Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

And now the GPS...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not a surprise, as most of the things on MS are sub-par, but the Navigation is driving me crazy.
It frequently shows my car on a different road, sometimes more than a block away.
Using the maps any of my phones yields the correct position on them, but my MS really things we are somewhere else.
Has anyone else experienced this?

No issues here. I've been quite impressed with the navigation...super easy to use, I love the "live" search that auto populates as you type in the address. I'd say best navigation I've used in any vehicle so far (previous cars were M235i and Audi A4).

Sorry I was of no help.

Not a surprise, as most of the things on MS are sub-par, but the Navigation is driving me crazy.
It frequently shows my car on a different road, sometimes more than a block away.
Using the maps any of my phones yields the correct position on them, but my MS really things we are somewhere else.

Never in New England where I live, but I recently experienced this on our drive to Mont Tremblant, just north of Montreal. Maybe they have different providers for different regions.

Yes all the time since I've owned it. Plenty of threads on how terrible Nav is on this forum. Most of us just use our phones if it's critical to get somewhere. Sad.

Like I've said on other threads, I depend on Waze on my phone for navigating. It's accurate, faster, calculated based on real world traffic and even gives me a heads up on objects, cars stalled and police ahead on my route. So much wish I had the full blown Waze app on the 17" screen that's not on the browser. Works fine in my small iPhone screen for now.

No, not ever, in 2 ½ years of MS driving.

Only problem I have with the NAV is I know it is near perfectly straight shot from my home to the interstate and for some reason the NAV wants me to drive almost 5 miles out of my way. Even when I go my way the NAV keeps telling my to do a U Turn and go back the way it wants me to go until I am about 1/2 mile from the highway at which time is says "OK, just go straight one more half mail and get on the freeway instead of now doubling back nearly 10 miles to get on the highway over there where I was telling you. a moment ago"

These are roads that have been well established for at least 4 years and they show up on the NAV, just the NAV doesn't seem to want me to use them.

Reactions: RAW84
Has been working fine for us as well. Does you mobile app show the car in the wrong location as well? (I assume it would)

I agree with the previous suggestion: Take it to a service center. Take pictures of the Car's Nav showing you in the wrong position and a screen shot of your phone's Nav as proof.

My nav has been awesome, I have had the car since October 2012. The only problem is in the morning to get GPS fix while I am leaving my garage. I have driven all over the US and Canada. I have issues in Canada, especially Niagara Falls, as my cell signal sucks and the maps do not redraw fast enough.

Only problem I have with the NAV is I know it is near perfectly straight shot from my home to the interstate and for some reason the NAV wants me to drive almost 5 miles out of my way. Even when I go my way the NAV keeps telling my to do a U Turn and go back the way it wants me to go until I am about 1/2 mile from the highway at which time is says "OK, just go straight one more half mail and get on the freeway instead of now doubling back nearly 10 miles to get on the highway over there where I was telling you. a moment ago"

These are roads that have been well established for at least 4 years and they show up on the NAV, just the NAV doesn't seem to want me to use them.

Silly routes is why I stopped using NAV and rely on my phone. I haven't had an issue with it properly locating my car, tho.

I love the Tesla Nav. I find the accuracy amazing. I sometimes zoom in on the map and it typically even shows me in the correct lane. I've had the problem the OP describes for short periods of time in another car I drive. It happens after I start the car and it doesn't have a good GPS lock. It uses inertial navigation during that time and will be somewhat off about the location.

No issues here. I've been quite impressed with the navigation...super easy to use, I love the "live" search that auto populates as you type in the address. I'd say best navigation I've used in any vehicle so far (previous cars were M235i and Audi A4).

Sorry I was of no help.

Same for me. No problems. When I use Waze, which for many is the gold standard, at the same time it most often follows the same route. Curious: If you think so many things on the Model S are subpar, why did you buy one?

OP, I have had that issue happen 2x over the 6 months I've had the car. I know what you mean, it's like a few blocks off from where you really are. Takes 10m to get its bearings again. Rare occurrence.

To other folks saying they get dumb routes, I get that as well. Will tell me to take an exit before the exit I want, to take back roads, when I can access the location directly off the next exit.

Overall I give it a B, because the voice control is pretty rad.

No issues in 2 years of driving in Canada and USA

My nav has been awesome, I have had the car since October 2012. The only problem is in the morning to get GPS fix while I am leaving my garage. I have driven all over the US and Canada. I have issues in Canada, especially Niagara Falls, as my cell signal sucks and the maps do not redraw fast enough.

I suspect this is the change over of cell carriers. I have always found a few "holes" in LTE coverage when crossing the borders in either direction