Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another of my predictive polls: FSD will or will not be achieved with "vision only". VOTE NOW!

Do you believe Elon is telling the truth when he says FSD will be fully solved with Vision only?

• Yes, vision only is the way to solve the problem. NO lidar/radar needed. JUST Vision.

Votes: 64 37.9%
  • No. More than just vision technology will be needed to solve the problem.

Votes: 105 62.1%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Cameras have a number of limitations. These include performance in the dark and in very bright light, and the transition between the two (such as when a vehicle emerges from a dark tunnel on a bright sunny day); their performance when confronted with reflections; their inability to detect objects of a particular color against the same colored background; and crucially, they cannot measure depth directly and instead must infer it, often with much poorer range accuracy than lidar or radar.

With those limitations, Ii should be obvious that "vision-only" is not the smart approach to achieve safe and reliable driverless everywhere. And Tesla's hardware of only 8 1.2 MP cameras and a low end computer, will NOT achieve safe and reliable driverless everywhere. So yeah, Elon was full of BS when he claimed AP2 was "L5 capable".

Now, if the goal is a driver assist, vision-only is perfectly fine since you have a human driver as back-up if the system makes a mistake.

I think Tesla will get around this by keeping driver supervision for FSD. So Tesla will put out a driver assist that does "door to door" and requires driver supervision but they call it "Full Self-Driving" so they can technically say that they achieved FSD with vision-only. But it won't be what most people consider true FSD.

Source:

Last edited:
Reactions: jebinc
This is a dumb poll. FSD (robotaxi) will be solved with vision only. It's just not going to be solved with HW3. Now by the time it can be solved with vision only (50 years? who knows) we may have entirely new sensor technologies that we can't even imagine now that are even cheaper than cameras. So maybe no one will actually do it for any reason other than a science experiment. :p

Vision only or lidar or radar all require a current knowledge of speed limits to be functional. Unposted speed limits in rural areas are far from accurate and Tesla offers no mechanism to correct it. After a recent long conversation with Tesla Service, they claim that the speed data comes from municipalities, and if incorrect, the burden is on us to get it corrected. They offer no help with this. They can’t even tell us who to contact. Without accurate speed limits, none of this works, regardless of the sensors. Bad maps = no ADAS.

Lets put this to the test and see how many people STILL fall for Elon's tall tales. Like I accurately predicted Karpathy would NOT return, putting it in writing here: FSD will NOT be solved with just vision.
Not many. FSD is a scam that stole $12k from many. EAP is more accurate. Still over-priced, but does what is promised. Not selling a false promise. Malicious or otherwise (FSD false promises).

This is a dumb poll. FSD (robotaxi) will be solved with vision only. It's just not going to be solved with HW3. Now by the time it can be solved with vision only (50 years? who knows) we may have entirely new sensor technologies that we can't even imagine now that are even cheaper than cameras. So maybe no one will actually do it for any reason other than a science experiment. :p
This translates to "I believe Elon is lying (again). Just for other reasons".

Which essentially qualifies as a "no" vote. Feel free to voice your vote!

Whats clear so far in the poll? NO one on TMC believes Elon's claims of "current hardware and vision only will = robotaxi level capabilities".

You guys have no faith in the leader! 🤣

Last edited:
The problem with this poll is "will be solved." Most people, even the ardent LIDAR fans, will say that some day it should be possible to solve it with vision only. But that's not the problem before anybody. The problem is the quickest way to solving it in a commercial product. And almost everybody but Tesla believes that vision is not the quickest path.

Vision only or lidar or radar all require a current knowledge of speed limits to be functional. Unposted speed limits in rural areas are far from accurate and Tesla offers no mechanism to correct it. After a recent long conversation with Tesla Service, they claim that the speed data comes from municipalities, and if incorrect, the burden is on us to get it corrected. They offer no help with this. They can’t even tell us who to contact. Without accurate speed limits, none of this works, regardless of the sensors. Bad maps = no ADAS.
Lidar/radar doesn't read speed limit signs like a human can, but a camera should be able to easily. In California, an unposted speed limit means use the "basic speed law" which currently is 55mph or safe for conditions (fog/rain etc). Lacking any other valid source, the driver would have to input it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2101Guy
My question is why vision only? If I can add in 2 side radars and a front 3D radar for $250 per car, then that can only make it even better than vision only. That’s assuming that you don’t believe Elon and think that the AI can be developed to fuse the different sensor data (like it already does in many other implementations).

Reactions: S4WRXTTCS
My question is why vision only? If I can add in 2 side radars and a front 3D radar for $250 per car, then that can only make it even better than vision only. That’s assuming that you don’t believe Elon and think that the AI can be developed to fuse the different sensor data (like it already does in many other implementations).

1. Because it was cheaper and not economical at that time to add expensive sensors to the car that was already costly to produce and difficult to make.
2. They have sold cars with promises of L5 autonomy using vision only because it is a very compelling selling point as most on this forum can attest to
3. A big part of Tesla valuation is based on that as well.

Now they are just trying to make it work. The CEO underestimated how monumental a task they are trying to solve and overestimated their capability to make progress and deliver on the promise and product that was sold.

In theory, fusing multiple sensors is better but if you have inadequate sensor coverage, a sensor package that was not designed for ADS and you generally don't know how to fuse the sensors properly then it just won't work out. Sensor fusion is currently the only way to deploy a safe L4 ADS because vision alone has certain limitations and risks that no car maker is willing to take. Especially at L3 - L5 which means you take responsibility if anything goes wrong.

You had me at “believe Elon…” 🤣

• Funny
Reactions: cwerdna and 2101Guy