Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any Model Y with new projector headlights in the USA?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not gonna lie, I'm glad my 2021 Q1 Y LR 7 seater came with radar... glad I didn't wait for a rumor on headlights to pan out šŸ¤£
šŸ˜ haha valid point! I think I'd still rather have the global lights than the radar, but I see where you're coming from. As I understand it though, with the next software release all M3 and MY will only be using vision - so the radar will basically just be a brick in your front bumper.

I'm really interested to see how AP/FSD works using only vision and trying to keep an open mind. Congrats on your MY! How long have you had it now? Hope you're loving it.

šŸ˜ haha valid point! I think I'd still rather have the global lights than the radar, but I see where you're coming from. As I understand it though, with the next software release all M3 and MY will only be using vision - so the radar will basically just be a brick in your front bumper.

I'm really interested to see how AP/FSD works using only vision and trying to keep an open mind. Congrats on your MY! How long have you had it now? Hope you're loving it.

ā€ so the radar will basically just be a brick in your front bumperā€ = condescending

Picked it up right at the end of March, been amazing so far.

If they did shut them off... thats a big class action lawsuit for when (not if) Vision fails to stop a car in time during inclement weather. We bought the car because of the existing, tested and matured safety centric hardware.

It should be an optional opt out.

Picked it up right at the end of March, been amazing so far.

If they did shut them off... thats a big class action lawsuit for when (not if) Vision fails to stop a car in time during inclement weather. We bought the car because of the existing, tested and matured safety centric hardware.

It should be an optional opt out.
Glad to hear youā€™re loving it so far. And yeah, Iā€™m not sure if itā€™s been confirmed yet that Tesla will no longer be using radar data on the older models or not. But it would mean theyā€™d have to essentially develop, deploy and support two parallel versions of AP/FSD. Hard to see them doing that but who knows?

Glad to hear youā€™re loving it so far. And yeah, Iā€™m not sure if itā€™s been confirmed yet that Tesla will no longer be using radar data on the older models or not. But it would mean theyā€™d have to essentially develop, deploy and support two parallel versions of AP/FSD. Hard to see them doing that but who knows?
From what I understand, they can simply keep radar as an unincorporated safety feature, and may even realize at some point (when there arent shortages in every industry) that re-incorporating the sensor into a fused solution is better in all situations.

Ask yourself, if Tesla Vision is safe without radar, why are Model S and X still getting them?

I've also not seen any information mentioning disabling delivered radar systems, only that they are just now delivering 3 and Y in North America (only) without them.

ā€ so the radar will basically just be a brick in your front bumperā€ = condescending
Yes, the radar sensor may not have much purpose if camera/sonic sensors give Tesla what they need to be successful. I work in telematics for big rigs and there are times that we code around a sensor that is EOL or just no longer provides value. We use vision and other sensors but not radar in our sensor array and we are able to accurately capture lots of the same events Tesla is capturing today. Though we are not trying to drive the truck others in our industry are tackling that problem.

Reactions: casey1202
Just for those who may be interested, I posted a comment about the matrix-headlights topic and how it could become wrapped up in the latest vision-only AutoPilot development. It's in the Autonomous technology forum, written in response to a valid complaint about the annoying behavior of Tesla Auto High Beam, which is now mandatory with vision-only AP.

No more radar and lumbar support on the passenger seat, this is what I get for waiting for the new headlights!! By the time the new headlights come, many more features may go missing!!
To be fair, the lack of the power lumbar adjustment for the front passenger seat is still unconfirmed at this point. Itā€™s been inconsistent so far with most new deliveries still having it and a few that donā€™t. Also might be related to the white versus black interior, but thatā€™s still hit or miss too.

To be fair, the lack of the power lumbar adjustment for the front passenger seat is still unconfirmed at this point. Itā€™s been inconsistent so far with most new deliveries still having it and a few that donā€™t. Also might be related to the white versus black interior, but thatā€™s still hit or miss too.
Well at this point we can say it has been confirmed. I saw multiple pictures of both white and black interiors without the lumbar adjustment button. Also Teslaā€™s website confirms the change as well. In the ā€˜Interior & Convenienceā€ section it now says the front seats are simply ā€œpower adjustable.ā€ Previously this section said they were ā€œ12-way power adjustableā€. I just hope mine still has it..

Well at this point we can say it has been confirmed. I saw multiple pictures of both white and black interiors without the lumbar adjustment button. Also Teslaā€™s website confirms the change as well. In the ā€˜Interior & Convenienceā€ section it now says the front seats are simply ā€œpower adjustable.ā€ Previously this section said they were ā€œ12-way power adjustableā€. I just hope mine still has it..

Thanks for sharing. Good to know itā€™s confirmed ā€” not a huge loss in my opinion, but still a bit disappointing. I would also note what BMW is doing and what a stark contrast it is in comparison to Tesla; they clearly communicated with their customers and offered a $250 refund. Tesla could really learn a thing or two about customer service.