Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any hack to remove the autopilot nag?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
lol you're a joke
I hit you from behind and your cameras catch my steering wheel huh?
lol hilarious

you really think there will be an incident where I crash into you using a hack?
but that's the craziness you trying to push to this thread, like something like that would happen
I mean of course it could, but you could get by lightning twice tomorrow as well...

Here come the personal insults. I knew that was coming. They don't bother me at all.

Hacks are totally irresponsible. If you can't see that.....there is nothing I can do for you.

I hope no one gets killed using any of you guys hacks.

The only cameras I have are Tesla's?

Vehicular homicide - Wikipedia

Everyone here. Please consider that regular driving is fun and looks very easy when everyone is going the same speed.

However consider that 70mph is traveling over 100 feet per second and is just not worth playing with.

Hacks are negligent and could very well end up in situations that harm others. Even if you don't care about yourself....consider others.

and for what?

That's actually a good point. If I walk away with one useful thing from this thread is that if a Tesla ever hits me, the first thing I'll do is go take a picture of his/her steering wheel.

Its absolutely a shame that you would have to, but these are the times we live in. As you can see.

lol all I can do is laugh at you 2 guys
you do know the hack is NOT super glued to the steering wheel right?
people will just take them off
and when its off, you have to PROVE it was at the time of the accident, not just that the device is in the car
although just because you're in an accident doesn't mean you can do a full search of the other persons car to see where they hid it at
this is all just laughable

I mean do yall even know how accidents work? all you have to be is at fault. like if they ran a stop sign, ran a red light, etc. it doesn't matter if they were texting or driving or using a hack, they were at fault, so you'd win any insurance case anyway, because they at fault because they ran a light. You don't have to investigate WHY they ran the red light,smh

Absolutely I am serious.

Why in Gods name would I use a hack. For what? What in the world would I gain?

Be negligent in my eyes and hit me? Court will be in session. Guilty on all accounts.

Time for sentencing.
For someone so confident and defensive about “FSD” you sure aren’t showing much confidence in the system. Which is it because you can’t have it both ways.

lol all I can do is laugh at you 2 guys
you do know the hack is NOT super glued to the steering wheel right?
people will just take them off
and when its off, you have to PROVE it was at the time of the accident, not just that the device is in the car
although just because you're in an accident doesn't mean you can do a full search of the other persons car to see where they hid it at
this is all just laughable

I mean do yall even know how accidents work? all you have to be is at fault. like if they ran a stop sign, ran a red light, etc. it doesn't matter if they were texting or driving or using a hack, they were at fault, so you'd win any insurance case anyway, because they at fault because they ran a light. You don't have to investigate WHY they ran the red light,smh

what a shame.

Hack away.

Now you're playing silly word games

No, you're just using words incorrectly...again...and someone is pointing that out.

It's important when trying to explain something that there's a mutual understanding of the terms used.

Otherwise everyone is just wasting their time.

So if on AP a car plows into the back of another car, you don't call that "failing"?

No, because it's a known limitation of the system.

If the system doesn't stop at a red light- is that a "failure"?

No- it's just something the system is known not to be able to reliably handle and isn't expected to

As I cited to you- directly from the owners manual in 2 different places.

But regardless of if you understand what "fail" means or not- I thus gave you many many examples of where the hack will kill people if they either fall asleep without the nags or have a medical emergency where they lose consciousness because without the nags the car will keep going... right into a parked on the shoulder vehicle (as it as in real life- multiple times).... or into live cross-traffic, pedestrians, or bikes if used off of highway because it doesn't stop for lights or stop signs.

Maybe address that instead of wasting time with your "word game" deflections?

You telling me on AP its designed to plow into the back of stopped cars?

No, I'm telling you it's not designed to avoid it in specific cases.

And the owners manual, explicitly, tells you that multiple times.

Maybe give that a read? Lots of interesting stuff in there.

That's why the driver must be there

To handle the limitations of the system.

Like being incapable of reliably avoiding stopped objects, especially ones only partly in the lane, or facing a different direction.

Or being incapable of slowing or stopping, at all, to lights or stop signs.

If its not, then I call it a fail, but you want to play word games so you can appear right about everything.

You can call it a potato if you want- doesn't make you any less incorrect.

And doesn't someone who crashed into a truck and died because of it and bypassing the safety system that could avoid it any less dead.

I'm not sure how you want to blame tesla about a hack that can kill you if you have a seizure when most cars don't have AP and would have a 99% chance crashing and having bodily harm

This is called moving the goalposts.

You've realized you're wrong, and the hack is objectively dangerous compared to not using it.

So you're trying to move the goalposts from 'the hack is not dangerous' to 'the hack is less dangerous than not even HAVING autopilot!'

Which is both irrelevant and a really bad attempt at a common rhetorical bit of BS.

I award you no points.

People use AP everyday, hundreds of thousands, and they are not plowing into the back of vehicles.

I mean- except for the many cases where they are.

This is a known limitation of radar based systems

Tesla hits parked California police vehicle; driver blames 'Autopilot'

NHTSA Investigating Fatal Crash Where Tesla Hit Fire Truck

Tesla Driver Was on Autopilot Eating a Bagel and Hit a Fire Truck

Tesla Model 3 crashes into parked truck and catches fire

Why Tesla's Autopilot Can't See a Stopped Firetruck

This, of course, is not always correct in a court case OR insurance case.

In a court case there's typically one of 3 different standards used to determine liability in accidents.

Which standard is used depends on the state you're in.

In some, if you did ANYTHING wrong, you can't collect damages. At all.

If you were texting while driving (illegal in most states) and someone ran a red light and hit you, you've BOTH done something wrong. You can't sue them for damages because you're at least partly at fault.

That is called contributory negligence.

Then there's comparative negligence- where the jury might decide you texting and not paying attention was 20% responsible and the other guy 80%- so your award is reduced by 20%.

Some states use a mixed system, where your award can only be reduced if you're more than 50% responsible for your own injuries (say you were texting, not wearing a seatbelt, and you had a nag-defeat on the FRONT of the wheel- and your injuries were primarily from the airbag doing off and smacking the weight into you for example... even though the guy hitting you "caused" the accident the injuries are mostly YOUR fault)

That's court damages in civil cases.

For insurance- again, depends on the state.

In some there's no fault assigned to anyone and YOUR insurance pays for YOU no matter what happened.

So basically there's someone who doesn't know how accidents work...and it's you.

(even funnier since your sig says Virginia- which is one of the states that uses Contributory Negligence- and you seem unaware of this)

For someone so confident and defensive about “FSD” you sure aren’t showing much confidence in the system. Which is it because you can’t have it both ways.

Have you been listening?

FSD is fantastic. Its great. I have FULL confidence in the beta version so far.

But its not great during a blowout. <----- neither are most humans.
But its not great when a deer jumps out 150 feet from the car. <------ neither are most humans.
As a matter of fact...it disengages during those scenarios. <--------- just like most humans.

BTW....whenever I have cake....I usually eat it.

Regarding the OP's original question all rants not withstanding, and I NEVER do this but certain .5 liter water bottles can be slightly emptied and will wedge on the left side of the steering wheel in the MS. It is said that this will work indefinitely on long interstate drives and falls harmlessly upon driver intervention but I would not know. I never do it.

The sensitivity of the system varies with different firmware versions, and apparently from car to car. I'm not the only person who's puzzled at how the car decides to nag, un-nag, or drop AP.

I drove 10 miles on the 101S freeway late last night, little traffic, with curves and NOA lane changes with current software and zero counterweight, my right hand near the wheel but never touching, and never got a nag until a split in the freeway.

But as I moved my hand away I started getting bored and couldn't help surveying the landscape, not as safe, even though the system wasn't hacked.

Any time hands are off the wheel - tiny or big counterweight, or none - it's much harder to react quickly. That's what matters. It's not likely to change soon, and it doesn't eliminate AP benefits.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC
FWIW I also had a strange one that evening. A big truck swerved part way into my lane. My car was in NOA. It moved over to the edge of my lane and avoided the truck. Thanks, NIcki. The weird thing is that it dropped out of AP. I have no idea if it was because of the resistance of my hand, or what. It took me a moment to realize I was out of AP, but having my hand at 3:00 on the wheel made it easy to recover. Moral of the story: keep a hand on the wheel, even if you have a bottle of gin, an orange or a concrete block jammed in there, don't go scratching your butt or molesting your passenger.

Oh yeah, I forgot again: :) ;)

Last edited: