Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone LR AWDs Showing 322 Miles Fully Charged?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
2018 P3D+, recently swapped to 19" wheels. Showing 309 @ 100%.
Same here. With the 20ths. Have never actually went to 100 but with the app it predicts 308. Our dual Motor only goes to 300. And that happen after one of the updates. The jury is still out if this said 322 rated range is software or not. However we don’t really worry about it.

Right now, we only have 668 miles and the 100% charging marker is at 310 miles.

Interesting. I had not heard of anyone actually showing a 100% charge on an AWD of over 310 rated miles (higher values only applied to Performance so far). For that "315" number, you mean in the app, that's what it "predicted" it would be? If so, it can be very inaccurate, especially if you're at something like 20-50% state of charge. It's just a simple extrapolation which can be subject to large amounts of rounding error.

So, do be a little careful with these extrapolations. You do need to be charged to about 90% for it to be accurate, and even then, there may be some inaccuracy.

I do wonder, however, whether part of this extra 1.7kWh unlock that seems to be showing up now (293rmi20*265Wh/rmi20, 299rmi19*260Wh/rmi19, 313rmi18*248Wh/rmi18, all equal to 77.6kWh, which is higher than 310rmi*245Wh/rmi = 75.95kWh) relative to prior Performance vehicles is just Tesla displaying all the available energy right away, rather than hiding the first couple kWh of lost capacity from view, as they seemed to do before.

For now, I would sit tight for the first update of 2020. I anticipate they're going to be doing some modifications of the constant on the AWD to have them show the 322 number (but yours may never see this due to initial battery capacity loss). I also could be totally wrong. It's worth noting again that the number displayed without knowledge of the constant is not that useful. So keep an eye on that constant.

Last edited:
Interesting. I had not heard of anyone actually showing a 100% charge on an AWD of over 310 rated miles (higher values only applied to Performance so far). For that "315" number, you mean in the app, that's what it "predicted" it would be? If so, it can be very inaccurate, especially if you're at something like 20-50% state of charge. It's just a simple extrapolation which can be subject to large amounts of rounding error.

So, do be a little careful with these extrapolations. You do need to be charged to about 90% for it to be accurate, and even then, there may be some inaccuracy.

I do wonder, however, whether part of this extra 1.7kWh unlock that seems to be showing up now (293rmi20*265Wh/rmi20, 299rmi19*260Wh/rmi19, 313rmi18*248Wh/rmi18, all equal to 77.6kWh, which is higher than 310rmi*245Wh/rmi = 75.95kWh) relative to prior Performance vehicles is just Tesla displaying all the available energy right away, rather than hiding the first couple kWh of lost capacity from view, as they seemed to do before.

For now, I would sit tight for the first update of 2020. I anticipate they're going to be doing some modifications of the constant on the AWD to have them show the 322 number (but yours may never see this due to initial battery capacity loss). I also could be totally wrong. It's worth noting again that the number displayed without knowledge of the constant is not that useful. So keep an eye on that constant.
Going in for service on the 21st for a few minor issues with paint, brake light opening and rear trunk adjustment and will ask about this. I understand it is a projection when I am charging and it may be based on how we are driving. We will see what happens with the updates. Thanks.

and it may be based on how we are driving

It most definitely is not based on how you are driving. You don't need to worry about that.

It's just simple math as far as the error goes. For example, in a car with 310 miles at 100%, at 63 rated miles, at "20%" SoC, the car does not know it is at 20.3% SoC. So it will predict 63/0.20 = 315 rated miles. But this is simple extrapolation error; a moment later at 65 rated miles @ 21% SoC, it will project 310 rated miles. This is just a rough example, but it is easy to verify that it works this way in the app itself as your car charges.

What I'm saying is that for a 2020 AWD, from what I have heard, you definitely should not expect it to display 322 rated miles. Yet. Possibly ever. You should expect it to display 310 rated miles at 100%. But that does not mean that you do not have 322 rated miles available to use. All that matters is available energy and the vehicle efficiency - the rated miles number that is displayed is not meaningful in isolation (you always have to know the constant).

Last edited:
The most resent Tesla app will tell you what your current 100% estimate is if you go to the charging screen and pull the limit over to 100% now (don't lift your finger, the estimate shows while you are moving the line). I guess it might vary a mile or two from what it would actually estimate if you 100% charged, but my LR RWD 100% charges to 322 and if I pull it over that's what it also estimates.
Nice feature, my 12k-mile 2018 RWD shows only 306 available. That looks to be in the median here, though I'm annoyed to have never achieved better than a 315 estimated range.

Last edited:
You've got that backwards. It's based only on battery capacity and not avg Wh/mi.
Then why does it keep dropping? A few weeks ago, 80% was 248 miles, now it's 232. That can only be because it's estimating based on the actual energy usage. There's no way the battery capacity degraded that much. The car is only 3 months old and only has 3000 miles. 100% is only estimated to be 290. How?

Then why does it keep dropping? A few weeks ago, 80% was 248 miles, now it's 232. That can only be because it's estimating based on the actual energy usage. There's no way the battery capacity degraded that much. The car is only 3 months old and only has 3000 miles. 100% is only estimated to be 290. How?
Here's the entire ownership from new. We have been getting some cold weather here. It's been hitting as low as the 40s for a day or two. Otherwise, it's sporadically 60s and 70s.

Attachments

• IMG_20200119_200459.jpg
    IMG_20200119_200459.jpg
    492.2 KB · Views: 97
Here's the entire ownership from new. We have been getting some cold weather here. It's been hitting as low as the 40s for a day or two. Otherwise, it's sporadically 60s and 70s.

It could be temperature, or it may be that your constant has changed (if this drop occurred literally overnight), or maybe you have lost battery capacity fairly rapidly. But you have a 2019 AWD, so I would not expect any constant changes. A good check: If you're at 232 rated miles at 80%, and you have NO regen dots at all, then your battery is likely showing pretty close to its true available capacity - that would indicate at 80% that the battery is not cold.

Anyway, if the battery is not cold, then you've just lost 4-5kWh of available energy. Or the BMS is confused (this seems like a very large drop over such a short time period so that is more likely in this case). You could try running it down to 10-20% and then recharging to near 100%, but I wouldn't expect too much from that.

Keep in mind that any energy that is missing with a chilly battery shows up again once it's warm.

If it's chilly, it's best to only pay attention to the rated miles number if you've just completed a long drive (for warmth), and then rapidly recharged (for warmth) the battery to above 80% (for accuracy). Obviously you have to look at the number when the battery is still warm, immediately after the charge completes.

Last edited:
I just took my M3 with only 700 miles and just under a month of ownership into the service center for a few minor body/paint issues and asked about the lower range (315 max) showing at 100% and was told it reflects an estimate based on driving efficiency as well as other conditions. My BMW does the same. He said I am doing pretty well to get 315.
What percent do you charge to, and how many miles does it display from the battery at that percent? What was the window sticker number for rated miles?

Status
Not open for further replies.