Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone LR AWDs Showing 322 Miles Fully Charged?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The day I charged to 100%, I was taking a ~140 mile trip and figured I’d try charging to 100% like all the cool kids do. It was a mild day, but started raining on the return trip. I don’t recall the exact numbers, but I averaged something like 260wh/mi over the trip with heat on the way back driving 80mph. The way there I was getting very low 200’s while drafting semis and the energy graph was showing some absurd range that was likely achievable. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with the car, and I don’t believe the cars indicated range is terribly accurate. Up until that point the battery was never above 80% and I never discharged it below the mid 50’s, so maybe it just has no clue and starts ticking off miles.

So out of curiosity, was your 100% charge when this picture was taken about 300 rated miles?

(73.6kWh-3.3kWh ) / 234Wh/rmi = 300.5rmi

Just looking for datapoints...

315 miles is what the charging screen showed. It is down a bit from the 324 I used to get after the upgrade, but not as low as I thought it had gotten (308 max) after a couple 100% charges.

315 miles is what the charging screen showed. It is down a bit from the 324 I used to get after the upgrade, but not as low as I thought it had gotten (308 max) after a couple 100% charges.

Ah...whoops thought you had AWD (even though it says 2017 right in the signature...)

So should be:

70.3kWh/223Wh/rmi = 315rmi

(Source: Lines & Constants)

So it all checks out!

So, based on 315 miles and 73.6 kWh at 100%, that would be a charge constant of 73.6/315 = 233.7, or probably 234 whole number constant. If the constant for 310 miles rated range is 245, then 245/234 = 1.047. Multiplying 310 x 1.047 gives 324.6, or rounded to 325 rated miles.
So, your numbers do seem to add up for a car with a 325 mile rated range baseline.

So, based on 315 miles and 73.6 kWh at 100%, that would be a charge constant of 73.6/315 = 233.7, or probably 234 whole number constant. If the constant for 310 miles rated range is 245, then 245/234 = 1.047. Multiplying 310 x 1.047 gives 324.6, or rounded to 325 rated miles.
So, your numbers do seem to add up for a car with a 325 mile rated range baseline.

I don’t think it works that way. The buffer is not included in the rated miles calculation. See my link above. So you subtract the buffer first. Easy enough to determine with a partial charge data point for the same car. Only one solution will work (meaning same formula used and matches the displayed rated miles). I have no CAN bus reader so I can only speculate based on posted data.

EDIT: I think your math works at 100% because the buffer is about 4.7% of the overall battery capacity. But at a partial charge you would likely find that the calculation using the formula you used no longer worked to provide a match to the displayed rated miles. But happy to edit my understanding in the face of clear evidence to the contrary.

Last edited:
65B9D393-AA85-447A-9D74-F4BC6939BFC2.jpeg

282. That’s seems bad. I’m I believe an aug 18’ build. LR AWD. Second time charging to 100%. Not sure that matters. Has lived it’s life on Hawai’i all 13k miles.

kid named the car..... not me!

I don’t think it works that way. The buffer is not included in the rated miles calculation. See my link above. So you subtract the buffer first. Easy enough to determine with a partial charge data point for the same car. Only one solution will work (meaning same formula used and matches the displayed rated miles). I have no CAN bus reader so I can only speculate based on posted data.

EDIT: I think your math works at 100% because the buffer is about 4.7% of the overall battery capacity. But at a partial charge you would likely find that the calculation using the formula you used no longer worked to provide a match to the displayed rated miles. But happy to edit my understanding in the face of clear evidence to the contrary.
I do have CAN data and it works exactly that way at all percentages, at least from 30% or so SOC, since I don't go below that.
I can post some data to back up what I am saying.
I agree that the buffer is not used in the calculation. I say that because for the above case, if he charged from 0% to 100% (buffer not touched because he didn't go below zero), then he would show 315 miles added x .234 kWh per rated mile = 73.7 kWh. The 73.7 kWh does not include the buffer because he never used it, so he didn't add it back.
At least that is what makes sense based on my numbers on my Model S. But I know the math certainly works in all cases for me.

View attachment 484503

282. That’s seems bad. I’m I believe an aug 18’ build. LR AWD. Second time charging to 100%. Not sure that matters. Has lived it’s life on Hawai’i all 13k miles.

kid named the car..... not me!

This is pretty typical for the August ‘18 vintage. That was a rough month at the Giga! I have a friend with a car from that month at 285. Similar miles at 100%.

Means about 3.3kWh + 282rmi * 234Wh/rmi = 69.2kWh available at 100%.

315 miles added x .234 kWh per rated mile = 73.7 kWh. The 73.7 kWh does not include the buffer because he never used it, so he didn't add it back.

I’d be interested in seeing that.
The thing is for the case above you mention we would be adding 70.3kWh per the CAN bus. (Going from 3.3kWh to 73.6kWh per the CAN bus.). But the charging screen would definitely show 234Wh/rmi * 315rmi = 73.7kWh added. I agree with that.

You can PM me data though...no need to derail this discussion.

Reactions: hcdavis3
18k miles here. I used to get 310 or a mile or two under it. I supercharged the other day and it only went to 290 at 100% and kept saying 'Calculating'. I guess calibration must be way off but 20 miles less from the rated 310 or now 322 seems exceptional.

View attachment 484223
View attachment 484225
Wow it’s still charging at 7kW at 100? You started charging from a pretty high state of charge, was your battery cold soaked?

not scared, just have had no reason. Even when I made a 1k mile trip it would not have made the journey any less stops so was no reason.

Edit: I mean from my house on the first leg. Never optimal to do that at a SC unless you like sitting a long time.

Lol, no. Of course it’s “optimal” to leave the first leg of a long trip at 100%. It will always save you time.

Scenario 1: leave your house for a long trip charged to 100%. Arrive at first charging stop with 40%. Need 80% to reach next charging stop, so you charge your car from 40 to 80% then head out.

Scenario 2: Leave your house for a long trip charged to 80%. Arrive at first charging stop with 20%. Need 80% to reach next charging stop, so you charge your car from 20 to 80% then head out.

Which charging session is shorter?

Status
Not open for further replies.