Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone dumping their Model X for a Jaguar I-Pace?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would ditch my I-pace if a refresh X without Falcon Doors came out - or the Y.

Not comparing to an X, as I owned an 2017 S90D, but both have their qualities. Main improvment over the S is seating position, the sport seat, the suspension setup and the lower noise levels (insulated glass) and the matrix headlights. Range will be around 250-300 kms at 100 km/h average, so a bit dissapointing there - hoping for a software tuning like the 85Ds back in the days. The software guys at infotainment dep need to step up. But, The better car.

The Tesla of course had the much better infotainment, smarter usability, the better autoparking and autonomy and app. Supercharging and charging in general is better and way more cargo room. Cabin room pretty similar but interior layout is smarter in the Tesla. Rides a bit rougher, much more noise from tires and wind. Biggest setback here is service center waiting times. Definetly the better Battery electric car.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
But I agree, plenty of old farts around who think the Jaguar brand still means something special. Even more who think the German brands are unbeatable.

True but those are the dying breed I must say. That is even true for the Porsche brand. It was pretty much on everyone's dream car list in my younger time. Now if you ask millennials or young Silicon Valley techies few care about those cars. They all want a Tesla. Those brands still sell a lot of cars in China though. Although I can't imagine that will not change too.

Reactions: Peteski
Main improvment over the S is seating position, the sport seat, the suspension setup and the lower noise levels (insulated glass).

Your perception on noise is exactly what am talking about when it comes to our brains ability to generate prejudice based on assumptions rather than fact.

Lots of people have said the iPace is quiter than a Tesla, but actual objective measure just don't show this.

For many the Jaguar brand will equal better quality than Tssla regardless of facts. But its why the iPace is a great addtion to the EV world, plenty of people will buy a Jag rather than a Tesla, especially in Europe.

Reactions: Peteski
Your perception on noise is exactly what am talking about when it comes to our brains ability to generate prejudice based on assumptions rather than fact.

Lots of people have said the iPace is quiter than a Tesla, but actual objective measure just don't show this.

For many the Jaguar brand will equal better quality than Tssla regardless of facts. But its why the iPace is a great addtion to the EV world, plenty of people will buy a Jag rather than a Tesla, especially in Europe.

Sorry, that is not an objective measure. And I respect TB highly.

Drive it yourself.

I think people are overstating both range anxiety and the supercharger network. Think about the last time you saw a Jaguar XJ on an interstate cross-country drive. Statistically speaking - never. The Jaguar demographic isn't taking very many long drives. When they do travel, it's by air. And the range anxiety issue is only relevant if ALL of your vehicles are electric. Not many one-car Jaguar households out there.

That being said, I've personally owned a Land Rover, a Jaguar, and now own a Tesla Model S. I've also already test driven the I-Pace and test drove a Model X P100. The Jaguar is nice. It already has reports of range exceeding the EPA number for some reason, and it's 0-60 time has been reported at 4.0, which is better the Jaguar's claimed 4.5. That being said, I'd probably by a used Model X before I'd by the I-Pace if I wanted a larger vehicle. And the X is substantially larger than the Jaguar. Ultimately, I thought the most bang for my buck was a Model S.

But if you must have new, an I-pace fully loaded is 90k. The X is significantly more. Especially with the tax credit phase-out problem.

The 3 is too slow for my tastes. But it's a neat car.

How fast is your car? Quicker than 3.5 0-60?

I can’t believe the iPace is still a thing once the real world range data got out.

Funny straw man to see the iPace range doesn’t matter since few people go cross contry in a Model X.

You can’t go cross STATE in an iPace without range anxiety.

• Disagree
Reactions: JMatt
Sorry, that is not an objective measure. And I respect TB highly.

Drive it yourself.

In what way is it not objective? It might not be a complete test, but it is objective in measuring sound level in that one spot. Driving it yourself is however very subjective indeed! One of the popular British motoring magazines also tested noise levels between iPace and MS and found the MS objectively quieter (yes they were surprised too) and the difference was quite significant. From other subjective comments I've heard, some people say the iPace is whisper quiet, others seem surprised how noisy it is. Same goes for the MX and MS. I think our MX is subjectively pretty quiet and relaxing, but some people find them really noisy. I drove a newish loaner MS the other day and it seemed quieter than our MX at low speed and actually noisier at high speed, although there was a lot of wind noise around the driver's door mirror, so could have been badly fitting - didn't bother checking.

• Informative
Reactions: IdaX
it's 0-60 time has been reported at 4.0, which is better the Jaguar's claimed 4.5.

Well we know the iPace managed to pull out literally just one car length ahead of a MX 75D and 100D to 60 mph, which is not a big deal. Perhaps more interestingly the MX 100D beat the iPace quite comfortably from a 50 mph rolling start. Jaguar didn't seem to mention that bit in their press release! Let's face it, straight line performance is not an issue for any of these big electric SUVs!

Reactions: JMatt