Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any Model Y with new projector headlights in the USA?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just picked up my Fremont made MYLR, (August 12th build date) yesterday and the headlights have the projector. Does that mean I have the matrix version? I assume the non matrix headlights is only a reflector type highlight where as the matrix has the projector element?
IMG_4124.JPG

Reactions: JHCCAZ and MyMYLRnw
I just picked up my Fremont made MYLR, (August 12th build date) yesterday and the headlights have the projector. Does that mean I have the matrix version? I assume the non matrix headlights is only a reflector type highlight where as the matrix has the projector element?View attachment 846607
Congratulations, I envy you and I just hope Tesla will activate this and then let the rest of us upgrade if we want to. On the other hand, they may return to the reflectors when their supply situations stabilizes, and we'll never hear about it again.

Replying to your question, yes the matrix is inside the projector element. The projection optics are required to image the matrix to the outside world. I think it's probably very slightly defocused so that the illuminated pixels blur and merge together to fill in the gaps between the LEDs of the coarse matrix.

Reactions: crom!
I believe that sometime last year, new headlight laws were passed. It is good to see all Model Y's getting the projector LED Matrix headlamp setup now. That is the only reason why we got the MYP for my wife last year over the LR (was mainly the headlights). My '22 Model 3 Performance and I believe all Model 3s have them.

I believe that sometime last year, new headlight laws were passed. It is good to see all Model Y's getting the projector LED Matrix headlamp setup now. That is the only reason why we got the MYP for my wife last year over the LR (was mainly the headlights). My '22 Model 3 Performance and I believe all Model 3s have them.
A 2 year consultation period started this year.

MY are receiving matrix headlights on a temporary basis while the std LED projector (Samsung) headlights are in short supply.
Once those supply issues are resolved, the MYLR will no longer be getting matrix units.
It's a random walk as to whether a MYLR will get matrix or not. There is no forecast on start/stop.

It is temporary, Tesla will go back to the cheaper lights when the parts are available for the LR MY builds.

And Austin MY do not get matrix. Definitely temporary supply chain issues.