Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any hack to remove the autopilot nag?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
(1) That's a fake video. Do fact checking first.
(2) How did they fake it? USING A NAG DEFEAT DEVICE. Which only highlights my original point.

Which highlights the point of this thread, defeating current AP driver attention, which highlights the video, which shows it being defeated, which you have confirmed via your apparent "fact checking". Thank you.

(3) Good luck getting the camera attention system to work without massive false negatives.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC
I agree with many here that using a defeat device, even the "safe ones" that attached by velcro and are out of the way can lead to accidents as "full self-driving" is nowhere near safe enough at the current time.. Also the incidences where the vehicle has hit unrecognized obstacles, it is simply not safe to defeat the nag.

No one said using a hack can not and will not lead to accidents.
If on AP, hack or no hack, you will still hit unrecognized obstacles if you're not paying attention. My repeated point that using a hack is not much different than not using a hack. You'll hit them in both instances! I've always emphasized paying attention over anything else while driving.

I'm going to be deliberately blunt here...

Anyone using any nag defeat device in a Tesla is an idiot. Plain and simple.

Nag defeat devices are potentially deadly. Deadly for the driver. Deadly for other drivers (and passengers).)

Well a person being an idiot, is just your opinion,which means pretty much nothing. People will still do what they do. Calling them names I guess is just to somehow look good for your peers here.

Its not nag defeat, its not paying attention that is deadly. Not paying attention when using AP (no hack) is also just as deadly. Not sure why yall think its okay to just touch the wheel with the nag comes on and think everything is hunky dory.

That's fine, but defeating it is so so dangerous. For everyone.
I rode with the hack on for 2 hours straight today on i95. Did I make your drive dangerous today because of it?? How many people you think called the cops on me because I was driving dangerously by using the hack?

People were doing stupid things when the nag time had a longer interval.
Tesla and the regulators responded by tightening up the nag times.
All it takes is for a couple of stupid people to do something that hurts or kills someone for FSD to be delayed indefinitely..
Its already happened and it will happen again. You are hoping that everybody will one day be a model driver. That will never happen.

The only safe way to drive on any AP is for 1) your attention to be on the road and 2) your hand(s) to be in position to operate the controls and steer with full force in an instant, like to dramatically swerve to avoid an accident.

If your hands are on the wheel 100% of the time there's no need to use AP with hack on or off, just DRIVE then

Last edited:

The interior camera in the 3 of course lacks the ability to be very useful for this task (and the S/X lack said camera entirely)

A purpose-designed camera to do it, which is what Caddy uses, placed properly, with the relevant supporting HW to allow it to see when it's dark, can do... an ok job a lot of the time. But even their system is being revised to address a number of issues it has with accurate detection.

The interior camera in the 3 of course lacks the ability to be very useful for this task (and the S/X lack said camera entirely)

A purpose-designed camera to do it, which is what Caddy uses, placed properly, with the relevant supporting HW to allow it to see when it's dark, can do... an ok job a lot of the time. But even their system is being revised to address a number of issues it has with accurate detection.
Because cameras fix everything...oh wait..
53D8F03C-B19E-42A8-9BED-CEAC55867126.jpeg

• Disagree
Reactions: anon125110
Well, ignoring entrenched positions in this thread...

-- No nag/attention system will ever be perfect. There will always be people trying to defeat the system, as they compete for the next Darwin Award.
-- The Tesla system at least is active. It requires you to DO something to prove to the car you are paying attention. Decades of research has shown such systems to be superior to passive ones that attempt to guess the attentiveness of the operator, and a random YouTube sales video of a company touting a new AI system doesnt change that (and yes, I'm aware of the Cadillac system).
-- The fact that the Tesla system CAN be defeated in no way obviates its purpose or functionality. It reflects not on Tesla but on the person attempting to defeat the nag.
-- Someone here said they find the nags "annoying", and felt that was sufficient reason to defeat them. Nurses find medical device alarms "annoying" too .. would you be happy going to a hospital where they turned them off??
-- Someone else said they had driven for several hours recently with a nag defeat and didn't have any problems. Indeed. And I can "prove" that cigarettes are harmless by finding some 80 year old man who smoked 2 packs a day for 50 years and doesnt have lung cancer.
-- Claims that its not the nag defeat but the driver that are the dangerous element are absurd, since you can extend them to seat belts, anti-lock brakes, and every other safety feature on modern cars, or anywhere else for that matter.

As I've already said, the Tesla system works pretty well, and is a reasonably good balance between being too intrusive and providing the necessary safety assurance. I stand by my original post on the subject; defeating the nag system is idiotic.

If your hands are on the wheel 100% of the time there's no need to use AP with hack on or off, just DRIVE then

HUH? With the seat adjusted right, keeping my right hand at 3:00, with my elbow on the console, is the most comfortable arm position for me. Hardly the same effort as driving manually. I'm hard-pressed to find another place to put it that's as comfy. Unless there's a lovely love interest in my lap, but that's another subject.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC
HUH? With the seat adjusted right, keeping my right hand at 3:00, with my elbow on the console, is the most comfortable arm position for me. Hardly the same effort as driving manually. I'm hard-pressed to find another place to put it that's as comfy. Unless there's a woman in my lap, but that's another subject.
Get the woman to hold the wheel in that case. :D

There are a bunch of youtube vids on this subject]

I am VERY alarmed at the second of these videos.
This idiot tard has actually moved the entire steering
wheel assembly to the wrong side side of the dashboard
in an effort to defeat the nagging. Wow! What a dusch bag.
What lengths some people will go to just to avoid a
little blue flashing here and there!

Last edited:
Well, ignoring entrenched positions in this thread...

As I've already said, the Tesla system works pretty well, and is a reasonably good balance between being too intrusive and providing the necessary safety assurance. I stand by my original post on the subject; defeating the nag system is idiotic.

Yeah, but at the same time your whole post was useless.

HUH? With the seat adjusted right, keeping my right hand at 3:00, with my elbow on the console, is the most comfortable arm position for me. Hardly the same effort as driving manually. I'm hard-pressed to find another place to put it that's as comfy. Unless there's a lovely love interest in my lap, but that's another subject.

I believe you missed the point of what I was trying to say. I said just drive. Meaning don't use AP

I am VERY alarmed at the second of these videos.
This idiot tard has actually moved the entire steering
wheel assembly to the wrong side side of the dashboard
in an effort to defeat the nagging. Wow! What a dusch bag.
What lengths some people will go to just to avoid a
little blue flashing here and there!

Unfortunately there will never be a perfect world with perfect model drivers

It's this kind of selfish thinking that was the cause of the nag in the first place. Everyone now has to suffer because of a few.

I think 100 out of 100 people already knew why the nag is there.

I'm saying there are better... SAFER methods to monitor driver attention AND not annoy people.

Please remember, the S/X were never designed for driver attention feedback in the first place... Tesla only started using the torque sensor for driver attention AFTER a few people died. That was the only practical sensor they could leverage... the current solution is otherwise known as KLUDGE.

Upon releasing the the 3, they carried that kludge forward. Telsa seems to have 'entrenched' themselves into only using torque sensing. Which this thread has determined to be easily defeated.

Which was my "original post"... Tesla seems is so far advanced in optical recognition software and hardware for AP, yet they use the most primitive form of driver attention monitoring.

"Remember to tug on your steering wheel every 20 seconds..."

imho the easiest thing is to get into a comfortable position, put the steering wheel nice and low and touch the bottom of the steering wheel with your knee. its usually enough.

imho, on long straight stretches... the easiest thing to do is... simply drive the car without AP.

I've used AP since it came out, and have grown with its near death experiences, improvements, and increasing nags. It still serves a great purpose, mostly in bumper-to-bumper.

However I've stopped using AP on most of my daily commute; while my hands are solid on the wheel but not triggering enough torque. It's less anxiety to simply drive myself vs remembering to wiggle the wheel every 20.

Last edited:
Reactions: MIT_S60
imho, on long straight stretches... the easiest thing to do is... simply drive the car without AP.

I've used AP since it came out, and have grown with its near death experiences, improvements, and increasing nags. It still serves a great purpose, mostly in bumper-to-bumper.

However I've stopped using AP on most of my daily commute; while my hands are solid on the wheel but not triggering enough torque. It's less anxiety to simply drive myself vs remembering to wiggle the wheel every 20.
No need to wiggle. Hang a hand at 5 or 7 and it recognizes your hand on the wheel. At least for me it does.