Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any Model Y with new projector headlights in the USA?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This video at 0:04 is clearly a Tesla M3:

This video shows the features of the new Headlights (yet to be activated via software update):
Thank you. This answers many questions. Seems like the new headlights are in simple mode for now with more complex features available with future software updates. Just hope they will be implemented soon on the MYLR...

Reactions: Platini
This video at 0:04 is clearly a Tesla M3:

This video shows the features of the new Headlights (yet to be activated via software update):
This is really interesting — thanks for sharing. I agree that it’s clearly a M3 in the first video and the pixel patterns shown in the second video are strikingly similar to those captured by Tesla Bjørn and referenced a few posts up in this thread. I think this is the most compelling evidence so far that the Tesla global lights aren’t just “dumb” LED projectors. Of course this also makes it all the more disappointing (and confounding) that they aren’t including them on the MY LR.

Reactions: Platini
This is really interesting — thanks for sharing. I agree that it’s clearly a M3 in the first video and the pixel patterns shown in the second video are strikingly similar to those captured by Tesla Bjørn and referenced a few posts up in this thread. I think this is the most compelling evidence so far that the Tesla global lights aren’t just “dumb” LED projectors. Of course this also makes it all the more disappointing (and confounding) that they aren’t including them on the MY LR.
Release date publication, and presence in M3/MYP doesnt line up.

Its also only "100" cells per chip. Vs competitors thousands/millions per matrix.

20210522_095200.jpg

"
News of the deal was confirmed Sunday according to a report from the Korea IT News. The publication said the deal would entail Samsung providing Tesla with “smart headlamps,” which are already in production.

The report added that the headlights would be supplied to Tesla through German automotive part supplier HELLA."

Last edited:
So, what are you suggesting?
Tesla ditched the previous LED Chip supplier and brought Samsung on (or made Samsung a 2nd source).

Hella assembles the headlight units for Tesla, and they probably struggled to get enough of the chips to meet Teslas needs. Notice all of Hella's 100 cell headlight videos match Samsungs marketing videos...

I dont think any currently delivered to customer M3 or MYP has the Samsung chip yet.

It lines up with the whole "pivoting" press release on how Tesla avoided the chip shortage in time... now, they are struggling with a FW update preventing 10,000s of cars from delivery (headlight probably isnt the only unit that had the chip supplier pivoted away from)

• Informative
Reactions: 63AMG
FYI - potentially new lights on the LR now as of the most recent May builds??!

An unfortunate explanation could be a MYP on a second set of winter wheels and tires. Hopefully not though!

My SA told me that they are producing LR with new lights after a certain VIN. He didn’t tell me what VIN though