Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Annoying whistle noise, when driving relatively slowly – Is it normal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's crazy, these people saying that's normal need to get their hearing fixed or get better speakers/headphones. That's not normal, I don't have it on my M3.
Well.. The Microphone is not the best, but to drive the car and hearing these - at times - loud wind/whine frequencies makes you crazy.

So, I need to find a strategy to get it looked at again. Unfortunately, it is easy for Tesla to just say it's "normal noise" for a Tesla with dual motor. hmm..

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Do you drive AWD Dual Moter aswell? The service center in Denmark told me that the motor in the front makes these kind og noises... But as I told them, the wind-noise is quite new to me.

Yes I've got a the AWD as well. Mine definitely "whines" as the front motor does make that sound. It does NOT "whistle" like what I think I hear yours doing.

Well.. The Microphone is not the best, but to drive the car and hearing these - at times - loud wind/whine frequencies makes you crazy.

So, I need to find a strategy to get it looked at again. Unfortunately, it is easy for Tesla to just say it's "normal noise" for a Tesla with dual motor. hmm..

Perhaps it’s in that range that certain people can’t hear, similar to devices used in some locations to prevent youngsters from hanging around by emitting a noise old people can’t hear.

...I made another one...

I guess you are concerned about the futuristic whistling/jet-like sound when you accelerate or decelerate?

That's the sound that even hybrid cars emit when their gasoline engine is off.

That's expected and normal.

I only get worried when that noise changes to loud humming noise as if a big drone is hovering on top of your head. That could be a sign that the drive unit might fail soon.

Reactions: Toke_Holledig
I have a P3D and if I have the radio off and the fan low I can sort of hear a similar sound and that is definitely electric motor whine in my case. I had a Bolt previously and I could hear a similar sound. I have to admit I can barely hear it in your videos but I think I do. I think it is normal electric whine but if concerned go into a Service Center as suggested. The other thing I do notice is that EVs in general are so much quieter you hear everything and that took a bit of adjustment for me - now I find ICE cars sound super loud.

My AWD makes this sound as well, it kind of just started fairly recently. I’m pretty sure I didn’t hear it like that before. It’s more predominant now for sure.

I’m not sure how a software update could have caused it, but who knows. That may be it. I can’t imagine the motor would suddenly start doing it on its own. Likely a regen adjustment caused the resistance to be just the right amount to cause this whistle to arise. Not sure.

I’ll live with it for a while, and see if future updates fix it. It’s not that bad in the mean time.

Adding another data point to this: mine is an early RWD MY2017 and the whistling noise started recently, must be caused by one of the latest updates. It comes on at about 38 mph, maxes out at 39-40 mph, and by 45 mph it is gone. Have not noticed it outside this range, must be some resonance problem.

Adding another data point to this: mine is an early RWD MY2017 and the whistling noise started recently, must be caused by one of the latest updates. It comes on at about 38 mph, maxes out at 39-40 mph, and by 45 mph it is gone. Have not noticed it outside this range, must be some resonance problem.

It’s fairly high pitched for me. I’ll wait for the next update and see if that addresses it.
Tesla has been sending out so many updates lately, you don’t have to wait long.
It’s like getting a package from Amazon. Always exciting. :)