Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone LR AWDs Showing 322 Miles Fully Charged?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So it seems like very few people actually see the new advertised range of 322? I have a 2020 that was made a few days ago but I guess I only get 310 since its a P3D- even though it has the 18" wheels which is what I thought enabled the EPA range of 322 miles. Weird!

Yep - 322 at 100% SOC

What software version are you on? Could you also take a picture of your Energy -> Consumption graph, showing rated miles on the battery gauge, current efficiency, and projected (average, not instantaneous) range? This should give us a good idea of whether constants have changed, as long as we can see those three numbers in the same picture. Doesn’t matter what efficiency your current efficiency is...those three numbers are all that are needed to determine the charging constant.

For the 322 mile range, pictures or it didn't happen I guess at this point. Another picture in addition to above of miles and %, taken at the same time would be good enough, doesn't have to be at 100%...

Sounds like you have a unicorn, in any case!

Based on the EPA website the Stealth 2020 should also get 322 at some point.

Still remains to be seen whether this is a simple constant change or something else. Also remains to be seen whether efficiency improvements are already made and whether they will apply to all vehicles or only 2020 (will likely be difficult to determine on old vehicles...on new vehicles if the constant is reduced, presumably that means it is more efficient than it used to be...though not necessarily...have to see the EPA full testing documents for that determination - probably will be available in a couple weeks...).

Last edited:
I guess I only get 310 since its a P3D- even though it has the 18" wheels which is what I thought enabled the EPA range of 322 miles.

Just keep in mind that in the end all that matters is how much energy you have available and the efficiency of the drivetrain. It remains to be seen whether there are programming updates still to be released which would enable better efficiency or access to more of the battery. If the change in the number from 310 to 322 does neither of those things, then it really does not matter. The number they choose to display is really completely arbitrary, though in general is chosen to match the EPA rating to avoid confusion. For example, they could choose to display 620 range units and deem that each range unit contains ~115Wh. Would be a silly/confusing choice to do so, but it would not change anything.

My 2020 is October build as well. Maybe yours needs a "relearn" full deplete and 100% juice up.

Pictures! ;) See above. And software version info...

Last edited:
Reactions: mswlogo
Is Tesla putting something towards a buffer below 0% SOC?

There is a buffer of about 3.5kWh on older cars, AFAIK. Without CAN bus access on the newer cars, it's hard to say whether they are playing around with this value or not. Playing around with the size of the buffer would not change the EPA results (since they use the entire buffer regardless - they run the test until the vehicle stops moving...), but could change the displayed range without any change in the constant.

You may not get to use all that buffer, unless your power requirements are kept very low. You might droop the voltage enough under load to get it to shut down.

There is presumably another buffer (a different buffer) which tries to improve the chances that the battery is not irreversibly damaged ("bricked") if it is discharged all the way to automatic shut down. Though there are no guarantees...

Last edited:
There is a buffer of about 3.5kWh on older cars, AFAIK. Without CAN bus access on the newer cars, it's hard to say whether they are playing around with this value or not

What does older and newer cars refer to in this context? Newer Model 3's past a certain date dont have CANbus data?

My CANbus shows a 3.3kWh buffer for my 2017 LR RWD.

Screenshot_20191112-195204.jpg

so there is a buffer

Yes, as I said above. It's just that you don't want to count on it, as you will be severely power limited, and if you press the accelerator too hard the car may shut down and not restart. If you just want to explore sitting in your garage in *drive* running the heat to see how much energy you can use out of the buffer, I guess that's an option...though the trip meter doesn't update until you start rolling so that's problematic. In any case it's probably not the nicest thing to do to your battery.

It did that the first, and only time it was charged to 100%. It was maybe 2 months old. I use the energy display though so I don’t really pay much attention to the when, where, or how. I was plugging in at 50% and charging to 80% then, now I’m charging to 90% and plugging in daily. My commute today was 19 miles and used 26% with light snow one way. This is with 5-10 minutes preheating twice, heat on HI, leaving it running for maybe 20-30 minutes while shopping, and full throttle every corner. But still, my Leaf would get 1.2-1.4Mi/KWh in those conditions.

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
My commute today was 19 miles and used 26% with light snow one way.

That’s impressive! Assuming you're still at 282 @ 100% (which may be a faulty assumption), that implies:

282rmi *0.26 * 230Wh/rmi / 19 mi = 888Wh/mi

That's not too efficient!

To the extent your trip meter reads differently (lets say it was at a modest 500Wh/mi) that would imply your 100% charge would be now 500/888 *282rmi = 159rmi.

This is assuming of course that all of that 26% was used when the car was in drive (no preheating).

And... then you would be due for a warranty battery replacement (you would be hypothetically below 217rmi). But I'm sure you can extrapolate what your actual 100% charge is currently; there is no need to guess.

A few percent disappears when the car sits parked. I assume it’s staying awake for hours like it loves to do. And I typically get lunch, with a few minutes preheating and then repeated full throttle whenever possible. It usually stays awake another few hours after this. Then I preheat it before I leave, and follow that up with repeated full throttle while complaining about how 82 degrees isn’t warm enough to call ‘HI’. And I left the heat on HI while I got groceries so the snow would be melted on the car when I got back. The roads were just the right amount of icy to drift a bit with the Hakka 9’s, so that might ding the efficiency a touch. The trip meter usually says numbers in the high 400’s to mid 500’s. I’m struggling to break into the 600’s consistently. Driving hard with a cold battery appears to be a huge killer, much worse than I expected. It was very much the same in my Leaf. I could get literally double the range in the Leaf driving gently when the pack is cold, but that’s no fun.

When the battery warms up the range is great, even in cold weather with the heat hammered. The cold battery and driving in a less than savory fashion is brutal. Everywhere I typically go isn’t all that far, so the pack warms up a bit and then cools down before it’s driven again.

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
A few percent disappears when the car sits parked. I assume it’s staying awake for hours like it loves to do. And I typically get lunch, with a few minutes preheating and then repeated full throttle whenever possible. It usually stays awake another few hours after this. Then I preheat it before I leave, and follow that up with repeated full throttle while complaining about how 82 degrees isn’t warm enough to call ‘HI’. And I left the heat on HI while I got groceries so the snow would be melted on the car when I got back. The roads were just the right amount of icy to drift a bit with the Hakka 9’s, so that might ding the efficiency a touch. The trip meter usually says numbers in the high 400’s to mid 500’s. I’m struggling to break into the 600’s consistently. Driving hard with a cold battery appears to be a huge killer, much worse than I expected. It was very much the same in my Leaf. I could get literally double the range in the Leaf driving gently when the pack is cold, but that’s no fun.

When the battery warms up the range is great, even in cold weather with the heat hammered. The cold battery and driving in a less than savory fashion is brutal.

Yeah, that pretty much all adds up. You've probably got at least 250 rated miles at 100% still.

Status
Not open for further replies.