Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone else have Time of Use (TOU) rates with Eversource?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Same here using Eversource + solar panels. Only have net-meter installed now but considering about switching to TOU. Anyone tried successfully with solutions mentioned above? How it goes? So what is the exact steps?
#1 call eversource to switch to TOU or call customer service or sent out email to right person first and re-submit schedule Z?
#2 never filed schedule z before so any advise on it? It seems cumbersome to me.

Same here using Eversource + solar panels. Only have net-meter installed now but considering about switching to TOU. Anyone tried successfully with solutions mentioned above? How it goes? So what is the exact steps?
#1 call eversource to switch to TOU or call customer service or sent out email to right person first and re-submit schedule Z?
#2 never filed schedule z before so any advise on it? It seems cumbersome to me.

Unfortunately, Eversource terminated their Time of Use rates in February 2018 as part of the latest rate case approved by the DPU. They claimed that too few people were using it (although I did not understand how cancelling it addressed that point!) and made some other points I have since forgotten about the economics of the rates.

Clarification -- Eversource still offers TOU rates for large commercial and industrial customers, but not for residences.

Their full set of electric rates for eastern Massachusetts is here: https://www.eversource.com/content/...a-greater-boston-rates.pdf?sfvrsn=c27ef362_30

Other rate sets apply to other territories.

ES is supposed to revisit TOU in a future docket. Not sure if it is up yet on DPU website, among all the others, but that is what I heard. Watch this space.

It has been a painful year, for yours truly. $.24/KWh first half, and about $.22 the second, was about the all-in rate on the standard R1 plan. On TOU, with all the off-peak weekends, holidays and timed AM charging, my average rate jumped from about $.16. According to Eversource's claims in last years docket, I would have had to have been among the ~200 people on TOU.

Does anyone have similar info for TOU with National Grid? They offer it in New York I believe, and there are mentions of it on their site, but I got nothing but big NOs when I tried asking customer service last year.

Point them to ...

Service Rates | Bills, Meters & Rates | National Grid

Time-of-Use (R-4)

For customers requiring special and complex metering for service, the availability of this rate will be subject to the Company's ability to render such service. Any residential customer whose average usage exceeds 2,500 kWh/month for a 12 month period may elect to take service under this rate effective with installation of appropriate metering.

Customer Charge $20.00/month
Distribution Charge (Peak Hours*) 13.833¢/kWh
Distribution Charge (Off-Peak Hours*) 3.878¢/kWh
Transmission Charge 2.730¢/kWh
Transition Charge (0.040)¢/kWh
Energy Efficiency Charge 1.786¢/kWh
Renewables Charge 0.050¢/kWh

Same 2.5kkWh restriction, making it incredibly limiting.

Sad.

Here in Maine, under CMP it's $10.17/month, instead of effectively $7.58, and there's no lower usage limit. The Supersaver tariff I'm on used to be stupidly expensive, but is now the same as the regular TOU tariff (and much better for me.)

• Informative
Reactions: jeffco98