Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any hack to remove the autopilot nag?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I suspect the OP's sensor is broken. I never get the nag now that I'm used to the car.

I usually just put some pressure one way or the other, but I've found a new trick. I put my foot on the floor with my knee bent so that it's close to the steering wheel. I rest my hand on my leg and grip the wheel. The hand is stationary, and I let the wheel slide through my grip as the car steers. That is, I resist the movement somewhat.

It's a little less safe because my foot has to move to hit the accelerator or the brake.

Safest is hands at 10 and 2 but always torquing the wheel slightly.

Reactions: Thp3
This is backwards for most people. If you have your elbow rest on the console cushion and place your hand on the wheel at the bottom so that it gives the wheel a bit of clockwise torque, it is just enough to drive for hundreds of miles without a single nag. Actually holding the wheel at 9-3 produces a nag several times a minute and is super annoying.

OP's microtorque sensor may be broken though.

That's exactly what I do. Right hand at kept at ~5:30 pm (on a clock) with right elbow on the console cushion. When the nag light comes on, all I have to do is twitch the arm down towards 6:00 o'clock position, and once pressure is felt, the nag goes away. Or, if in a curve, just hold the wheel with light firmness which creates push-back against the auto steer. Once some pressure is felt, release and let the car complete the curve.

Playing with your music volume (scroll wheels) also works.

Now, if I could just solve the Wifey nag (she doesn't trust the machine).

Working the scroll wheel might work for some. But that little 100 gram (~ 3.5 Oz) duct-taped baggie of BBs solves all of the mentioned issues WITHOUT defeating the justified requirement to keep a hand on the wheel, and in full control of the car.

No position otherwise works for me on this car. This just tunes the torque detection, something that ideally should be adjustable in software.

With the hand at 3:00 o'clock, elbow on the console, fingers resting on the little baggie, User's hand provides adequate resistance most of the time. When the car decides to test User's attention anyway, it only takes a tiny move to satisfy the nag, without accidentally disengaging the autopilot, and that's what it's all about.

The hand at the right spoke is also in the only position to instantly 1) adjust target speed, 2) adjust inter-car distance, 3) engage/disengage AS/AP. And to steer manually at any time. I use these all the time to ride the autopilot, and IMHO especially a new user should learn the system while working these controls.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Any hack to remove it? People said that an orange wedged in the steering wheel worked for the model S but not the model 3.

orange is old school, just duct tape some weight and wrap around steering wheel with velcro tape

It's dangerous to "hack it" even if it's broken, because you'll have no incentive to get it fixed or change your driving habits.

just keep your eyes on the road when hacked

can't you hang some weight on 9 oclock position? it could get you killed though

see above

Don’t try this near my home, but:

As of right now, Clipping something onto one side of the wheel that weighs enough will fool it so long as the wheel has to turn slightly every so often. On a very straight road this will not work and eventually defaults to red wheel of death and AP lockout.
works perfectly on a very straight road.

I have seen people hang a weighted sock from the wheel and that stops it. Lol.

basically any weight past the min requried added to the wheel will work

OH YEAH. That's going to look good on the big screen in the courtroom in front of a bunch of Tesla hater jurors.
who to say people who use this hack will blame tesla though? most people, like myself, assume the risk. Yeah people may not like its but its the USA we can do what we want

Adding a weight to the wheel is incredibly dangerous if something were to actually happen to you, like a medical emergency.

oh yeah? so whats the difference between adding weight, or just having regular cruise control on, and then having a medical emergency???????? seems like with cruise control you would die faster. with this hack you could stay in your lane and all somebody has to do is stop in front of you to make your car stop.................

Reactions: CGeiser
Took a 2 hr drive yesterday and with the nag the AP was useful for about 5 miles of the drive. I find that trying to babysit the nag takes my attention away from watching the road. In other words, the nag is more dangerous than a defeat device.

I would still happily trade Elon my AP for a $3k refund any day of the week!

Took a 2 hr drive yesterday and with the nag the AP was useful for about 5 miles of the drive. I find that trying to babysit the nag takes my attention away from watching the road. In other words, the nag is more dangerous than a defeat device.

I would still happily trade Elon my AP for a $3k refund any day of the week!
No need to babysit it, just hang a hand at 5 or 7. No nags, problem solved.

who to say people who use this hack will blame tesla though? most people, like myself, assume the risk. Yeah people may not like its but its the USA we can do what we want

See, for example, the huge # of people who report "the car just accelerated on its own!" every year- and 100% of cases turns out they hit the accelerator instead of the brake (or tangled a floor mat in the accelerator or something)

Personal responsibility when something goes wrong is much less common than you suggest.

With the S it was a good well placed orange. With the 3 Tesla made it harder. You need a whole box full. Good luck on placement;)
IMG_20200216_105353.jpg

No, you can’t do anything you want. Self righteous FU to everyone, I’m the only person that matters, I pay my taxes so the road is mine mentality.

You spoil it for all other Tesla owners when enough fools take your advice, lead to accidents and AP gets completely banned.

Many of us are happy with just the way it is.

Thanks pal, your such a peach.

Maybe you could take up sky diving and experiment with disabling the safeties or something. Parachutes are so overrated. You can do anything you want.

No, you can’t do anything you want. Self righteous FU to everyone, I’m the only person that matters, I pay my taxes so the road is mine mentality.

You spoil it for all other Tesla owners when enough fools take your advice, lead to accidents and AP gets completely banned.

Many of us are happy with just the way it is.

Thanks pal, your such a peach.

Maybe you could take up sky diving and experiment with disabling the safeties or something. Parachutes are so overrated. You can do anything you want.

oh, so somehow I moved to iran or yemen? clearly I can do what I want here in the USA
Please don't put words in my mouth or assume my stance on ANYTHING unless you hear me say it
Save your sob story until I actually get into an accident
Using the hack and paying the attention to the road is no different than people resting their hand lightly on the wheel with AP on and paying attention to the road
You talk as if I put the hack on and take a 3 hour nap or something, smh
Wat I'm doing is no worse than people talking on the phone or texting while driving. You can't save the world, you're wasting your keystrokes, people will always text and drive

No, you can’t do anything you want.

You can borrow a copy of my new book "A Crash Course in Skydiving". Be aware, however, that in chapter 3 where it says 'Accelerated Freefall' that should read 'pull ripcord'. An editing error. We apologize for any inconvenience that may have caused.

That's interesting. As an experiment, what happens if you pull down on one side of the steering wheel, almost enough to disengage AP? Too tiring to be practical, but it could tell you (and us) whether the torque detector is totally broken.
Good test. But if you have to pull down anywhere close to disengaging AP it’s definitely broken. I can pull down on the side with a gentle two fingers and it satisfies.

• Funny
That's interesting. As an experiment, what happens if you pull down on one side of the steering wheel, almost enough to disengage AP? Too tiring to be practical, but it could tell you (and us) whether the torque detector is totally broken.

I'll check out today. Yesterday I had both hands on the wheel and shook it left and right and it still didn't register. Not sure if that's consistent because I find AP so useless for my style of defensive driving and fear of more phantom brakings that I barely use it.

• Funny
Hmm odd. Maybe schedule a service center appt because it’s supposed to detect your hand on the wheel. Many others don’t have an issue leaving a hand in the wheel to get no nags so maybe yours needs tuning.

Probably won't schedule an appt because nothing scares me more than giving my car to a SC after my past experiences. So unless I absolutely have to do it, I won't. And I don't use AP because if I let it do it's thing, it puts me in dangerous situations because it has no clue how to drive defensively, and it likes to phantom brake.

• Funny
I don't have the full self driving, but as of now, or when its complete, will full self driving have the nag?

FSD as defined prior to March 2019 when complete will not have a nag, since it explicitly says it'll drive without the driver having to do anything at all.

FSD as defined after March 2019 is a totally different story, with the only actual promised features compared to today being

• Recognize and respond to traffic lights and stop signs
  • Automatic driving on city streets

Which could easily be just Level 2 NoA for city streets.

Indeed they make a point under the NEW FSD to say:

The currently enabled features require active driver supervision and do not make the vehicle autonomous.
(which means- nags)

and then:

The activation and use of these features are dependent on achieving reliability far in excess of human drivers as demonstrated by billions of miles of experience, as well as regulatory approval, which may take longer in some jurisdictions. As these self-driving features evolve, your car will be continuously upgraded through over-the-air software updates.

Suggesting you might get more and what is explicitly cited above (ie more than L2) but they're not promising it in what they're selling anymore.

• Funny