TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Another Tesla Screw-up? (Three-position dynamic LED Turning Light)

Discussion in 'Model X' started by ab26, Sep 20, 2017.

Tags:
  1. pkodali

pkodali Member

If you don't mind, could you pm me the exact wording you used? Not great at this stuff

2. djcasava

djcasava Member

I am expected to receive my adaptive headlight install on MLK day. I initially escalated situation to HQ. They responded/emailed back to me with an apology and to work with the local SC to fix the situation. I forwarded said email to SC and they agreed to fix but they had to wait on a harness kit. So looking forward to my MS getting its adaptive lights as marketed by Tesla. Will post pictures.

3. NHK X

NHK X Laus Deo

Hmm interesting, didn't know that so many others have had this issue. Thought it was just me. My Mx rolled off the assembly line 28 AUG, thought it would include the adaptive lights as well as the tow package (I ordered non-PUP) as it was advertised on the website as standard (new changes prior to order).

I reached out and recently got an email stating that they would retrofit the adaptive headlights given the discrepancy, as I still have the interior lighting/LED fogs that go along with the updated model standard model.

I also reached out about the tow package as it is part of the same advertised non-PUP package. Was pretty disappointed that it didn't get included as well, given the timing of the assembly process, although it had been on the website for a while before. Has anyone else here been able to get the tow hitch retrofitted given it's a similar discrepancy?

4. James*

James* Member

I had mine installed yesterday. They waited around 30 minutes after the install for an engineer to try to push the config change. But no one was available, so I had to drive it home. Later that day they remotely pushed the config change. I verified my car had the setting now. I put the car in drive, moved the wheel left and right, nothing. I rebooted the MCU, repeated test, nothing. I shut down the entire car for 5 minutes, repeated test, nothing. I called the service center and they claimed that the car must be moving at least 19-23 mph for them to turn on (?!?!!??), and said I should check on some roads at night to make sure, and that they would have some people working on the weekend in case it wasn't working.

I noticed this post after I verified they still aren't working even at speed, so I had to wait until today to contact them. I brought it by today with this information about the body control module needing updated. The lead tech checked it and said everything looks good to him -- the service advisor told me once again that, according to his knowledge, the latest firmware requires you to be at speed, and that it should push changes to the body control module, so everything should be working. I just tested it again and it's not working.... UGH.

Can anyone verify that indeed the adaptive lights turn on while just in drive, sitting still, with the latest firmware?

5. hulk2k17

hulk2k17 Member

Confirmed. I'm on 50.2 and had my lights retrofitted. I added more details in the reply in the Model S thread.

6. Cirrus MS100D

Cirrus MS100D Member

Can only confirm on a summer 2017 built Model S that when I'm backing out of my garage at night and turn around in my driveway, the sides that I'm turning towards light up, even if I'm not moving. Like the Bjorn video in his X, you can be stopped by the side of the road and turning the steering wheel full lock left and full lock right will illuminate to the sides. Again, it's not dramatic and not "amazing," but it does work (and has always worked) when stopped on our car when we first picked it up on .42 and now on 50.3

7. MikeInFL

MikeInFL Member

Had a 65k VIN 100D loaner on Friday (Model X) and the lights come on while turning out of a driveway at less than 5 MPH. Operating on the latest firmware too.

8. James*

James* Member

Thanks everyone. I'll pass on to the service center that they are clearly mistaken.

9. vandacca

vandacca ReActive Member

I've noticed on mine that when I signal left, the left-side illuminates. Same with signalling right, the right-side illuminates. No need to turn the steering wheel.

10. James*

James* Member

They're going to take a look at it on Thursday.

11. speedy

speedy Member

Since I actually have a Model S and this is in the X forum, here is the link to my successful retrofit in the sister thread...

Fully working retro-fitted 3 LED headlights

12. James*

James* Member

Service looked at it again and although the gateway sees the car as properly configured, the body control module still needs to be manually configured for it to work after the retrofit (as was done for @hulk2k17 ). The service center said there was no bulletin they could work off, so they are writing their own to put out there for other service centers.

When you get your retrofit done, they will need to physically install the lights (obviously), wait for an engineer from California to change the configuration of your car remotely. If there's not an engineer available at the time of your service, you can have it done remotely while the car is sitting around. Finally, the body control module needs to be manually reconfigured (do not let them tell you that it LOOKS okay, it is misleading). It is unknown to me whether this can be done before the config (I suspect not?). So, if you don't want to make two trips to the service center, you probably will want to ask for a loaner.

13. hulk2k17

hulk2k17 Member

The team at the Dallas SC seemed to have the right function on hand because the service manager knew exactly what to tell his tech to run and I was out of there in 10 minutes with working lights.

14. MikeInFL

MikeInFL Member

If the executive team is reading this I had delivery at the end of Q3 2017 and I’m still without lights. Service Center states that have several customers with the same issue as me and there is a Service Bulletin coming out to correct the issue... This is the same response when I got when I took delivery. So when are we getting our lights retrofitted?

15. sumitkgarg

sumitkgarg Member

I had my lights replaced at the Palo Alto SC in early December for the same issue. There was an issue with the replacement, so Tesla replaced them again at the Fremont SC. It was a pain to get them enabled in the Controls and get them working as expected but the replacement process was fairly straight forward.

16. viper2ko

viper2ko Member

I'm 4 months and counting since delivery and still no lights either. My SC said the same thing, they are "waiting for Tesla to send the parts but have no idea when they will come"

17. HugoBoss

HugoBoss Member

I just dropped my X for some issues to be looked at. I was told Tesla knows about it and they are waiting for parts. They are basically prioritizing new builds. And will let owners know when parts are available.

I think their priorities right now are with model 3 ramp up.

18. Thalys

Thalys New Member

I also took delivery on 9/2017 and lacking Adaptive Headlight. The last communication on 10/9/2017 I received stated that my MS75 is eligible for complementary retrofit and being planned for install but I am yet to see the end result. Has anyone got retrofit done in Dallas SC yet?

The below is the email snippet:

"I have reviewed this for you and can confirm that your vehicle is eligible for the adaptive headlight option. In order to make that happen we need to involve your local service center who would be coordinating the parts needed a scheduling a time to perform the work. I have started that process on your behalf, but this is dependent on the availability of parts. Once everything falls into place the service center will reach out to coordinate the next steps with you. In the meantime if you have any other questions or further concerns please feel free to reach me directly at [email protected]."

19. pkodali

pkodali Member

Just got mine swapped out. Make sure you check in the settings that the option is there. My dad didnt have it and basically ended up showing them the TMC post on how to enable the settings. Took them 15 minutes to do that.

20. viper2ko

viper2ko Member

Which SC did you use? My SC says they are waiting for a bulletin from Tesla on how to replace it