Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another Model S feature wishlist

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I might add I already mentioned this with this line:
*Factory mounted and removable towing head

Either foldaway or removable. And I agree any full-use car needs a towing capacity of at least 500lbs and hopefully 1000lbs. I'm not going to tow a racecar or a Roadster, just my furniture when I'm moving and other big items. So I completely agree. And looking at other EVs there's no reason the Model S shouldn't be able to take a light trailer.
hengeradi1a250.jpeg

Cobos

Towing capability and a (preferably removable) hitch is a necessity for me at least, a lack of this would be a complete deal-breaker for me as I'd have to keep the Touran (we are a one car family and I plan to never own two cars ever again, my e-bike replaced our second car a couple of years ago).

But 1000lbs :eek: That's pathetic and quite unusable for me at least. My current car, a 2005 VW Touran 2.0TDI have a tow rating of 3100 lbs, this would be at the very low end of what's desirable. I have actually towed 5800 lbs behind the Touran up a 2000 feet elevation change with no problems whatsoever.

A comparable car in size and power would be the BMW 5 or 7-series. The 5-series have a tow rating of 4400 lbs, the 7-series tows 4600 lbs. This is in the ballpark of what I think the Tesla Model S should also allow.

Also fastening points for a (original or Thule) roof rack would be very nice. Then I don't have to put the skis and snowboards inside the car :smile:

Also heating should definately be done by a reversible heat pump/AC unit, not resistor heating.

Adjustable "engine-breaking"

Being used to motorcycles and cars with manual transmissions, I hope the Model S exhibits the same deceleration aggression that the Roadster does.

However, because Tesla's appealing to mass-market customers with the S, my hopes for aggressive deceleration are low. Some people may prefer to roll freely when they take their foot off the throttle and rely on their squeezers to slow down. So my guess is Tesla will try to appeal to those used to driving automatics, but still retain enough regenerative braking to charge the batteries.

I have no clue how technologically feasible it would be, but it would be great if Tesla could expose a degree of adjustment in this area.

... I hope the Model S exhibits the same deceleration aggression that the Roadster does....

However, because Tesla's appealing to mass-market customers with the S, my hopes for aggressive deceleration are low. ...

I would like them to make it an adjustable option like the EBox. I would say to bury it in a bunch of user setup screens but I would really like to adjust it more on the fly depending on road conditions.

Maybe the buried setup activates a steering wheel adjuster. My Infiniti has a toggle on the wheel when you flick it up or down it changes the Cruise Control speed setting in one MPH increments. When you hold it up or down it jumps (at a regular pace) in 5 MPH increments.

Same scale type adjusting could be applied to "Levels of Regen"

Add me to the aggressive deceleration group. It just "feels right"

It more than "feels right," it makes it possible to be smooth. It's much harder to drive well when you have to operate 2 pedals for *any* deceleration. And heavy or not, I aims to carve the twisties in this monster!

I'd like to think it also allows EV drivers to recharge more. I'm sure that last point isn't as simple as I imagine it, though...

The whole debate over regen aggressiveness played out with early Roadster development. Thankfully the sports car fans used to engine braking and those that think strong regen aids efficiency and pad life won out over the "since I don't have to shift I expect it to coast" crowd.

I suspect that Tesla has studied this consideration at length and will push to have as much regen in the 'S' as they can get away with. Their design philosophy seems to emphasize sportiness. (Although I would have preferred to see BMW as a partner rather than Daimler to make this more assured.)

Many higher end luxury sedans have different driving modes. Perhaps a button with normal/sport which offers more regen in sport mode? Sport mode could reduce steering boost and tighten up the shocks (assuming they have electronic controls) as well.

Perhaps a button with normal/sport which offers more regen in sport mode? Sport mode could reduce steering boost and tighten up the shocks (assuming they have electronic controls) as well.

I dig it - all but the shocks part, anyway :) Solid all the time! But a "sport" mode for the regen would be a welcome user control.

I figure if I want to coast, that's what cruise control is for. Otherwise, I expect to always regulate the throttle. But that's my preference more than anything else...

The battery drain of the power steering is another issue, and there's a great delete method here (applies probably directly to the S since they'll be using an electric pump like the MR2). But the S's wheels are, like, huge-freakin'-mongus. Both in diameter and width. So a complete lack of power steering is probably undesirable under 5 or 10 MPH in the S...

I hate when I get excited again about the S, and remember it's still 2 years away :(

Yeah, those are going to be a bit of trouble when they needs replacing, 21 inch tires cost a fortune :(

I'm hoping they'll offer a more sensible 19 inch size for those who want it or need a bigger sidewall because of bad roads...

I think it is unlikely Tesla will be including those 21 inch Lorinser r8 wheels in the base model. Those cost like $1k each.

Most of the competing cars (starting in the ~$60k range) use much smaller wheels:
17"
BMW 550i
MBenz E550

18"
Audi A6 4.2
BMW 550i GT
MBenz CLS550

The whole debate over regen aggressiveness played out with early Roadster development. Thankfully the sports car fans used to engine braking and those that think strong regen aids efficiency and pad life won out over the "since I don't have to shift I expect it to coast" crowd....

Back then I got the impression the "no regen" or "light regen" came from wanting an electric car not too different from a regular car in the way it drives.
If that's the case, hopefully we (collective we) are over that now.

As much as I like heavy regen I also hate the brake lights coming on. I think about is constantly on the freeway and it is a constant, big irritating monkey on my back every mile.

I figure if I want to coast, that's what cruise control is for. Otherwise, I expect to always regulate the throttle. But that's my preference more than anything else...

Luckily the "want to coast" crowd is pretty tiny. It gains you nothing and is rarely needed vs regen.

The battery drain of the power steering is another issue, and there's a great delete method here (applies probably directly to the S since they'll be using an electric pump like the MR2). But the S's wheels are, like, huge-freakin'-mongus. Both in diameter and width. So a complete lack of power steering is probably undesirable under 5 or 10 MPH in the S...
(

I heard there is a possibility the power steering will be electric not hydraulic. Makes total sense in an EV. There have been other cars that have done it successfully and those units can simply be dropped in.

I picture these stranded Model S owners on the side of the road jumping up and down on their cars to charge the battery :)

I'd love to see the S with something like this or magnetic ride control shocks like the Corvette or Acura MDX.

BUT, actually I'd rather keep everything as simple as possible to minimize delays. A gorgeous yet practical 160-300mpc <6 second all electric sedan is feature enough.

Ken