Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone got HW3 retrofit yet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No i have a model 3. I made friends with one of the service guys and he just keeps an eye out for any updates. I guess they received a bunch of retrofit kits in and my Vin happened to be on the list of cars ready for upgrade so i made an appointment through the app and service approved it.

Wow, now that’s a late VIN to be sure!

Yeah, I was quite surprised myself, didn't expect anything until at least April based on the VINs I've seen flagged.

Edit: someone on Reddit just reported an upgrade for VIN 190XXX. So I guess this is happening now.

they actually contacted you about it unprompted? Call, text, email?

No, they didn't contact me. I stopped at the SC to ask about backordered parts for body repair and see if they'd give me a loaner while I wait for a few that are not available. No info on parts (the SA literally said "it's a crap shoot" - yay!), no loaner, but they checked the VIN and the upgrade showed up. I had asked the same SA about it in the past and he always said that the moment it becomes available, they'll text me. So I guess this is another nail in the coffin of the idea that Tesla reaches out about these. Then again, maybe he just wanted to make me feel better - I'll admit I was pretty mopey after thinking about the parts wait time.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Knightshade
Two weeks ago, just tried to schedule through the app... apt got canceled with a message about how they will let me know when my car is eligible.

Tried again yesterday and this time I got a text back from Tesla asking which service center in my area I wanted to go to. So theoretically, I am scheduled for Feb 26. Fingers crossed.

Dec 2018 build. VIN 160xxx

Reactions: EinSV
Which vehicle? By the delivery dates of your older model S/X vehicles, looks like they have MCU1, so I am guessing you are talking about an HW3 upgrade for your new X100D which should have MCU2. But I would love it if I were wrong.
I'm speaking of the 2018 MX. Still haven't heard back via the service reservation app, so assume i'm on for Thursday.

Here is my HW3 computer update experience which was very positive and better than I expected.

Model 3 dual motor
Vin 113xxx
Delivery Dec 2018 with EAP
Bought FSD for the $2k fire sale price.

Requested via app the hw3 update in December, told via text Not ready yet. Tried again in early January and told not ready via text and to check back in February.

Requested again on February 1. After a few days text said it couldn’t be done via mobile service. A few days later text msg said it was scheduled at the new service center in superior Colorado. I revised the date / time via the app with out issue.

Received an invoice online showing $0 for the HW3 update which I accepted online.
Received a phone call confirming my appointment and asking if I had any questions.
Dropped car off at 9am today. They offered a loaner or $100 Uber voucher.

Got a text around 1:30p saying the service was complete. Picked car up. No issues. Cameras were calibrated.

Car lost my iPhone audio/calendar/notifications syncing but my two driver profiles and 2 phones as keys and 2 key cards were still there. Paired phone for audio etc without issue.

Car lost WiFi network information so logged it back into my network.

Car went in on 2020.4.10 and after update was at 2020.4.1

The service person told me the hardware install part is relatively quick and that the firmware is what takes the longest and or can have issues and or causes uncertainty in the overall install time estimate.

couldn’t be happier with the process.

• Informative
Reactions: VValleyEV
On the other hand there's still no functional benefit to HW3 (just visualization differences)- and Tesla does rev parts over time.... so waiting could be a good idea to:

A) Get a newer version of the part.... (I don't mean like HW4, but you might get rev 5 of HW3 instead of rev 4 or whatever)

and

B) Let the SC get really used to doing them on model 3s (where the install is more complex than on S/X)
No functional benefit? Much faster computer for one

No functional benefit? Much faster computer for one

...which helps literally not at all right now since they're yet to roll out any native HW3 behavior or code.

a top of the line gaming computer and and 10 year old one, both running pac man, can both run pac man just as well as each other.

So yes, there's no functional benefit at all, unless you consider "displaying things the car doesn't react any differently to than a HW2.x car" to be functional I guess?

In theory there's functional benefit in the future (which is kinda the point of HW3 existing) but none of that code is actually available to regular end users yet.