Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any risks ordering inventory cars?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got an "inventory" M3 LR AWD two weeks ago; it's working great. (Part of the, "Take delivery before 9/30, transfer FSD for free" program.)

And.. "inventory" seems to be a relative term. The SO and I found one we liked, but it wasn't sitting on a lot. It was in transit, meaning it was kind of being sold off the truck in a way. Had, like 20 miles on the odometer when we got it.

And.. "inventory" seems to be a relative term. The SO and I found one we liked, but it wasn't sitting on a lot. It was in transit, meaning it was kind of being sold off the truck in a way. Had, like 20 miles on the odometer when we got it.
There is zero difference between “inventory” and “custom order” cars. Tesla makes every configuration in batches. “Custom orders” from that batch are matched to a VIN. The leftovers are “inventory” cars and sent around the country by exactly the same logistics for people to order at will.

Reactions: Lance From Jax
There is zero difference between “inventory” and “custom order” cars. Tesla makes every configuration in batches. “Custom orders” from that batch are matched to a VIN. The leftovers are “inventory” cars and sent around the country by exactly the same logistics for people to order at will.
Exactly. It's not like Tesla has that many options to choose from anyway - so no real reason to "custom order". It's easy enough to find one in "Inventory" or "in transit" that's the color and specs you want.

Reactions: msm859
What are people's thoughts on "new" inventory cars marked as previously repaired? It's an M3 RWD discounted by $1,170 with disclosed repairs for paint chips in the hood and right quarter panel with a total repair cost of about $1,500. In need of a vehicle asap.

What are people's thoughts on "new" inventory cars marked as previously repaired? It's an M3 RWD discounted by $1,170 with disclosed repairs for paint chips in the hood and right quarter panel with a total repair cost of about $1,500. In need of a vehicle asap.
If completely repainted then why not
Maybe have a trusted body shop do a review
Confirming the condition

Exactly. It's not like Tesla has that many options to choose from anyway - so no real reason to "custom order". It's easy enough to find one in "Inventory" or "in transit" that's the color and specs you want.
The last car I ordered was a 2022 C8 Corvette. Based on the options there are over 11,000 potential different configurations. With the Model 3 there are 60 potential configurations.

Ordered a new inventory model y, did delivery twice with 2 vins, both vehicles have some issues. Body gap, paint scratches, rear seats button not working. The staff there tried to persuade me take the car then schedule service to fix it, I rejected cause not reaching my expectations.
The staff there told me they will try to find a new vin to do 3rd delivery.
Afterwards, Tesla just unreachable, text not respond, app message not respond. My Tesla app model y order on hold, and additional money asked if I continue the order.

So my questions on tesla

1, Though it's a inventory, it had showed a brand new car on Tesla website, not a problematic one. Why I order a new car which need to be fixed and serviced?
2, I got a deal and paid the money for a new car, it's Tesla responsibility to deliver a QC passed car, not mine, why you raise the price if you not capable to do that?
3, why Tesla let the probmatic inventory on the market? It's a shame. Small issues do not matter for Tesla?

Ordered a new inventory model y, did delivery twice with 2 vins, both vehicles have some issues. Body gap, paint scratches, rear seats button not working. The staff there tried to persuade me take the car then schedule service to fix it, I rejected cause not reaching my expectations.
Afterwards, Tesla just unreachable, text not respond, app message not respond. My Tesla app model y order on hold, and additional money asked if I continue the order.

So my questions on tesla

1, Though it's a inventory, it had showed a brand new car on Tesla website, not a problematic one. Why I order a new car which need to be fixed and serviced?
2, I got a deal and paid the money for a new car, it's Tesla responsibility to deliver a QC passed car, not mine, why you raise the price if you not capable to do that?
3, why Tesla let the probmatic inventory on the market? It's a shame. Small issues do not matter for Tesla?
With you 100%
Terrible experience
I’m in NY metro and all of our service centers are run perfectly
Three Teslas later and our customer experiences have been great

Hate to hear how they are treating you
I would find out whom the general manager is and visit him or her
Clear the air, set expectations

So my questions on tesla

I think Tesla thinks the demand is higher than the supply, so it can dictate its terms. Customers are afraid of missing out, so they are willing to buy a damaged good.

So my questions on tesla

This is what I think happened in this case.
You ordered a new car, offered an inventory car that has some discount.
You rejected that car which resulted the discount goes away.
now since the "existing inventory discount car" is not what they are delivering, they want to charge you without "existing inventory discount" car.

So my questions on tesla

3, why Tesla let the problematic inventory on the market? It's a shame. Small issues do not matter for Tesla?

"Problematic" is in the eyes of the beholder. There are many vehicles that are rejected by some people that are perfect to other people.

Misaligned panels are not problematic, they just need to be aligned.

As I mentioned, you aren't picking up from a dealer that makes money on the car. They have to go through the pains to get the car "show ready"

How many Tesla centers have you seen with acres of space for cars? They are very few, if any. Tesla doesn't keep inventory like car dealers do. Their lots don't have the space, and that means that Tesla isn't paying for acreage.

The issues do indeed mean something to Tesla, and they are happy to fix them. It's just done differently from dealers.

It seems that the discounts on Model Y's are a bit higher now in early Q2 2024. My configured Model Y long-range with white exterior, white interior, 7-seats and tow hitch comes to $54,990, but there is a new inventory car with same specs for $49,590, a savings of $5,400! Oregon has a $2500 EV Rebate (and $7500 rebate for lower income) running just from April 3 to June 3.

Including the $1,390 Destination Fee, $250 Order Fee and State ($7500) and Federal ($7500) rebates, I'll be getting a full featured Model Y for just $36,230!

I may not qualify for the low income in 2025 so I'm pulling the trigger on this vehicle. I plan to wait a year or so after the new Model Y Juniper comes out, hoping they'll start discounting again, and buy another one. I'll give this car to my daughter who may be planning kids...

Reactions: kpanda17
It seems that the discounts on Model Y's are a bit higher now in early Q2 2024. My configured Model Y long-range with white exterior, white interior, 7-seats and tow hitch comes to $54,990, but there is a new inventory car with same specs for $49,590, a savings of $5,400! Oregon has a $2500 EV Rebate (and $7500 rebate for lower income) running just from April 3 to June 3.

Including the $1,390 Destination Fee, $250 Order Fee and State ($7500) and Federal ($7500) rebates, I'll be getting a full featured Model Y for just $36,230!

I may not qualify for the low income in 2025 so I'm pulling the trigger on this vehicle. I plan to wait a year or so after the new Model Y Juniper comes out, hoping they'll start discounting again, and buy another one. I'll give this car to my daughter who may be planning kids...
we are slowly converting the family and friends over to Tesla, four done so far
interesting we had a chance for a fifth, but the young pregnant couple could not be convinced L1-2 charging at their rental home could happen successfully
its my niece and her father, my brother a new MYLR owner, could not be convinced using the L1 daily charging video of the person in Norway...great video if you have not seen it