Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another rejected model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Surely we've got to accept better? If we kept accepting built standards lower than the rest of the car industry, then they would have no incentive to improve. Believe me, they will have to once the big boys catch up with the battery tech. Then why would anyone go for a badly built car?

They get away with it because there really is no competition. Eventually, other car makers will catch up and then Tesla will focus more on Q.C. Could be another couple years before that!

What this was a return??? This seems fine to me... The one I took home had more things wrong then that, obviously nothing too bad. But really, my Honda CRV first year model was worse then what you just showed. I don't think anything there I would consider rejection material, not by a long shot. Not major paint issues, the little gaps around the trim seemed fine to me, probably could be adjusted some if needed. And did you show a clip missing?? Seriously, reject on a clip? Just ask them for one lol.

Last edited:
Why you guys so lenient on Tesla? Many flaws on OP's pictures are outrageous! I wonder whether they have any human quality control..
You can find better fit and finish on a used car. Good for the OP for rejecting.

The lack of regard for quality fit and finish is consistent with Tesla’s ethos and aspirations of the future of personal car ownership- or lack of thereof imo. Would you reject a taxis or Uber? No. Would you reject a long term rental that had these issues? Probably not. In a rental you want performance, reliability, and maybe some style.

Tesla not investing in getting immaculate fit and finish like the German’s, or really any legacy brand, based on last century’s relationship with cars makes some sense.

But even investors of rental fleets want to avoid build quality issues that can lead to future expenses. Missing components, poor sealing and paint, misalignment so poor it interferes with functionality suggest more than paramagnetism and forward looking objectives. It’s poor work and arguably corporate greed, passing the costs of basic Q&A to the consumer that has no leverage.

We're getting ready for delivery on a MY.... I'm watching threads like this for things to look for. So if you find something, will they fix it on the spot or send a ranger? When I picked up my M3LR, I noticed on the way home that the steering wheel wasn't straight. Since we live 2 hours from Matthews NC service center, I figured the next time I was thru town, I'd bring it to them. The service manager wanted to bill me for alignment but finally relented and did it under good will. I want to avoid that again... but I'd hate to reject the car for something that's fixable.... as long as it gets fixed.

People being super picky about panel fittments on a Tesla are often missing the entire point about the goodness of their vehicles.

High expectations usually result in big disappointments.

Those issues look to be more buyer Ego issues than things that will effect the functionality of the vehicle.
Buyer ego? You seem to be projecting there.

The complaints in the OP were not a misalignment of expectations when purchasing a new 60k car from a brilliant company. The issues were not a function of novel engineering or methods. It’s carelessness and negligence of quality control, but likely also a good business decision if limited to cosmetics. Tesla benefits by getting cars of the line ASAP, and with little product demand implications as the leading EV manufacture with a faithful consumer base.

I’d like to justify it as Tesla putting all their focus on more worthwhile tasks. The mindset needed to allow such easily correctable issues is often hard to contain to just having positive externalities.

• Disagree
Reactions: Neilio and OZKM3
@shpatel it’s a good thing you rejected this car. There are notable paint spray defects; though not as bad as mine, it will require a respray at least on that whole rear hatch and rear driver fender, and blending others. I was naive believing Service would be able to rectify the paint issues that would result in like-new condition and the experience has been a nightmare.

Would have been nice to have taken more pictures of the car from several feet away to prove your point to persuade some on this thread.

Here’s your picture edited on Photos app with Dramatic Warm setting to show the bad splotchiness.

DB3F9E55-0F5E-4ECC-A97D-1C08DB459219.jpeg

For Tesla standards, it's not terrible... But guys, none of this is acceptable.. It's a BRAND NEW 60k+ Car! No one should just be ok with these flaws from Tesla or any other car company. If these issues are ignored then they will never be forced to improve and continue to have little, or none existent quality control.

what other car company offers a compact electric SUV with 300+ miles of range and 0-60 better than a Porsche ? anyone?

Reactions: Futuresystem
some of us can easily see the splotchy paint, and we know it's caused by thin areas of paint which allow the e-coat to show through.

others look at the pictures and say it looks fine to them

There are many owners out there perfectly happy with their poorly painted MYs. Some are oblivious to the paint flaws while others are forgiving and just don't care enough to make an issue of it, so they live with the poor paint quality happily.

The people who say "give Tesla a chance to fix it, or take some light rubbing compound to it" don't understand this can't be fixed without repainting the car. There have been a couple of cases of Tesla paying to have the car repainted, but more owners are being told the paint is "within spec" so the owner is left with a crap paint job that he/she will probably never "UN-SEE" whenever they walk up to their car.

Gundarx should be an example to every soon-to-be owner reading this forum. He is having to pay out of pocket to get his MY "fixed" because Tesla won't step up and admit the splotchy paint defect on his car. I'm sure if Gundarx knew of this taking delivery or before his return window expired he would have dumped his particular car in a heartbeat.

Can you perhaps circle the problem areas? I can't seem to find them. Is it in the shadow area?

Sidebar: Does anyone know if Teslas' paint are sprayed by hand or robots?

it’s not an even coat, it’s like coffee with milk that isn’t mixed well yet.. i’m afraid if you add annotations to the photo, you’ll lose sight of the defects.. instead study these:

car I saw recently (not mine)
Production dates/VINs for missing blue paint?

mine: Tesla Paint

paint shop in Fremont is done robotically as repeatedly stated by my service advisor, as if that was a valid excuse for letting lack of QC be acceptable for delivery of these cars

People being super picky about panel fittments on a Tesla are often missing the entire point about the goodness of their vehicles.

High expectations usually result in big disappointments.

Those issues look to be more buyer Ego issues than things that will effect the functionality of the vehicle.

This is the same car you said, in another post, people aspire to own? People aspire to own visually defective cars? With misaligned panels and ecoat showing through the top coat?

9B911FE1-39AC-4023-B0D8-77EE2ED1D3C9.jpeg

Tesla has been manufacturing cars for a while.

Should growing pains be an excuse this point? Maybe those pesky 'humans', being forced back to the factory during a pandemic, are not taking much 'pride' in their work.

Better quality from the China factory?

Reactions: NY_Rob
The Chinese can build a great product, or they can assemble a shitty product. It will come down to the company demands. If Elon continues to demand production volume over quality, then they'll have poorly assembled and painted Teslas in China too.

Elon's email:

"For many reasons, a great deal of Tesla execution worldwide is packed into the final week of the quarter. It is very important that we go all out through end of June 30 to ensure a good outcome. Wouldn’t bring this up if not very important."

and

"While our demand is strong, we have a lot of vehicle deliveries to catch up to in order to have a successful quarter," Musk wrote in the mail. "Per my earlier email, if we execute well, Q2 will be an all-time record for Tesla vehicle deliveries and an awesome victory!!"

What does this email tell everyone? I see it as: crank out as many cars as you can so we can impress investors. I believe Musk is all about exceeding Wall Street exceptions so he can get into the S&P and get his bonuses. Where is he demanding higher quality cars?

oh wait, here's another email:

“It is extremely important for us to speed up the production of Model Y and minimize the need for rectification."

The minimize need for rectification is an afterthought!

"In March 2018, Tesla’s board approved an unprecedented compensation package that would pay Musk $56 billion worth of stock options over the course of ten years, on the condition that he meets a set of lofty performance and operational goals, including growing Tesla’s market value to $650 billion by 2028 at a steady pace of a $50 billion increase every 10 months."

Elon got 750 million in stock for his first quarter performance. Doesn't matter how much money one has, one always seems to want more. And I think Elon is drunk on all of his "money" right now, quality of product be damned.

anyway, enough ranting for now. Elon has been good for the auto industry because he's forced legacy car makers to get into the EV game seriously. But that doesn't take away from what appears to me to be a lack of company priority to actually produce a high quality product. It's more about volume than quality at this point in the Tesla game. All my opinion....