Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone got HW3 retrofit yet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla released this timeline for AP3 upgrades:
EUXv5EXVAAUh326

Full Self-Driving Computer Installations
How does this jive with infotainment?

Attachments

• B4AC43F4-D921-4F64-B1C9-AA43486D7A69.jpeg
    B4AC43F4-D921-4F64-B1C9-AA43486D7A69.jpeg
    175.7 KB · Views: 94
wonder where that puts my X, Ap2.5 but MCU 1 (sept 2017).
MCU1 falls under "Global Autopilot Computer: 2.0 and 2.5 Built March 2018 or earlier" where the key is "March 2018" is when MCU2 was introduced for S/X.

Although if you're willing to pay for the MCU2 upgrade to get FSD computer now, the latest from Infotainment Upgrade currently shows:
Code:
Configuration                                              Beginning Availability
Autopilot Computer 2.5 with Full Self-Driving Capability   Scheduling Now
Autopilot Computer 2.0 with Full Self-Driving Capability   Late April
All remaining Model S and Model X owners                   Coming Soon

Last edited:
MCU1 falls under "Global Autopilot Computer: 2.0 and 2.5 Built March 2018 or earlier" where the key is "March 2018" is when MCU2 was introduced for S/X.

Although if you're willing to pay for the MCU2 upgrade to get FSD computer now, the latest from Infotainment Upgrade currently shows:
Code:
Configuration                                              Beginning Availability
Autopilot Computer 2.5 with Full Self-Driving Capability   Scheduling Now
Autopilot Computer 2.0 with Full Self-Driving Capability   Late April
All remaining Model S and Model X owners                   Coming Soon

your right, totally misread that chart.

So my LR RWD was a July 2018 delivery (VIN 444xx) and I purchased both EAP and FSD afterwards (9/2018 and 8/2019, for a total of $8500). I'll be the control case for NOT contacting Tesla and see how long it takes for my number to come up.

Lol

LOL ... good luck getting them to proactively call you in 2021 ROFL
So I just got off the phone with the Santa Clara Service Center. They proactively called me to say that my car is eligible for the HW3.0 upgrade and that they now can do it via mobile service. My appointment is 10 days from now, April 30th. I have not contacted them in any way concerning this upgrade so it only took 4 months for them to get to me.

Just scheduled a HW3 upgrade on my 2018 Model 3 at the Alpharetta, GA location for May 1st. Used the phone app and the directions noted above. Received a confirmation email about 5 minutes later. I’ll provide an update once complete (or get the call “sorry, we are out of HW3 boards at this time”).

Just scheduled a HW3 upgrade on my 2018 Model 3 at the Alpharetta, GA location for May 1st. Used the phone app and the directions noted above. Received a confirmation email about 5 minutes later. I’ll provide an update once complete (or get the call “sorry, we are out of HW3 boards at this time”).

Well, that did not take long. The Alpharetta service center contacted me to let me know they don’t have any HW3 boards at this time. They said they would put me on a list and will reschedule when they have more available.

• Informative
Reactions: Gt1948
Follow-up to my post from yesterday....

I got an email a few minutes after my phone call confirming my mobile service appointment's date, time and place. I also received a text this morning from the Service Team with the same instructions for prepping my car for a "touchless experience" and contact preferences for their social distancing practice.

I went back and scanned all of the posts in this thread since I made my statement about being a control case for not calling Tesla (Dec. 24, 2019; all 16 pages). It appears that I'm the first to report getting contacted for the upgrade without asking for it (or for any other service work for that matter). I didn't mind the 4 month wait. It gave the service techs experience to do the job right.

• Informative
Reactions: israndy and Gt1948
Follow-up to my post from yesterday....

I got an email a few minutes after my phone call confirming my mobile service appointment's date, time and place.

I was told that the FSD retrofit couldn't be done by mobile service on a Model 3 because of the liquid cooling. You may be one of the first to have it done by mobile service. Can anyone confirm having a Model 3 retrofit done by mobile service? Where?

I was told that the FSD retrofit couldn't be done by mobile service on a Model 3 because of the liquid cooling. You may be one of the first to have it done by mobile service. Can anyone confirm having a Model 3 retrofit done by mobile service? Where?
That's what I had thought I read somewhere here too (i.e., rangers not being able to do the HW upgrade). Well, it's four days before my appointment so I'll be back here to let you all how it went. If I do get the swap-out from the mobile service, I'll ask the tech about how common it is now and if it's something that all SCs are able to do.

Reactions: DDotJ
I scheduled the upgrade in Finland for May 19th. They canceled it yesterday saying the upgrade is not yet available in the EU. That doesn’t seem to be correct based on this thread, but I suppose it’s still a little early. Will try to book again in May, since then it’s officially the scheduling period.

I scheduled a HW3 upgrade for my May 2018 Model S at the Tesla Littleton in Colorado.

I received a call from the service center directly today confirming they have the HW3 computer and I am confirmed for the upgrade tomorrow morning! They implemented the contactless drop-off, so we’ll see how that goes. I also will have Uber credits back and forth so I don’t have to wait around.

• Informative
Reactions: Gt1948
Picking my UK June 2018 MS tomorrow, 2 year checks, 4 new tires, HW3 Upgrade :) I don’t expect much of a difference from my 2.5 computer apart from some minor visualisation improvements but very excited anyway :cool:

That's what I had thought I read somewhere here too (i.e., rangers not being able to do the HW upgrade). Well, it's four days before my appointment so I'll be back here to let you all how it went. If I do get the swap-out from the mobile service, I'll ask the tech about how common it is now and if it's something that all SCs are able to do.

I also just had an FSD Computer upgrade switched to mobile service -- scheduled for next week.

From the discussion I had with the person scheduling appointments it sounds like this is still at a pilot project stage and very limited in scope for now, but your mobile service tech can probably provide an update.

Last edited: