Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any HW3 updates to MCU1 Model X or Model s?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This thread’s been dormant for a while, but wanted to pass along that I just validated with my local service team that at this point there is no availability for the FSD chip for vehicles with MCU1, and no path forward at this point, as far as they’re aware of. Very frustrating as I’m now dealing with a bug in the software that doesn’t allow me to download new updates, as well as the other issues referred to by a previous poster of “memory leak”.
Tempe or Scottsdale?

I scheduled mine for June 3rd. I just signed the paperwork for the new MCU upgrade. They will upgrade to HW 3 at the same time. I have a 3/17 MX. I had a mobile service on monday, he stated that I wasn't eligible yet, but stubborn me, still scheduled in the app for June, and was approved.

Reactions: JoJoV111
I just got at txt from Tesla sc in Memphis, about my browser not working. They said it is a know issue and will get a patch soon. I said i am still waiting for my Invite for MCU2 and my Prepaid FSD 3 computer. They said I am not on the list for the mcu2 yet, but I can come in Monday and get my FSD 3 CPU installed. I guess the FSD 3 CPU plays well with the MCU1, just not expecting the 3d graphics.

I do not have the high end stereo system, I wonder if the new MCU2 only come with it. That could be an issue.

I have a 09/2017 Model S 75, AP 2.5, MCU1.

Reactions: Ryshaw and Bigriver
I just got at txt from Tesla sc in Memphis, about my browser not working. They said it is a know issue and will get a patch soon. I said i am still waiting for my Invite for MCU2 and my Prepaid FSD 3 computer. They said I am not on the list for the mcu2 yet, but I can come in Monday and get my FSD 3 CPU installed. I guess the FSD 3 CPU plays well with the MCU1, just not expecting the 3d graphics.

I do not have the high end stereo system, I wonder if the new MCU2 only come with it. That could be an issue.

I do not have the high-end stereo but they confirmed me for a late May install of MCU2 and FSD. -- X 100D 6/2017

Reactions: Bigriver
My specs are almost the same as yours except X100. Also no upgraded stereo package. I just got my FSD computer installed without the infotainment upgrade. I’ve also been told it’s not available for me yet.

They had some difficulty with getting the new hardware to properly download 2020.12.11.5, which is also what it had prior to the HW3 chip. The car was originally to be ready at 2 pm on Tuesday and it was 4 pm on Wednesday. All I know of the problem is that the SC guys were in touch with the engineers to resolve.

On my 35 mile trip home, autopilot performed beautifully. I’ve heard that HW2.5 is the same as HW3 for current capability (except traffic light and stop sign recognition). But HW3 felt much more stable and smooth. Particularly on curves. Yay, now my $100k car performs as well as my $50k model 3, which had the HW2.5 to HW3 update quite awhile ago.

I was surprised that there was no period of recalibration. Also the traffic lights and stop signs show up in the binnacle display. Had been thinking that with MCU1 I wouldn’t have that.

My specs are almost the same as yours except X100. Also no upgraded stereo package. I just got my FSD computer installed without the infotainment upgrade. I’ve also been told it’s not available for me yet.

They had some difficulty with getting the new hardware to properly download 2020.12.11.5, which is also what it had prior to the HW3 chip. The car was originally to be ready at 2 pm on Tuesday and it was 4 pm on Wednesday. All I know of the problem is that the SC guys were in touch with the engineers to resolve.

On my 35 mile trip home, autopilot performed beautifully. I’ve heard that HW2.5 is the same as HW3 for current capability (except traffic light and stop sign recognition). But HW3 felt much more stable and smooth. Particularly on curves. Yay, now my $100k car performs as well as my $50k model 3, which had the HW2.5 to HW3 update quite awhile ago.

I was surprised that there was no period of recalibration. Also the traffic lights and stop signs show up in the binnacle display. Had been thinking that with MCU1 I wouldn’t have that.
Did you see cones and trash can ?

I had my X100D 11/17 HW2.5 MCU1 upgraded yesterday to HW3 and frankly I do not see any difference. There are no Traffic Lights or Stop Signs on the binnacle, however I only drove about 50Km and I'm in Ontario Canada.
I'm encouraged to hear your experience as I understood that the cones, traffic lights and stop signs required HW3 and MCU2.

• Informative
Reactions: CHL

I have a very similar experience. I saw last week that my MCU1 Model S (Sept 2017) was eligible for HW3 upgrade and made an appointment for Wednesday this week. They had real problems updating the firmware and kept it for two days. I finally got it back this evening and I second all of Bigriver's observations. I had my doubts that it would work like this on an MCU1 car, but it is looking awesome!

• Love
Reactions: Ryshaw
Also the traffic lights and stop signs show up in the binnacle display. Had been thinking that with MCU1 I wouldn’t have that.
Seems to match up with the experience for Model S in HW3 Upgrade from HW 2.5 with MCU1

Looks like MCU1 has some limitations on how many items it can render but showing why the car is stopping by displaying traffic signals, stop signs, stop lines, and STOP road marking is important enough to get working.

This seems to match up with your experience of cones not in the display and Visualization Preview is not available on MCU1 even with FSD Computer.

Have you noticed fewer number of traffic signals or vehicles being rendered for the same intersection compared to the Model 3?

As of right now my SC appointment has been pushed back for my 2017 HW2.0 MCU1 MX. Seems like since they started to allow earlier vehicles to upgrade there has been a lack of parts. Hopefully with the reopening of Fremont there will be more parts soon!

• Disagree
Reactions: HappyHappy
I had my X100D 11/17 HW2.5 MCU1 upgraded yesterday to HW3 and frankly I do not see any difference. There are no Traffic Lights or Stop Signs on the binnacle, however I only drove about 50Km and I'm in Ontario Canada.
I'm encouraged to hear your experience as I understood that the cones, traffic lights and stop signs required HW3 and MCU2.

Did you turn the feature on in settings autopilot?

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
Have you noticed fewer number of traffic signals or vehicles being rendered for the same intersection compared to the Model 3?
No differences noticed. Limited driving right now, but model X is showing 3 stoplights when there are 3 stoplights, for example. Haven’t noticed where it is missing anything in the rendering, except traffic cones.
And looks like there's no option for "Visualization Preview" for MCU1+FSD Computer.
Agreed. But as noted above, I do see traffic lights and stop signs in the binnacle anyway. Here is what my MCU1, FSD computer Model X autopilot options look like. 2020.16.2.1.
7E06B67F-53A1-4B98-A771-C9625705C5D2.jpeg

And as a comparison, here is what my FSD computer Model 3 autopilot options look like. 2020.12.11.1.
FBEC3A9B-13BD-4360-843F-05F3A0A561E9.jpeg

Got my invoice for June 2nd, FSD computer only. Retain MCU 1. Thanks to all for posting their experience. I’m still debating going for MCU2 at later date. If I remember right Green was able to get visualizations working on MCU1, so not too sure what the limitation is with rendering of if it’s just tactic to have most of us opt in for the upgrade. Does anyone have the stoplight control working yet with FSD COMPUTER/MCU 1 combo?

Either way glad this is finally happening.

Reactions: Ryshaw