Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another Model S feature wishlist

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Cobos

Model S owner since 2013
Supporting Member
Jun 22, 2007
Oslo, Norway
I thought I'd look at a few ICE premium cars and select the features and options that I want the Model S to have at least as an option. I'll admit my categorization isn't very well thought out.

Luxury and comfort features
*Nice non-leather seat option
*Modest wheels in size and looks
*UV and IR repellant windows
*Cornering headlights (headllights follow curves)
*Headlight washers
*Sunroof
*Lots of small extra lights, reading lights for backseat, inside compartments etc. LED lights only obviously
*Adaptive cruise control
*Folding and auto-dimming outside mirrors with memory feature
*Rear parking assist, camera or simply accoustic measure
*Auto-Dimming rear-view mirror
*Several small compartments in the trunk
*Grocery bag hooks and 12V outlets in the trunk
*Electrically telescoping and height adjusted steering wheel
*Heated seats and chilled/ventilated seats.
*Electrically adjusted seats with memory
*Factory mounted and removable towing head
*Oil/gasoline powered car-heater
*User adjustable suspension settings
*Multi-zone climate control
*Heated rear view and front windows
*ISOFIX child seat fixing points in rear
*Outside temperature measurement
*Decent sound system as standard
*Sun blinds for rear seats

Security features
*Remote locking
*Anti-theft warning system and immobiliser

Safety features
*Tire pressure monitor
*Blind spot monitor
*ABS and ESC/ESP
*Brake Assist
*Lane departure warning system
*IR camera

Of course I would like if they can offer this on the Model S, but it's pretty sure I can't afford that. But which if these features does people think should be in the basic package? Any features I've missed?

Cobos

i really like the plug in the trunk idea...

* I think with EVs, doing away with the cigarette lighter car charger idea entirely would be pretty cool. Just have actual outlets in the car that run off the battery.
* As I've said before, having some sort of solar power on the roof, etc. would seal the deal for me.

A lot of those features you mentioned sound pretty cool, but I'm not sure I would pay extra for them. A lot of mine are bordering on fantasy tho...:rolleyes:

* The Model S also better have a standard USB port not just some stupid iPod port. Not sure if this was mentioned somewhere?
* And a pet peeve of mine is when cars don't have a line-in for headphones (if your mom/gf/etc doesn't want to listen to your Yanni music blasting...). It's such a simple thing to add! *grr*
* A totally superfluous add-on, but totally doable in an EV would be some sort of cooler/warmer for coffee/food. I know.. battery draining, and I would personally never get it, but a cool(!) idea.
* A dream function of mine is some sort of collision detection technology which can calculate your acceleration and whether you would physically be able to stop in time, aiding you in pressing the breaks (is this even a real thing?)
* James Bond upgrade: some sort of infrared/night vision that helps you see all the aminals at night so you don't hit them. :smile::smile:
* XY/directional/rear/front speaker capability.
* Being able to close/open the foot vents as well (assuming conventional AC)
* auto window raising/lowering (for all windows)
* Rear windshield wipers
* Non-fogging windows!! (again...please tell me this a real thing!)
* A quiet and a loud horn
* Any cool custom sounds would be a geeky plus :biggrin:
* Totally customizable center display.. GUI, OS, firmware "hacks", etc. Could you play DVDs on it? (these things are usually better for the back seaters...)
* A sleepy-detector thing, that measures your eye-lid movements and can determine when you're about to fall asleep and wakes you up. (these things exist, but I don't think they come with cars)

Of course, I'm not implying any of these should be free with the base price!
Also, I REALLY hope they let you pick your options individually, and not give you "options packages" ...urg

Well two things that I really like on my current car are the windshield wipers that come on by themselves and adjust their speed by themselves. And the headlights that come on by themselves. I agree on the outlets. Why not just have AC outlets in the car. That would even allow you to vacuum the car from the car with no extention cord. I have an outlet in the back of my car and I thought it was a really cool idea to have but I have to say that I have never used it in 5 years. But good idea all the same. I think I would like to take the Park assist to the next level - have the car park itself. Both parallel and backing in. There is collision detection NOW and that should be standard IMHO as is IR night vision for animals and people as standard equipment. Sleep detector is available NOW and should also be standard. I think that MOST of these features are completely doable at this time without reinventing the wheel and I would even say that MOST of them should be standard - especially 2-3 years from now. One thing I like that I don't have now is mirrors that fold automatically when you park the car. Mine fold but are manual - sigh ....

Also I would love to see something similar to Volvo's city stop feature that stops the car before an accident. and expand it to the highway. If the car in front of you SLAMS ON THE BRAKES your car will stop at the same rate. My last collision was because of this and had I had this feature it would have avoided the accident. I could not react fast enough. Some would say I was following too closely instead - but it can't possibly be my fault :)

I see no need for a gas/oil heater. that is a no brainer !!!!!

I might add nothing on my list is science fiction all the stuff has been taken off a quick look at the Audi, Mercedes and BMW equipment list.

Rheazombi:
* A dream function of mine is some sort of collision detection technology which can calculate your acceleration and whether you would physically be able to stop in time, aiding you in pressing the breaks (is this even a real thing?)
- This exists, I beleive the new Volvos and the Lexus LS600 has this.

* auto window raising/lowering (for all windows)
* Rear windshield wipers
- Obviously an oversight on my part not to include that in the list

* James Bond upgrade: some sort of infrared/night vision that helps you see all the aminals at night so you don't hit them.
- BMW has had this on their old 7 series I beleive and the new Merc S series has this as well.

* A totally superfluous add-on, but totally doable in an EV would be some sort of cooler/warmer for coffee/food. I know.. battery draining, and I would personally never get it, but a cool(!) idea.
- This is actually pretty normal for one of the glove boxes, at least the cooling effect.

* A sleepy-detector thing, that measures your eye-lid movements and can determine when you're about to fall asleep and wakes you up. (these things exist, but I don't think they come with cars)
- Sure do, I beleive it was at least in the LS600 and possible newer Volvos as well

Kevin Harney:
Yes rain sensors are a must on modern cars, even basic Fords have that.

I skipped the full parking assist as I assume that would be very costly to develop, and with proper cameras even I who suck at parking I fail to see the need. A solution like VW has on their cars where the camera is hidden inside their logo and only pops up when you put it in reverse sounds actually very usefull as it will protect the lense from dirt.

Gas heater makes lots of sense for proper cold weather. You need a decent 2-3kW heater to really make a dent in cold weather. Considering the cost of the current Roadster battery where you almost pay $1 per kW in battery replacement costs you don't want to unecissarily put strain on the battery. Not to mention it drasticly reduces range. And a Webasto is like 90% efficient at turning fuel into heat. I agree that should be in a "winter package" which is usually only needed in cold markets. But it is important, with the heated windows and seats etc.

I realise you want the electric folding mirrors WITH memory together with a seat with memory. Then whenever you use your key the seats and steering wheel adjusts and the mirrors fold outwards. Now THAT is luxury in my book :)

Cobos

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/tesla-model-s-whitestar/376-whitestar-feature-requests.htmlOld Wishlist Thread
(Nightvision HUD was mentioned there)

Night_Vision.jpg

Reviews OnLine Auto: Technology Update of Cadillac's Night Vision
Cadillac Night Vision System KeyWords:(Thermoelectric Cooler TEC Peltier)

SP32-20050927-092720.jpg

At this point, I think TM has a big challenge just to get what they have already shown into production on time, so I hope they don't get sidetracked by too many bells and whistles. Perhaps something for a few years into production.

Last edited by a moderator:
Model S wishes

Having driven electric for several years, and remembering Elon's remark about this being the only car you'll need, I know there are times you need to use the car as a pickup. You gotta haul the old water heater to the dump. You need to pick up a tree at the nursery. YOU NEED A TRAILER and a hitch. I have a beautiful little aluminum trailer, class I, that does all these little jobbies wonderfully well. And even though my Prius and my RAV4EV both cautioned against towing, we did anyway. I haul my tandem bike, which is 10 feet long, on another lightweight trailer.
It would be better if the Tesla was actually engineered for towing light weight packages. Surely there's enough torque! The engineers can find the best frame points and even make the hitch receiver out of aluminum to keep weight down. Maybe make them like in Europe where they fold out of sight and don't affect the 5mph bumpers....

Having driven electric for several years, and remembering Elon's remark about this being the only car you'll need, I know there are times you need to use the car as a pickup. You gotta haul the old water heater to the dump. You need to pick up a tree at the nursery. YOU NEED A TRAILER and a hitch. I have a beautiful little aluminum trailer, class I, that does all these little jobbies wonderfully well. And even though my Prius and my RAV4EV both cautioned against towing, we did anyway. I haul my tandem bike, which is 10 feet long, on another lightweight trailer.
It would be better if the Tesla was actually engineered for towing light weight packages. Surely there's enough torque! The engineers can find the best frame points and even make the hitch receiver out of aluminum to keep weight down. Maybe make them like in Europe where they fold out of sight and don't affect the 5mph bumpers....
I might add I already mentioned this with this line:
*Factory mounted and removable towing head

Either foldaway or removable. And I agree any full-use car needs a towing capacity of at least 500lbs and hopefully 1000lbs. I'm not going to tow a racecar or a Roadster, just my furniture when I'm moving and other big items. So I completely agree. And looking at other EVs there's no reason the Model S shouldn't be able to take a light trailer.
hengeradi1a250.jpeg

Cobos

Yay! I'm glad to see my sordid car fantasies be proven true afterall :biggrin:

I agree that any add-on involving increased safety shouldn't be an add-on at all and should come standard with the car.

Many of the cars people mentioned having these features (standard or not) seemed to be higher end luxury cars, so I REALLY hope the Model S will go the same route.

Then again, if the Model S is 60K, I don't know if it's fair to compare it to 200K sedans... (not that I actually know the price of any cars), but I can dream can't I??:smile:

edit: I was also thinking that the collision detection really is a 100% MUST for the Model S, considering people's fears (unfounded or not) that EVs are so silent you won't hear them coming. I assume collision detection would apply to kids randomly running out into the middle of the road, as well as cars?? It would at least calm some people down. (This is the one reason my mom won't buy an EV yet... tho I'm trying to slowly convince her otherwise :smile:)

Last edited:
Turn on Defrost from the key fob while the car is off and parked/locked/alarmed.

Since the car knows the outside temperature and the power of its own heater, it would be nice if it can signal back to the key fob when the cabin is up to temperature and all windows/mirrors are clear.

If the owner is delayed then maybe the defrost can switch from full power down to a lower "holding pattern" to prevent the car icing up again.

Turn on Defrost from the key fob while the car is off and parked/locked/alarmed.

Since the car knows the outside temperature and the power of its own heater, it would be nice if it can signal back to the key fob when the cabin is up to temperature and all windows/mirrors are clear.

If the owner is delayed then maybe the defrost can switch from full power down to a lower "holding pattern" to prevent the car icing up again.

This would be esp. nice if it could be done while the car is still on the charger as well so it doesn't significantly deplete the battery.

This would be esp. nice if it could be done while the car is still on the charger as well so it doesn't significantly deplete the battery.

Yeah, that's another interesting idea. A bit like Tesla's "Storage" option on the VDS; the car could be set to maintain itself above freezing if it is being recharged out of doors or in a garage and the ambient temperature falls below a preset limit.

Maybe that happens anway since the battery does require active cooling on recharge - certainly at the higher currents. That heat from the battery has to go somewhere - why not use it?

But even when charging is finished, the car is still connected and could keep itself a few degrees above zero.

Of course an appropriate design of car cover (car-cozy?) for the mirrors and windows would consume less electric energy.

Mittens for mirrors?

Yeah, that's another interesting idea. A bit like Tesla's "Storage" option on the VDS; the car could be set to maintain itself above freezing if it is being recharged out of doors or in a garage and the ambient temperature falls below a preset limit.

Maybe that happens anway since the battery does require active cooling on recharge - certainly at the higher currents. That heat from the battery has to go somewhere - why not use it?

But even when charging is finished, the car is still connected and could keep itself a few degrees above zero.

Of course an appropriate design of car cover (car-cozy?) for the mirrors and windows would consume less electric energy.

Mittens for mirrors?
Taking it a step further...
Elon's already described the center console as a "built in laptop". Why not be able to program the car to use the plug-energy to turn on a heater in the car (and for the battery pack?) at a preset time...say 6:00 am if I leave around 7am in the morn. for work?

I would be darn nice to get in the car nicely pre-heated yet with a fully charged battery. Maintaining temp would require a lot less juice than bringing it up to temp.

I feel all my suggestions should be standard except for the upgraded key fob.

Optional Upgraded Long-range Key Fob
w/ audible and vibration-based alerts and LED indicator lights

-- The key fob would be able to communicate back to the driver using tones, vibrations and/or lights on the key fob.

Folding Keys
-- Keys that fold into the fob with push button release. (VW/Audi)

Push Button Start
-- When key fob is present in cabin, START is enabled. No key needs to be inserted.

Selective Unlocking.
-- Press unlock on the key fob to unlock and extend the driver's side door and handle.
-- Press unlock again to unlock and extend all doors and handles.

Auto Locking.
-- All doors are locked when key fob travels "x distance" away from car. Feature can be disabled with switch on driver's side.

Key Fob iPhone App
-- An application for the iPhone that can completely take the place of the *optional* upgraded key fob. And bring real time information to the driver about the car even while on vacation.

New Clean Layout for Infotainment.
-- More along the lines of an iPhone (see attached below)*

Beautiful Startup Tones.
-- Having the car greet you and welcome you to tesla
-- With the ability to be customized.

Auto Climate Key Fob Button
-- Press the climate button on the *optional* upgraded key fob to activate the cars auto climate mode which detects outside and inside cabin temperature, adjusts to your comfort and convenience level and sends a vibration and audible alert to the key fob when ready. (mentioned already but wanted to elaborate)

Favorites already mentioned:

Comfort & Convenience:
*Lots of small extra LED interior lights, reading lights, inside compartments etc.
*Power folding + auto-dimming side-view mirrors w/ memory.
*Auto Up/Down for all windows
*Standard home power outlets in trunk.

Safety & Security:
*Collision monitoring and assist.
*Blind spot + lane changing monitor.
*Anti-Snooze monitoring and assist.

*Click attachment below.

Attachments

• Tesla iControl Concept - Pg1.png
    Tesla iControl Concept - Pg1.png
    338.2 KB · Views: 149