Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone else having "Loading Error" with Slacker

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got my Model X back today with 2017.46.8 installed and supposedly issue resolved with Slacker. Not true, within 5 miles after leaving SC, same issues with reloading songs on Slacker. Interestingly my Model S had no issues today with older firmware when I drove it about an hour or so.

So.... Issues still exist for me with latest firmware.

Got a similar story from the SC as another person posted; that the Slacker stations need to individually be updated by Tesla. Makes no sense really and if it were true at least the Hits station would work properly at this point I would think and it does not.

Got a similar story from the SC as another person posted; that the Slacker stations need to individually be updated by Tesla. Makes no sense really and if it were true at least the Hits station would work properly at this point I would think and it does not.
Do you think they mean each station for each person? Anyone can have tens or hundreds of individuals stations, tailored to their music. i agree, this makes NO sense whatsoever.

Do you think they mean each station for each person? Anyone can have tens or hundreds of individuals stations, tailored to their music. i agree, this makes NO sense whatsoever.

Yeah I said the same thing to the Tech and he just said that is what he was told. I think some times they are just told something to say about an issue while it is being worked on that most non-tech people will accept, at least it seems that way.

Reactions: Iluvpcs
When I wrote to Tesla and asked that they escalate attention to this issue, they wrote back with several questions. One question was to describe the various scenarios I have experienced. So, I generated this list. Posted here for people's reference and comparison.

o Start a podcast successfully, play for a period, pause. Podcast resumes from where it was left. This scenario rarely occurs and probably occurs only if the car is not off or is off for only a short time.

o Start a podcast successfully, play for a period, pause. Leave car. Return. Podcast has returned to the start. This is the most common behavior in the past few weeks. When combined with the inability to slide the cursor to resume part-way through (described below), this is what caused me to mostly give up trying to use the podcasts.

o Start a podcast successfully, play for a period, pause. Leave car. Return. Podcast playback has changed to a different episode. This happened today at one of my stops, but does not happen often.

o Start a podcast successfully, play for a period, pause. Leave car. Return. Audio system has switched sources. This tends to happen with long periods between stopping the car and re-starting it, such as overnight. This also sometimes happens when I am listening to sources other than TuneIn, such as the USB stick.

o Try to start a podcast, encounter Loading Error. Episode cannot be started and the controls for Pause, Stop, Play, etc., are all inoperable. Click on a different audio source, or click on a different podcast. Play the alternate source for a few seconds, then pause. Switch back to the original podcast. Podcast loads successfully and plays.

o Try to start a podcast, encounter Loading Error. Episode cannot be started and the controls for Pause, Stop, Play, etc., are all inoperable. Click on a different audio source, or click on a different podcast. Play the alternate source for a few seconds, then pause. Switch back to the original podcast. Podcast still will not play. Skip to the next episode or switch podcasts, or switch audio sources. Come back another day for the intended podcast.

o Start a podcast successfully, play for a while, encounter Loading Error. Podcast episode cannot be played at that time. Switch sources or podcast.

o Play a previously started podcast. Attempt to fast-forward part-way through the podcast by clicking and dragging on the time track cursor. Cursor moves ahead but only in increments of one or two minutes. And cursor will not allow multiple jumps in a short period of time. Moving ahead more than 5 or 6 minutes requires one or two minutes or more, several jumps, and pausing between. If attempting to go ahead more than 10 minutes or so, it becomes impractical and I gave up. This is the second common behavior that caused me to give up on TuneIn. It became impractical to listen to a portion of a podcast, lose my place as described above, and then find that place again.

o New scenario today: When I was testing today to prepare these notes, I listened to one episode of “CarTalk” for 10 or 15 minutes (episodes are 60 minutes). Once I was past some point, I found that I could indeed fast forward successfully by sliding the cursor on the timeline. I suspect that the downloaded podcast had been cached so that the system could move me quickly through the stored file. (This is a guess.) I am not sure exactly how long I was listening when I reached the point at which I could slide the cursor normally.

o Start a podcast successfully, play for a period, pause. Player continues to play the podcast but displays the “Play” symbol. Leave car for a few minutes. Return to the car, find that TuneIn had switched to a different podcast entirely.

o Start a podcast successfully, listen for 10-15 minutes. Park and exit the car. Return to the car the next day. Podcast resumes playing the same episode from approximately the place where play stopped the day before. Time track starts from 0:0 even though several minutes have elapsed. The time graph shows only about 30 or 40 minutes remaining, but the episodes are 60 minutes long. After listening for a few minutes, use the cursor to move the point of play, find can move ahead, but cannot return to a point before the time when play started today. [New behavior seen only once, just this week.]

• Informative
Reactions: Krash and GTIceman
Along with that list is just the opposite. Start podcast. Listen to entire thing. Mark as listened to. Switch source inputs to anything else. Leave car, return. SAME PODCAST STARTS AUTO-PLAYING from the beginning. There was a period a few months ago, NOTHING I could do to stop this behavior. I finally had to delete EVERY SINGLE PODCAST from my phone until it stopped trying to play a podcast. Extremely frustrating.

David: I can concur with pretty much all of your scenarios. If they are asking for more details or who else has these problems, let me know and I’ll give you my cars details.
In my response to Tesla, besides giving the answers to their specific questions (including the list of scenarios above), I provided links to some of the TMC threads on this topic, including this one.

Slacker is getting unusable for me as well. Just adding to the chorus. About a 50/50 shot it will work without getting a loading error and then last night it basically struggled so hard it rebooted the computer. I don't know for sure if those 2 things are related, but the timing of the reboot seemed to suggest it.

I've got what seems like a related problem to this... random and frequent "pauses" regardless of the source... iPhone on BT or USB.. between songs the source will just pause for no reason at all.. and no, I'm not hitting the pause button. Loading errors continue in Streaming, USB, and BT. Also, when playing on USB if I stop mid-song, the media player repeats the same song next time I get in the car. When doing lots of short trips, I'm listening to the same song like three times before I realize it's happening again.

Glad-but-sad to realize this problem isn't confined to my car. I was beginning to believe an antenna had dislodged, or some other logical explanation. Based on what I've read, I will switch to cellphone-based streaming/downloads . . . just like I had to do in "old" pre-Tesla cars.

I received a reply today from the Tesla Executive Care Team in response to the data I had sent earlier (see post #110 above).

Here is what they wrote:
"I just wanted to touch base with you. All of the details you provided were sent over to our technicians for review. I do apologize for the delay - however they are still reviewing this information and have not yet found a resolution.

"They have determined that what you are experiencing is something they are currently working to correct - as TuneIn stations are known to run at a higher rate than our vehicles are currently able to support. We appreciate the details you have provided and will work to get this corrected as quickly as possible."

So, they acknowledge it is a general problem (i.e., not just my car) and say they are working on it. The answer raises some questions for me, namely along the lines of "What changed? Why did it used to work so much better than it does now?" But I will refrain from asking Tesla that and simply hope for a resolution soon -- maybe in my Christmas stocking!

I am so annoyed by this loading error. I own a 2017 100D and have extensively driven six or seven other 2017 Model X/S cars with and without premium audio and they all have the loading problem. It doesn’t matter how many bars I have on LTE, every car coughs out load errors and it has gotten worse not better with last update to 2017.50.1. The fact that it has not been fixed yet does not bode well to it being fixed without some major software change.