Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any hack to remove the autopilot nag?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Guys, you want to find a way to cheap the controls, or in other words bypass safety controls, no one can stop you - until you have an accident and the lawyers on their side drag you into court for doing what you say here you are going to do. If you are going to do it, don't leave bread crumbs here that you are planning on or doing it. Don't kid yourself that they will never find your comments here. The right keywords in a Google search will pop TMC comments right up on their screen.

Last edited:
The "driver inattention detector" is not adjustable. I'm someone who has countless times knocked the AP out by jerking, and sometimes failed to notice. That's a barrel of laughs when you're expecting correction as you're heading for the proverbial ditch.

I've tried all practical hand positions on the wheel, for me none prevent nags. I don't want to disable the nag, what I want is for small corrections from my hand to satisfy the system. My hand rests around the 3:00 position, elbow on the console. A small 3-4 oz weight on the back of the right spoke, held on with a velcro strap, is what I wrap my fingers around. When a nag does occur, it only takes a tiny motion to clear it. Mission accomplished.

Using heavier weights is a very bad idea because 1) it's unnecessary, 2) you don't want to defeat what is after all a reasonable safety interlock, even though it's not ideally implemented and 3) with a heavier weight the drag to the right becomes annoying in Manual driving.

20200110_133650s.jpg

Now I think I'll go hide, expecting Puritan and L&O fire.

Last edited:
It NEVER works for me and I refuse to drive with my hand at 6 o'clock. I'll probably use the 1.5lb vecro wrist weight one day.

You just said you disagreed with my suggestion of using the "sides" of the wheel, now you're saying you won't use bottom either. <Scratching head>. I refuse to use the bottom of the wheel as well and placing one hand on either side over a fairly wide range works for most. Folks may disagree on how wide that range is.

• Disagree
Reactions: ElectricIAC
The "driver inattention detector" is not adjustable. I'm someone who has countless times knocked the AP out by jerking, and sometimes failed to notice. That's a barrel of laughs when you're expecting correction as you're heading for the proverbial ditch.

I've tried all practical hand positions on the wheel, for me none prevent nags. I don't want to disable the nag, what I want is for small corrections from my hand to satisfy the system. My hand rests around the 3:00 position, elbow on the console. A small 3-4 oz weight on the back of the right spoke, held on with a velcro strap, is what I wrap my fingers around. When a nag does occur, it only takes a tiny motion to clear it. Mission accomplished.

Using heavier weights is a very bad idea because 1) it's unnecessary, 2) you don't want to defeat what is after all a reasonable safety interlock, even though it's not ideally implemented and 3) with a heavier weight the drag to the right becomes annoying in Manual driving.

Now I think I'll go hide, expecting Puritan and L&O fire.

At least you were smart enough to mount it behind the wheel... in a previous thread I recall a dude proudly showing off the small bag of BBs he had taped to the front to beat the nag... which will be a lot of fun if his airbag ever deploys.

We just adjust the right scroll wheel very slightly rather than moving the steering wheel. It’s enough to stop the nag.

This is the best answer for OP's original concern. I also sometimes accidentally disengage AP when trying to apply torque to satsify the nags and now i simply use the scroll wheels instead (either volume or speed) to make it shut up.

Adding a weight to the wheel is incredibly dangerous if something were to actually happen to you, like a medical emergency.

Reactions: digitalDCH and KJD
Yes but that’s not really a solution since it’s an unnatural movement in high frequency, just like gently pulling on the wheel with the hand opposing. How often are you really adjusting the volume in regular practice?

Driver aid meant to reduce fatigue requires frequent fatigue inducing movements to satisfy arbitrary input requirements. This is a big part of why FSD isn’t worth buying yet.

where do you keep your hand(s) on the wheel. I’ve had good luck resting just my right hand on the bottom right of the steering wheel.

Mine's at about 7 o'clock and I still have to either tweak the left nipple (wheel) or tug on the steering wheel itself. Resting it does no good for me to solve the nag issue, perhaps my arm isn't heavy enough.

You just said you disagreed with my suggestion of using the "sides" of the wheel, now you're saying you won't use bottom either. <Scratching head>. I refuse to use the bottom of the wheel as well and placing one hand on either side over a fairly wide range works for most. Folks may disagree on how wide that range is.
What's so hard to understand? Using 6 o'clock to get around the nag works 100%, which you claimed doesn't work.

My choice of not using it is a safety issue, not an issue of avoiding nag.

On my 2015 Model S I didn't have much issue with nags because the torque sensor seemed to be pretty sensitive to my hands at the wheel. But, I didn't use AP that much because TACC itself was really good and AP1 had some issues (like Truck lust).

On my 2018 Model 3 the torque sensor is horrible. Like the edge between holding it with enough torque not to nag is so close to the torque required to cancel it that its problematic. The other thing is TACC itself isn't any good where there is too much false braking. Sure the false braking still happens with AP, but at least AP is halfway decent. Plus the user initiated lane changes are a thing of beauty with AP2 (not the NoA initiated lane changes as they suck).

generally the 3/9 o’clock position but I’ll try your suggestion. Thanks!

The only time that I got nags was when I didn't know what I was doing as I first picked up my car from delivery.

I quickly learned that I need to create a constant counter-torque, and not holding the steering wheel.

That's how I get the feedback from the automation so that I know whether it's steering correctly or not and I can override it seamlessly.

I can place my hand anywhere on the steering wheel but the trick is creating continuous counter-torque. And I could rest my elbows on the side door or central armrest as well while doing that.

Reactions: BuggDDS