Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone LR AWDs Showing 322 Miles Fully Charged?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I ran into this post on the official Tesla board today. I have no idea if this is a valid email (noted spelling errors and grammatical issues) but I thought I would include the link for reference. If true, then it might (with the main emphasis being on weather) account for what we are seeing, although I still think that it is odd that the problem only started after an update.

A letter about range from Tesla | Tesla

Someone else had a graph (uncertain who on this forum) that showed a dip with temperature, only to rebound in the spring and summer. Hopefully that is what is happening. Would be interesting to hear from other EV brands if they are going through the same issues.

The EPA rates AWD cars at 322 miles and the Tesla site reflects that range for AWD cars and yet my AWD car only charges to 310 miles still.

But you didn't buy a Model 3 AWD. You bought a Model 3 Performance, stealth edition, didn't you? (Which Tesla doesn't list on their site, but appears to fall under the Model 3 Performance specs which is only rated for 310 miles of range.)

Reactions: Gasaraki
Yep - 322 at 100% SOC.

You have a 2020 LR AWD I gather.

If so, can you take a picture of the Energy consumption screen capturing the 1) rated miles remaining, 2) recent efficiency and 3) the projected range? All in the same picture at the same time...

Ideally, in a state where all of these numbers have three significant figures (so with a decent charge, most likely over 50%).

I ran into this post on the official Tesla board today. I have no idea if this is a valid email (noted spelling errors and grammatical issues) but I thought I would include the link for reference. If true, then it might (with the main emphasis being on weather) account for what we are seeing, although I still think that it is odd that the problem only started after an update.

A letter about range from Tesla | Tesla

Someone else had a graph (uncertain who on this forum) that showed a dip with temperature, only to rebound in the spring and summer. Hopefully that is what is happening. Would be interesting to hear from other EV brands if they are going through the same issues.

Good to see confirmation of the empirically determined 234Wh/rmi constant. Though it is just a Tesla employee email, so they may have got that info from this forum or a similar forum!

But you didn't buy a Model 3 AWD. You bought a Model 3 Performance, stealth edition, didn't you? (Which Tesla doesn't list on their site, but appears to fall under the Model 3 Performance specs which is only rated for 310 miles of range.)

Even regular 2020 LR AWD cars are not reporting 322 miles at full charge so something is up somewhere. The EPA test cycle doesn't use anywhere near a car's full acceleration so the fact that it's a "performance" doesn't inherently make it get worse range than a regular AWD and, in fact, a stealth inexplicably gets better range when using the same wheels. The only reason a full performance car gets a 310 mile rated range is because the wheels bring it down. Put the same 18" wheels on a performance and theoretically it should go slightly farther than a LR AWD.

The 2020 Stealth Performance is EPA rated for 322 miles, while the regular 20” 2020 Performance is rated for 298 miles.

Furthermore the Stealth Performance is voluntarily derated to match the range of the AWD (322 miles), which is actually less efficient than the Performance for 2020 (by about 2-3% as I recall).

This info is all available at fueleconomy.gov. But the full test details showing exactly what the differences are (presumably the Performance is just more efficient than the AWD!) are not available last I checked.

Reactions: diezel_dave
so, I think its safe to assume that there is "no change" with the battery pack size in 2020. The listed range uptick is based on the new software "hold" feature. Meaning, A LR AWD model 3 with 18" Aero wheels @ 234 Wh/mi avg and "hold" set could net the estimated 322.

Would still like to see a picture though ;)

The listed range uptick is based on the new software "hold" feature. Meaning, A LR AWD model 3 with 18" Aero wheels @ 234 Wh/mi avg and "hold" set could net the estimated 322.

I think that is far from clear. With the highway driving cycle, in 2018 the AWD got 297.2 miles. Now it gets 310.6mi (AWD) or 319.2mi (Performance 18"). The picture below is the highway cycle AFAIK (looks like they run it twice). It's hard to understand a 7.4% improvement in efficiency. The deceleration to 0mph from 60mph takes place over 25-30 seconds, which is a very modest coast down - so I can't even really see more aggressive regen being a factor.

Do note that there may have been other efficiency improvements in the past, after 2018 testing, so it's hard to say where we were prior to the hold mode driving feature (though they did not apply to the 2019 model year which have the same 297.2 miles).

To me, this looks like overall drivetrain efficiency improvements when power is applied, which may or may not have already been rolled out to the fleet, and may or may not be able to be rolled out to 2018/2019 vehicles (due to small hardware differences which we are currently unaware of).

Screen Shot 2019-12-11 at 10.24.26 AM.png

Last edited:
I have a 2020 LR AWD built in October that is showing 309 miles at theoretical 100%

90151A80-7473-421B-AB84-20F4E47E0D37.jpeg

The car also shows rated energy consumption at ~248 Wh/mile.

1D5562D6-F0F6-46BF-A391-5F0915CA8994.jpeg

The other thing I noticed is the emissions sticker on the trunk lid. It clearly states 2020 model year and test group LTSLV00.0L23. Assuming this corresponds to the less efficient power train and if we looked at a newer 2020 LR AWD it might have a different test group #?

2672CD18-78A6-4847-986B-95906AEAE0BF.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.