-charge and that there would eventually be an accessory towing power module added to the vehicle to bring the voltage down to normal so that the accessory feed on the trailer harness could be restored.

That and the aux battery in the Model S/X is clearly labeled as 15v.

Last edited:
I haven't found anything about the lithium battery having a different voltage except the random poster in here. How would our 12 volt toys run if it weren't 12 volt?
Cigarette lighter voltage in regular cars fluctuates all the time. It could be 12v when the car is parked and go higher around 15v when engine is running. All accessories normally expect this voltage fluctuation. We should not have a problem with new Tesla battery voltage but we will see when more people get these batteries and start plugging in "toys". The question is how much higher the voltage goes when Tesla is charging the battery? Did they put voltage regulator for cigarette lighter socket or not?

Last edited:
Reactions: DrGriz
I would like to make a minor recommendation that will be of use to a lot of members:
Please enter the model, color ext/int, wheels, Tow, and FSD, Order Date (OD), Estimated Delivery Date (EDDs), VIN, and pick-up location in your signature.

FYI: Unfortunately we newbies apparently have to make 5-6 posts on TMC before we can create a signature and/or add reactions to others' posts. So the omission may not be intentional, as a lot of us are aware this is useful info to be including!

• Helpful
Reactions: Noflash
According to this Twitter thread, it appears the Li-ion battery is a requirement for the AMD-based MCU:

I wouldn't jump to conclusions just yet. The user manual from Model S (supposed to be equipped with AMD according to the article) shows what looks like a new battery and describes procedure how to jump start from from another vehicle 12v including powering up the screen. If 15v is a minimum requirement then we shouldn't be able to start an MCU from 12v... Also, the processors normally require stable voltage to run and use voltage regulators since the car voltage fluctuates when at rest or charging. I think the 15v is a nominal voltage but the board can accept something in the range of 12-16v to run.
IMO, we need more data/tests before we can say for sure.
1642788878422.png

Last edited: