Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another Tesla Screw-up? (Three-position dynamic LED Turning Light)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My non PUP came with the base headlights. Going to speak w/ DS.

Attachments

• 2E32F453-38B5-4927-9FDD-285B4E500D4F.jpeg
    2E32F453-38B5-4927-9FDD-285B4E500D4F.jpeg
    390.4 KB · Views: 172
  • Informative
Reactions: AnxietyRanger
I’m almost positive it was one combined PUP package but I’m not sure how to be sure. The Elektric article said this changed in late July!

I do have the fog lights and ambient lights. I see them in the UI.
My order was August 6, confirmed August 9, and as was said, the PUP was already the combined unit with the new ‘no ala carte’ options for a while (including upgraded stereo, Subzero, etc.).

Pretty sure a week earlier it was the same!

My non PUP came with the base headlights. Going to speak w/ DS.

I think you Model X folks may have a strong case. I had access to a Model X with the PUP option this weekend, and was able to examine the headlights and fog lights. The adaptive LEDs in the headlamp assembly (A1, A2, A3) DO indeed turn on one at a time as you turn the wheel more, until all three are lit. So 3-position may indeed refer to the 3 LEDs. Also, the fog light assembly DOES NOT have any additional light that turns on with the steering, unlike the Model S fog lights. So, you X folks have a case because the recent non PUP cars without the adaptive headlight assembly have NO turning lights of any kind from what I can see. And the web site features clearly state that the "Three-position DYNAMIC LED turning lights" are now standard, so where is it?

Ok, so if you X folks were really supposed to get the real adaptive LEDs as stated in the standard features, then so should the S folks, even though we have a weak LED in the fog light assembly. The same description is used on both models for this feature and if the X folks are supposed to get full adaptive, then so should the S folks.

Lets see what develops this week....

Reactions: ab26
My VIN is super close to yours. Im 654XX w/ no PUP.
I have the same VIN series (confirmed 9th of august), also no PUP. Seeing that you got the base headlights does make me worry about mine, although mine has not been built yet (or was maybe built during the weekend) there might still be hope. Unfortunately delivery is still a couple of months away for me.

Hmmm...
Have you 'veteran owners/posters' come up with a term or acronym that describes the Post-Purchase-Depression that occurs when a new owner realizes all of the features they thought they'd have and now discovered what they actually didn't get?
I've had my inventory S75D for only four days and already I *THINK* that I didn't get:
- Adaptive Headlights
- Uncorked
- AEB (currently disabled)
- Air Suspension (Although Tesla confirmed that my car was produced prior to the included option and I decide to proceed anyway)
- Who knows what else? My VIN is a 201xxx series. Will that help me to figure out what I *actually* have?

Lastly, off topic a bit, but is there a glossary post of all the terms?? I admit it, what is a "PUP"??

I'm sure many folks have already read this elsewhere and this is *not* to detract from that sour feeling about not getting something you believe you should have rightfully gotten, but just to restate, the 3 way dynamic LED lighting in the Model S isn't anything to write home about and you're not going to miss it. In other words, if I were in your boat and Tesla were to offer some sort of "in-kind" treatment vs. retrofitting the headlights, I (personally) would take the "in-kind" offer.

Hmmm...
Have you 'veteran owners/posters' come up with a term or acronym that describes the Post-Purchase-Depression that occurs when a new owner realizes all of the features they thought they'd have and now discovered what they actually didn't get?
I've had my inventory S75D for only four days and already I *THINK* that I didn't get:
- Adaptive Headlights
- Uncorked
- AEB (currently disabled)
- Air Suspension (Although Tesla confirmed that my car was produced prior to the included option and I decide to proceed anyway)
- Who knows what else? My VIN is a 201xxx series. Will that help me to figure out what I *actually* have?

Lastly, off topic a bit, but is there a glossary post of all the terms?? I admit it, what is a "PUP"??

We are getting off topic a bit, but I wouldn't get worked up over your list. You said you knew your car wouldn't have Smart Air Suspension (SAS), which means it was built before the July 22 options repackaging. The adaptive headlights were only omitted from non-PUP cars built after July 22. If you have a pre-July 22 car you needed to get the PUP to have adaptive headlights--and if you have the PUP, you have the adaptive headlights. As for uncorking and AEB, are you sure you don't have those? Tesla was supposedly uncorking all inventory cars that were capable of being uncorked. And the AEB being temporary disabled was associated with post-July 22 cars that have the "AP 2.5 hardware" because Tesla changed radar vendors and needs to validate the new system before enabling AEB. If your car is pre-July 22, then AEB shouldn't be disabled. Also, I believe that anyone who has a car which has AEB temporarily disabled gets an email indicating as such, and it sounds like you didn't get such an email.

I had the same issue when I picked up my MX on Friday(9/30). I checked with my DS and he insisted that the turning headlights were only available with PUP so after I showed him the MX custom order page he went it to check with his team and came back and told me this.
" You were correct, but Tesla hasn't been including these. At this point we don't know what the fix is. We noted your car as the one which should have come with these turning headlights so after we have a resolution we will let you know."

@kaypay, excellent summary for a newbie like me! Thank you.
Let's see... Well, I have PUP. I paid for it, and the sticker says I have it. I also have the "Adaptive Headlights" setting in the UI. However, I see absolutely nothing happening (headlight-wise) when making a left or right turn from one road to another while driving at night. So, yes, perhaps this is a bogus feature, not worth getting all worked up about.

No, I didn't get an email about AEB being disabled. However, I have no way to really know that it is on and working do I? Well, short of driving into a brickwall that is. No... I won't be doing that! lol

I'm also assured that I have AP2.0 I was aware of that before making the purchase decision. I'm fine with that - until all of us find out that we need AP2.5 to get FSD. In which case I would assume Tesla would do the upgrade when we buy FSD. Of course I'm speculating way being my area here :)

I've read on this forum that I can confirm being uncorked by looking at the power draw when putting the pedal to the floor? Basically, I'm looking for a certain amount of kwh or more to be indicated??

Oh... one last silly question.. Since you are all so helpful.. I have "2017.34 2448cfc" Is that what I *should* have? Is there a way to confirm that I have the latest? Some "check for updates" style feature or some online resource that indicates what the latest is??

Thanks again!
Learning, learning learning...

This thread is in the Model-X sub-forum. All Model X come with the Smart Air Suspension.
AEB and uncorked should eventually be made available to all Model X owners via an OTA update.
So you shouldn't concern yourself with the above. The headlights is a different matter since it's a hardware change.

This thread is in the Model-X sub-forum. All Model X come with the Smart Air Suspension.
AEB and uncorked should eventually be made available to all Model X owners via an OTA update.
So you shouldn't concern yourself with the above. The headlights is a different matter since it's a hardware change.
uncork will be made available? Is that official?

@kaypay, Oh... one last silly question.. Since you are all so helpful.. I have "2017.34 2448cfc" Is that what I *should* have? Is there a way to confirm that I have the latest? Some "check for updates" style feature or some online resource that indicates what the latest is??

17.34 is pretty recent (a month or so ago). 17.38 is the absolute most recent (been out for about a week). See Tesla Firmware Upgrade Tracker Web App for details. I got it today for some reason, some people wait for weeks or more for the 'current' release. There's no rhyme or reason; being on wifi at home may help. Being at the Service Center on a workorder will do it (they usually load the current version).

There is no way to force a download, but you can tell what you don't have on ev-fw. :D

@kaypay However, I see absolutely nothing happening (headlight-wise) when making a left or right turn from one road to another while driving at night.

If you try it in your driveway or garage, while in D, you can see the top row of LEDs in your headlamp assembly light up sequentially as you turn the steering wheel. They are angled towards the side, so progressively light up more of the corner as you turn. Having said that, they are not exceedingly bright so you might not notice in normal driving..

uncork will be made available? Is that official?
By "uncorked" I assume we are all referring to the launch model limitations imposed by Tesla to "protect" the power train. If so, then it was discussed at the last quarterly call (if memory serves) that Tesla will be removing that "safety" feature. I assumed that they had already done it, but since I don't do use Launch mode very often and I didn't pay for Ludicrous, it doesn't really affect me so I haven't bothered to verify.

I have non PUP and I don't have the Dynamic LED's either. Took delivery last week. There is no good reasoning that Tesla could give me that explain why I don't have these LEDs. There is no way that these LED s are part of the fog light. If any SC staff say this, it's a bad attempt to reason it out. These lights are standard. I had a Model X in the past that had adaptive lights. If you believe these were only included in the PUP then it definitely would have stated in the PUP details. I don't see it anywhere in the PUP details, but they did put it on the standard specs. Think about it, why wouldn't Tesla advertise the PUP includes these DYnamic LEDs if they want people to buy the PUP?? There's no mentioning of adaptive lighting/dynamic LEDs turning lights whatsoever in the PUP description. I am hitting them up for mine. This is a ridiculous mistake and a good example of lack of communication between marketing, production, and post purchase service. So yes, Tesla screwed up again!
BTW, I just found out that I didnt have adaptive lighting/dynamic LEDs tonight on my own and search online for info. Thanks for sharing.