Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any Model Y with new projector headlights in the USA?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone actually confirmed they are "Matrix" lights, instead of us guessing? Please link source if so -- a lot of this sounds like perpetuated rumors without any proof
It's only rumor. Even European spec M3 with new lights don't have any fancy feature. US spec certainly don't have it yet due to regulation. All these people waiting for new lights are for the hope of future software update and changes of regulation. No one has actually taken the new lights apart to see if the hardware is there.

Yes someone has confirmed it. Just take a look at this video here
This is the issue, no one has shown that this is the same technology as existing "projector" or "matrix" headlights in other brands - everyone has just seen that these have clear cutoffs in that specific video...

What I'm curious of was -- is there any regulatory filings... or has anyone actually taken apart these lights to PROVE that they can move FOR CORNERING or have "MATRIX" capability?

I'm seriously casting doubt on everyone spouting the rumor mill of "projector" and "matrix" every 5 minutes.

This is the issue, no one has shown that this is the same technology as existing "projector" or "matrix" headlights in other brands - everyone has just seen that these have clear cutoffs in that specific video...

What I'm curious of was -- is there any regulatory filings... or has anyone actually taken apart these lights to PROVE that they can move FOR CORNERING or have "MATRIX" capability?

I'm seriously casting doubt on everyone spouting the rumor mill of "projector" and "matrix" every 5 minutes.
Yeah, there must be many thousands of owners with new headlights (M3 and MYP) by now, but NO ONE has come out to show or prove how great these lights are. It's because there is not much difference in term of function besides appearance and beam patterns.

The difference is in the software. Audi charges an extra $2,000 just for the different software to get the extra features for the e-tron.
Again, video is about Audi, not applicable in Tesla. There is no video of Tesla headlights with actual Matrix function in action, Even Audi doesn't offer this feature in the US if you look at the US speck e-Tron.

Again, video is about Audi, not applicable in Tesla. There is no video of Tesla headlights with actual Matrix function in action, Even Audi doesn't offer this feature in the US if you look at the US speck e-Tron.
The matrix is there. You can see it in the first minute of the video below. The functionality just hasn't been activated in the software yet.

The matrix is there. You can see it in the first minute of the video below. The functionality just hasn't been activated in the software yet.
That's the high beam turning on. If you understand the promise of Matrix headlights, you'd know that individual LED section can be turn off depending on incoming traffic. You can't just turn it on off manually from inside the car if there is no incoming traffic headlights.

Reactions: casey1202
That's the high beam turning on. If you understand the promise of Matrix headlights, you'd know that individual LED section can be turn off depending on incoming traffic. You can't just turn it on off manually from inside the car if there is no incoming traffic headlights.
You are spot on. There is absolutely NO evidence at this time to indicate the headlights are anything other than a redesign that includes a projector beam. There is an ambiguous regulatory filing from Germany that suggests they might be adaptive but even that is unclear.

As of yet there is nothing to suggest they include advanced “digital matrix” technologies like Audi or MB or that those features will ever be enabled with a future software update. I understand why people are hopeful there is more to it than just a design change but as of right now, that’s all it is.

I would think that the refreshed Models S/X would have upgraded headlights when they appear, i.e., adaptive, before the 3/Y. I haven't seen anywhere that this is part of the refresh for the S/X, just that the headlights appear to be 'different'.

They do not have thousands of pixels like European cars. They have between 5-10 regions that they can dim to make other spots brighter. The original euro spec Tesla lights suck. They have 20-30% reduced output because there are no headlight washers. Tesla has changed the lights to guide more light in the direction you are traveling. I do not think they respond to oncoming cars. If you are going straight they focus more of the reduced output straight ahead. It is still matrix but is a completely different use than what European cars call matrix.

Reactions: casey1202
In the U.S. they only come with the MYP for right now.
No, all new Model 3s come with them as well. That is why people are waiting for them on Model Y. If it was only MYP then it would be a premium trim type option so you’d need the P to get them. Since they are on the SR 3 most everyone is assuming they will be on all MY tomorrow. Or the next day. Or the day after that....