TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Any reason not to cancel?

Discussion in 'Model 3: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by kavyboy, Jul 19, 2018.

1. kavyboy

kavyboy Member

We've decided to hold off getting our Model 3. Is there any reason to not cancel and get our deposit back now?

2. dano9258

dano9258 Member

Yes. If you're waiting for the 35000 version, you will lose your spot in line. If not, not really. However, I strongly urge you not to. I had high expectations for this car and it's has well exceeded them. I've never had a car I've loved this much. It is perfect!

• Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  3. Garlan Garner

Garlan Garner Well-Known Member

If you can get your money back....then that means you haven't configured. So...…

Better question is - why haven't you configured?

4. Trevor B

Trevor B Member

C'mon man ... only you can make that decision to cancel or not!

• Like x 1
  5. kavyboy

kavyboy Member

The decision is to buy or not. I'm trying to figure out if that's independent of the decision to cancel the reservation. If I cancel and buy the next day, I don't think it matters in the long run unless I'm missing something, which is why I'm asking.

6. Garlan Garner

I don't understand what you are saying...

You were talking about getting your money back.....that's a cancel. Period.

You can't cancel and buy the next day.

7. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker S 90D 2018.32.4

If you cancel your reservation, you'll lose your place in line:

8. BenR

BenR Member

If you cancel today and decide to place an order for LR or LR-D tomorrow, no, it would appear that it matters very little if at all.

If you decide next year that you want to buy an SR version, it might matter significantly as to when you could get your car. The line will be long and Tesla has stated that reservation holders will be prioritized to some degree. Could be the difference between a $3750 or $1875 tax credit depending on when you order.

There's also a chance that outstanding Model 3 reservations could end up being convertible to higher-priority Model Y reservations, if that would be something that might interest you. Probably a long-shot on that (who knows what they're going to do with the Model Y, honestly) but you never know.

• Informative x 1
  9. Garlan Garner

Just between you and me... "Why wouldn't he know that already"? "I don't get this thread"

10. davidc18

davidc18 Active Member

Have been sitting on our day 2 reservation waiting on the 35k version. Decided to cancel last week for a variety of reasons.

• Like x 1
  11. Garlan Garner

For goodness sake...look at all the Teslas you already own.

Did you run out of garage space? lol

12. Ron Kerensky

Ron Kerensky Member

Someone wants to be talked off the ledge! You're not exactly asking Jim Chanos if you should cancel...

13. brkaus

brkaus Active Member

As long as some priority goes to reservation holders on future version releases (interior colors, SR, non premium, air suspension) the reservation helps you.

Depends on him w much you need the money and what else you would do with it.

I just got rid of my reservation by converting it into an order.

14. davidc18

davidc18 Active Member

The kids are disappointed. They have to keep driving our 2009 SmartCar for a while longer.

Officially down to only one Tesla right now.

smart - Edited.jpg

15. kavyboy

kavyboy Member

OK, thanks all! Nobody mentioned the little model car. I'm, not sure if I might miss out on that. :) Otherwise, I might as well pull that money back before the credit card is reissued due to another "security breach". (Man, did that get old!)

16. Need

Need Active Member

If losing place in line does not matter, then you should cancel.

1) You get your $1000 back now.
    2) If you decided to order, they only keep $2500 as deposit instead of $3500. For any reason if you have to cancel after you configured, you only lose $2500 instead of $3500.

• Informative x 1
  17. dano9258

dano9258 Member

Just order the LR RWD version. You will get full tax credit and be alot happier.

18. Runt8

Runt8 Active Member

I was under the impression that once you order the $1000 reservation was converted to be non-refundable order deposit (ie, once you order you can't get your $1000 back).

19. Marsnaut

Marsnaut Member

If you don't need the $1,000 and there is even a slight chance you want the base version within the next 1.5 years, keep the reservation. In 99.99% of other situations, take the deposit back and enjoy!

20. Need

Need Active Member

That's what I read too. But the new order does not require the $1000. It goes straight to just $2500. I mean you don't need to do the "reservation". So they are only holding $2500 as ransom.