Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone not getting Enhanced Autopilot (EAP)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I spent about 1.5 hours this AM getting to work due to an accident miles ahead. I would have LOVED to have had EAP taking the wheel from me in that situation.

That sort of traffic is a daily occurrence to/from for me. TACC is what I mainly use and then I just have to watch out for semi's to my left or right where it will randomly decide they're coming into my lane and hit the brakes. EAP is still a bit risky but I'll use it occasionally as well.
EAP is definitely worth adding to the car for TACC alone. It's awesome.

That sort of traffic is a daily occurrence to/from for me. TACC is what I mainly use and then I just have to watch out for semi's to my left or right where it will randomly decide they're coming into my lane and hit the brakes. EAP is still a bit risky but I'll use it occasionally as well.
EAP is definitely worth adding to the car for TACC alone. It's awesome.

Yeah my commute is usually 1 hr each to/from, so I'll still get a lot of benefit from it during normal operating conditions.

This is not a surprise, so please don't reply with something like, "You should know it can't handle that." The problem is that this is the first time my car pulled off the road in the 5 months that I have been using EAP at this exact spot with the same contrasting lanes. I'm actually a little surprised it has been doing so well here.

Time of day and/or angle of the sun is possibly a reason for it doing worse this time than it has in the past. Even if you come through at the same time each time, the season changes and the angle of the sun is a little different, and suddenly the good lines aren't as discernible as they were, or the old bad ones are seemingly enhanced.

Reactions: Sawyer8888
Hopefully the TACC gets unbundled and offered for $1k or so. Sounds like there would be quite a few takers, me included.

I’d spring for the EAP package in future cars for my own use after using it on long trips in my S85D. But the way my wife will use the M3 makes the $5K for all the EAP features a very poor value.

But TACC is hard to give up once you’ve used it.

Very soon Tesla will be reporting their third-quarter results. If there are a lot of M3 cancellations (because of the July 28 pricing reveal), hopefully Tesla will reconsider some of their option pricing. I want EAP too; but the price is just too high.

In general, I don't see anything wrong with their pricing. Nor is any of it much of a surprise.

I don't get it.

You knew eap on the s/x cost $5k. It's the exact same product for the 3. Why would the price be different?

Post # 136:

bmzl, Sep 16, 2017 :

The primary determinant for most corporate pricing is to maximize profits. However, the price that maximizes profits is a function of demand elasticity. For a luxury car like an MS, demand elasticity is low, e.g. a $5000 increase in price is likely to produce a small decrease in demand. For a mass-market car like the M3, the demand elasticity should be much higher, e.g. a $5000 increase in price is likely to produce a large decrease in demand. Accordingly, Tesla would maximize its profits on the M3 with a price for EAP lower than $5000.

Moreover, Tesla is not a standard corporation: its mission statement is: "to accelerate the advent of sustainable transport by bringing compelling mass market electric cars to market as soon as possible."

Inasmuch as EAP has a marginal cost of zero, Tesla is free to price in accordance with its mission statement--producing a price for EAP much lower than $5000..

As long as there is a line around the corner willing to pay $20 for that hamburger, why would I reduce the price to $10?

-Person standing around the corner holding a Jackson and waiting for his burger.

The better analogy is whether you should charge $.50 or a dollar for the ketchup. You might find out that you make less money on the ketchup at a dollar and have a lot of people drop out of the line as well when they hear about the price of the ketchup.

Reactions: Stirfelt
The better analogy is whether you should charge $.50 or a dollar for the ketchup. You might find out that you make less money on the ketchup at a dollar and have a lot of people drop out of the line as well when they hear about the price of the ketchup.

And yet you have zero evidence that this is the case for Tesla and still continue to post about price elasticity and how they could improve profit by dropping the price. But you simply don't know that to be true here. That, and you have zero concept of how software pricing works it seems.

Reactions: Pkmmte
And yet you have zero evidence that this is the case for Tesla and still continue to post about price elasticity and how they could improve profit by dropping the price. But you simply don't know that to be true here. That, and you have zero concept of how software pricing works it seems.

Neither Tesla nor software is immune from the laws of economics. Tesla set the price of EAP based on the demand characteristics of the luxury market for the MS and MX. The mass market simply has greater elasticity of demand than the luxury market; that's really not controversial:
"Percentage of income
The higher the percentage of the consumer's income that the product's price represents, the higher the elasticity tends to be, as people will pay more attention when purchasing the good because of its cost;[25][26] The income effect is substantial.[30] When the goods represent only a negligible portion of the budget the income effect will be insignificant and demand inelastic,[30]"
[Wikipedia "price elasticity of demand"]

Accordingly, I do have evidence for my position. It is you who has not presented any evidence for yours.

Reactions: zmarty and CTreast