Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone refusing last software update - speed limit restriction?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1 time on Ca SR-14,

Out of curiosity, where on the 14 did it do that- in a straightaway or in the curves? From its junction with I5 all the way to Mojave you can safely go 5-10 over (the curves aren't too bad through the mountains). But north through the Red Rocks state park, those curves are dicey at speed, so I wouldn't be surprised if it slowed down there.

Out of curiosity, where on the 14 did it do that- in a straightaway or in the curves? From its junction with I5 all the way to Mojave you can safely go 5-10 over (the curves aren't too bad through the mountains). But north through the Red Rocks state park, those curves are dicey at speed, so I wouldn't be surprised if it slowed down there.

This was in the Acton / Agua Dulce area.

• Informative
Reactions: Az_Rael
Tesla recommends that AP only be used on divided highways. And Tesla is not "restricting" you to any speed below 130mph. Turn off AP, drive the old fashioned way (you know, with your hands and feet) and go as fast as you want.

Yes Tesla is "punishing" you by allowing you to drive any speed you want when not using AP. Wow, your life is hard...
No Tesla is not limiting you to any speed. The car will go up to 130mph or so. Just how crazy fast do you want to drive?

In my opinion these complains come down to this: "Elon I'm really mad because your cars don't allow me to break the law by exceeding the speed limit with my feet off the pedals and my hands not controlling the wheel and I insist that you let me do that even on undivided roads with cross traffic!".

When TACC restricts my speed suddenly to 50 on a 65MPH freeway than yes, TESLA is limiting my speed and putting myself and drivers around me at risk. And that is exactly what the latest code did to me 3 times on Christmas Eve. Driving 65 in a 65 (Freeway / divided highway) when suddenly our speed dropped to 50 and a "Speed restricted" message displayed.

• Informative
Reactions: QUBO and davidc18
Yep. I've never refused an update until this one. My commute is about 70 miles per day, round trip all on rural 2 lane highways. I used to set my cruise to +6 or 7. When the +5 restriction came in, I was okay at +5. But straight at the speed limit (which is slower than the flow of traffic) is a deal killer for me to update. So I'll keep refusing the updates. Not happy about this.

Reactions: BQst and davidc18
We are (mostly) law-abiding citizens, but pretty much the entire world's population with a driver's license ignores the posted speed limit "from time to time." When it comes to speeding, the cops could probably lock us all up.

Blowing through stop signs, traffic lights, ignoring people in crosswalks, and failing to use turn signals, they happen, too. But I don't see anyone insisting that they should be able to turn those features off.

So what could/should Tesla do?
Show a checklist of the Motor Vehicle Code and disable the ones you wish to ignore?
Probably not gonna happen.

If we take speeding as some kind of special case, then Tesla could probably come up with a big disclaimer that you are TOTALLY RESPONSIBLE if you choose to permit the Autopilot to accept your speed limit override, and keep a warning notice on the screen at all times Autopilot is engaged that your override is active.

There are probably still complaints and/or lawsuits against Tesla's Autopilot damaging the car while the speed limit was being exceeded. I can understand that Tesla's deep pockets do not really want to be the one declared even partially at fault if the driver was intentionally breaking the law.

-- Ardie
"Honest, officer! NOBODY was driving. We were all in the back, drinking."

We are (mostly) law-abiding citizens, but pretty much the entire world's population with a driver's license ignores the posted speed limit "from time to time." When it comes to speeding, the cops could probably lock us all up.

Blowing through stop signs, traffic lights, ignoring people in crosswalks, and failing to use turn signals, they happen, too. But I don't see anyone insisting that they should be able to turn those features off.

So what could/should Tesla do?
Show a checklist of the Motor Vehicle Code and disable the ones you wish to ignore?
Probably not gonna happen.

If we take speeding as some kind of special case, then Tesla could probably come up with a big disclaimer that you are TOTALLY RESPONSIBLE if you choose to permit the Autopilot to accept your speed limit override, and keep a warning notice on the screen at all times Autopilot is engaged that your override is active.

There are probably still complaints and/or lawsuits against Tesla's Autopilot damaging the car while the speed limit was being exceeded. I can understand that Tesla's deep pockets do not really want to be the one declared even partially at fault if the driver was intentionally breaking the law.

-- Ardie
"Honest, officer! NOBODY was driving. We were all in the back, drinking."
Totally agree, however if these vehicles are going significantly below the speed limit for some unknown reason then it should either be fixed or be made clear to the driver the reason for such action.

Does it encounter stretches of road with a suboptimal confidence? Would it rather the driver take control in these situations?
It is simply a bug that will fixed after the holiday? etc.

The speed limit is one thing but several mph under the speed limit is a little concerning.

Most of us are aware that Tesla is working closely with NHTSA to swiftly move towards approval of self-driving cars. I'm surprised that no one has yet mentioned that perhaps this speed limiting is coming from NHTSA, rather than Tesla.

I have a sneaking suspicion that Elon is fairly aggressive behind the wheel. And I assume he's always testing the latest software. So ask yourself why Tesla would do this, if there were no outside requirement to do so? Customers aren't happy about it. Your boss isn't going to like it. So why do it if not for the NHTSA?
Definitely not the case. See this twitter excerpt:
elon-twiiter.png
:

• Helpful
Reactions: EVCarGUy
I hope Tesla reads these posts and can accommodate Hazelwood's comments in addition to not exposing themselves to legal problems. AP technology should be helping us drive as we see fit, enhancing our situational awareness, avoiding accidents, while not creating the development of some sort of nanny-state driving ambience. MIght be a difficult needle to thread, but that's the fun of a challenge.

At the risk of getting burned at the stake on this thread, I am not sure I understand all the concerns here. Autopilot by it's very nature requires the driver to give up control to the car, so upon giving up control, AP will control the car as deemed necessary to make it safe. I don't see it as "nanny-state" driving, since the restrictions are only in place if you chose to use AP. You still have full control of the car if choose not to use AP. The logic is very circular here, you want control of your car, but you are willing to give up control of your car to a computer, but you want the computer to give you more control of the car.

I think it is also worth considering that when we drive a car, we are not the only ones at risk, other drivers and passengers are also at risk if our autonomous features are not safe.... think about it, would you safe on the road if Fiat (egad!) suddenly released unrestricted autonomous driving features in their cars? :)

The only way we are going to get autonomous driving is if Tesla can convince regulators, and insurance companies that it is 10 times safer. If everyone is going to insist that the car drive just as badly as they do, that will never happen.

Thank you kindly.
Agreed, and the sooner all the people who are ga ga about FSD realize this the better. Better for Tesla, better for their customers (and former customers).

Last edited:
I am fine with A.P. restricting a vehicle TO THE SPEED LIMIT exactly. Even on the freeway. I am one of those goody goods that actually does the speed limit (98% of the time) regardless of A.P. or not. What I am NOT OK with is A.P. reducing and then restricting my speed to less than 80% of the posted speed limit which is exactly what it did 3 times on Christmas Eve after "Updating" to the latest code and our speeds were reduced and "Restricted" to 50MPH on 3 different freeways (CA14, I5 and CA60) in those 65MPH zones.

Maybe I would be a little more OK with it if after the upgrade (or preferably before) I had been told that such restrictions would just randomly happen. Instead I was told, after the upgrade that I can now drive on mars, and I can better tune my stereo and I can learn about supercharger amenities and I can tie my profile to my FOB. Not a word though about expecting 20+ % sudden drop in speed and then being restricted to that speed of 50 in a 65 until I take corrective action.

TACC and it's sibling technologies by other names such as Adaptive Cruise Control, Active Cruise Control, Dynamic Cruise Control etc. is nothing new in the world of automotive technology.

• Informative
Reactions: QUBO
Anyone that thinks everyone going the exact speed limit is a good idea needs to spend a bit of time in Ohio.

Ohio is the only place in the world where you can have a bright beautiful sunny day on an eight lane highway with all the lanes moving at the exact same speed. Needed or not, cars are in every lane all crawling along at the same exact speed. Then, low and behold, out of the middle of nowhere you will have a twenty car pile up.

Some amount of relative speed is needed for efficiency IF humans are driving. You get everyone scared s'less of the cops writing you for one mile an hour over and, viola, you are Ohio.

My take on the whole big brother controlling you is simple:

If I'm responsible for driving the car, must use hands on steering wheel, most be ready to take over at anytime an algorithm feels it can't handle the situation, then I get to control the vehicle (speed and all) and use whatever aides are provided as I deem fit (like all other cars that have active cruise control and let me choose how I drive).

If Tesla is responsible for the driving, then I'm cool with whatever speed it deems fit. They also take on responsibility of whatever happens while I'm not in control.